PDA

View Full Version : VT[4] performance issues

perplexia
11-04-2008, 01:52 PM
I recently upgraded from VT[2] to VT[4] and I'm using it on the same PC and hardware as I was using when I was running VT[2].

This newer version is great, and I expeced that it probably wouldn't be as fast as VT[2] was since the computer is a little older, but I'm finding that VT[4] is running very slow at times, even when doing basic edits with a single track of video. I'm only using it for post-production editing. It's just basic stuff, no live switching or anything, but the software has crashed many times or "froze up" and usually skips during playback.

I can't have the software crashing all the time or skipping, so maybe there's some settings that some of you could suggest that I could adjust to make the software run more smoothly. Here's the specs of the PC I'm running it on:

Dell Precision 650
Xeon 2.4Ghz CPU
1Gb of Ram
LSI Logic 1020/1030 Ultra320 SCSI RAID controller
Four 4GB Quantum Atlas 10KIII SCSI ULTRA160 RAID hard drives
Matrox Millennium G550 video card
Newtek Video Toaster PCI card with daughter card
SX-8 Breakout Box

ted
11-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Are you on XP or Win 2000?
There is a decent amount more going on with VT4 than VT2 so I'm not surprised. To be honest, I think you have put a Ferrari engine in a VW chassis.
I'm no expert, but I have bought enough systems to give you an opinion on your parts.

Dell Precision 650 - Weak for basic stuff in my opinion.
Xeon 2.4Ghz CPU - If dual Xeon 2.4 you have a chance.
1Gb of Ram - Never enough
LSI Logic 1020/1030 Ultra320 SCSI RAID controller - Ultra 320 SCSI was a good choice for video in the day and is a strong point of your system.
Four 4GB Quantum Atlas 10KIII SCSI ULTRA160 RAID hard drives - SCSI was a good choice, but if you really only have 16 gigs for video space, you are nearly full before you start to edit. Video works best if less than "about" 3/4 full.
Matrox Millennium G550 video card - Don't even think about going to VT5 with this card.
Newtek Video Toaster PCI card with daughter card
SX-8 Breakout Box

perplexia
11-05-2008, 07:41 AM
thanks for the advice, Ted.

I'm running Windows XP pro.

I made a mistake on the hard drives. They're 40GB not 4GB. Windows shows my RAID drive as having 136GB total size.

I've been thinking seriously about buying some more RAM. You're right, 1Gb is not enough.

I'm 99.9% sure that the processor is a single Xeon processor. I'll have to open the case again and see if the motherboard has a second processor slot, but if not, do you think I could have a better processor istalled in the system without changing the motherboard?

I know the video card is a weak point. I'm a fan of Geforce cards myself, but that's waht came with the system and it works. Am I right in my thinking that upgrading the video card is not going to improve overall system performance very much?

ted
11-05-2008, 10:55 AM
I know people have had luck replacing "parts" to upgrade their system, but at some point, you are throwing good money down a hole. Too much old hardware gets in the way of newer faster parts.
I guess there isn't much chance of just replacing the entire system?

You might look around here to see if someone has a used VT4 sysytem that they recently replaced to move up to VT5. I know many people have.
I wish you luck.

perplexia
11-29-2008, 01:46 PM
what would be a good computer to buy for VT4? ...and what's the minnimum buss speed I should look for?

thanks for all the help

Paul Lara
12-01-2008, 10:01 AM
what would be a good computer to buy for VT4? ...and what's the minnimum buss speed I should look for?

Well, any motherboard or off-the-shelf computer you purchase now will have *at least* 800MHz front-side bus, which is what you want.

perplexia
12-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Well, any motherboard or off-the-shelf computer you purchase now will have *at least* 800MHz front-side bus, which is what you want.

...good to know. Thanks! I checked the BIOS and believe my system has a 533MHZ bus. Not good I guess.

While I was there, I also enabled hyperthreading on my CPU. That helped! So my processor was dual-core after all. Much better. Now I need to get me some more RAM...

perplexia
12-02-2008, 09:42 PM
...So my processor was dual-core after all....

er, correction, not quite dual core. I assume VT[4] supports hyperthreading.

ScorpioProd
12-03-2008, 07:32 AM
Sure, it supports hyperthreading.

edmellnik
12-17-2008, 06:21 PM
I ran a VT4.6 system on one like yours for years. Worked fine except it
does crash occasionally.
I ran it on Windows 2000.

So it died last month and I put together a dual core SuperMicro mother board and 4gb ram and nividia video card.

VT4.6 still crashes and in fact I think more than on Windows 2000.

I think Newtek never really got rid of all the bugs in 4.6.
Scared ******** about installing 5.2

Am trying to stay with 4.6.
I think The new SPeededit on vt5 is not as good as 4.6
because it is to dependent on CPU power.
I have SpeedEdit on two differnt P4 machines and its worthless.

SO the bottom line is more ram can help and a new computer can help but
may not fix all.
I have never had a Toaster system that ran and ran without crash issues...
but there are those on this forum that claim they have no problems.
??

ed