PDA

View Full Version : Export Subpatch UV's into Maya?

JGary
11-04-2008, 11:24 AM
I typically model in LW and use another app for UV creation. For my current project I went ahead and UV mapped everything in LW and upon exporting into Maya, have discovered that all subpatch objects are using linear interpolation instead of the subpatch interpolation they need to work correctly when the object geo is subpatched. Is there anyway to export from LW into Maya and keep the subpatch UV interpolation? Attached image shows my export results.

Thanks for any help!

JGary
11-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Something about typing the question made me think of a answer right after posting...under general options, set subpatch divisions to 1, then freeze the geo. This will freeze the UV's using subpatch interpolation as well.

JGary
11-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Well no, turns out that doesn't work. Freezing at level one undesirably smooths the geo even though it does not increase the poly count...thought I would be fancy and copy the frozen UV's back onto the subpatch version, but it just pastes in as a mess of scrambled UV's.

3DGFXStudios
11-04-2008, 01:14 PM
You can set that in maya. In the smoothproxy attributes I believe it was. Or you need to right click on you model and than select show all inputs (or outputs. don't remember it exactly) and play with the order.

JGary
11-04-2008, 01:49 PM
You can set that in maya. In the smoothproxy attributes I believe it was. Or you need to right click on you model and than select show all inputs (or outputs. don't remember it exactly) and play with the order.

Both good suggestions, however, it looks like if you import a object with UV's there is no input to reorder with the smoothing...at least I could not find anything. I also looked through the smooth atttributes and the only thing that looks like a possibility is "smooth UV's"...which either on or off did not fix the problem. For now, I just imported a frozen hi-rez version of the mesh into Maya.