PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of E-on's Vue 7 & Ozone 3?

virtualcomposer
11-04-2008, 09:32 AM
I was thinking that Ozone would be enough for me but was wondering if Ozone 3 is the newest or has it been there a while? Also, it looks Vue 7 just came out and what are your thoughts? Can Ozone integrate with LW seamlessly? It didn't really explain on the e-on site.

archijam
11-04-2008, 09:43 AM
You won't get many replies yet .. it started shipping today ;)

Maybe ask tomorrow?

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_7_xstream/

annoyed they have no vids of integration except max. Especially given the price!

virtualcomposer
11-04-2008, 09:58 AM
I was just wondering from reading what you guys thought. I was thinking of getting Ozone 3.0 but not sure if that has been out for a while or not. I also wonder if Ozone can be imported by LW or vise versa so clouds and fog can interact with 3D geometry.

dballesg
11-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi,

Why not give a try to the Ozone or xStream trials?

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/?page=try

The trial of xStream is xStream 6, maybe they will publish a trial or PLE of xStream 7.

David

Phil
11-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Ozone 3 is purely for the sky/atmosphere effects. I have it, and Vue 6 (not Xstream). First, the good things :

- Ozone 3 works with any Vue 6 atmosphere/cloud files, so you have portability.
- The renders look gorgeous, with minimal effort.
- It's no longer so disastrously unstable with the 3.10 update. As installed, and also for the PLE version, it's horribly unstable with crashing issues right the way through the package.

The bad things :

- Renders are very slow, particularly if your cloud layer is around or below your camera. Scenes seem to render faster if your camera is below the cloud layers.
- The atmospheric data is embedded in your scene file as hex garbage unless you save it to disk as an atmosphere file, in which case a reference to that file is used instead. The hex garbage is non-standard and can cause some render managers to throw a hissy fit.
- If a disk-based reference is in the scene file, you will need to take care that that path is accessible to all nodes on the renderfarm, otherwise you'll get every single one of them throwing up a panel requiring you to find the .atm file. On Mac, this panel does not respond very well to mouse clicks, making it frustrating.
- You need to install Ozone 3 and updates manually on every node - you cannot simply copy over the folders from one master to the rest - Ozone will not run.
- Ozone 3 requires per-node licensing because there is actually no cutdown version of Ozone 3. Each node ends up with a full Ozone 3 install/license.
- The link between the LW scene and Ozone 3 is tenuous. You don't get access to LW's envelopes, etc. for animation. The Ozone 3 scale needs to be configured because the values and units in Ozone 3 are independent of the host animation package. As such, a cloud layer at 100 m in Ozone 3 could be anywhere from 100 mm to 1 mile in altitude in the LW render.
- Ozone 3 does not integrate properly in the LW volumetric system. For example, HVs or HDinstances will not be obscured in any way by Ozone 3 - they will draw over the Ozone 3 contribution in full intensity. This is an implementation issue from e-on's side and won't be corrected until Ozone 4.
- Applying Ozone 3 to a scene will add an Ozone camera and light, ostensibly to provide the same look as the preset. This will screw your scene up because if you remove this camera and light, Ozone 3 will re-add them next time you load the scene and save them. Rendering the scene at that point will cause your scene to be rendered from the Ozone camera and with the lighting contribution from the additional light. e-on don't regard this as a bug, but a feature. So... I simply exclude the Ozone 3 light from all objects and crank the intensity to zero. I also leave the camera there, but never use it.

cresshead
11-04-2008, 11:47 AM
hope it's not too good otherwise it'll become and autodesk product by sigg 2009!

virtualcomposer
11-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Ozone 3 is purely for the sky/atmosphere effects. I have it, and Vue 6 (not Xstream). First, the good things :

- Ozone 3 works with any Vue 6 atmosphere/cloud files, so you have portability.
- The renders look gorgeous, with minimal effort.
- It's no longer so disastrously unstable with the 3.10 update. As installed, and also for the PLE version, it's horribly unstable with crashing issues right the way through the package.

The bad things :

- Renders are very slow, particularly if your cloud layer is around or below your camera. Scenes seem to render faster if your camera is below the cloud layers.
- The atmospheric data is embedded in your scene file as hex garbage unless you save it to disk as an atmosphere file, in which case a reference to that file is used instead. The hex garbage is non-standard and can cause some render managers to throw a hissy fit.
- If a disk-based reference is in the scene file, you will need to take care that that path is accessible to all nodes on the renderfarm, otherwise you'll get every single one of them throwing up a panel requiring you to find the .atm file. On Mac, this panel does not respond very well to mouse clicks, making it frustrating.
- You need to install Ozone 3 and updates manually on every node - you cannot simply copy over the folders from one master to the rest - Ozone will not run.
- Ozone 3 requires per-node licensing because there is actually no cutdown version of Ozone 3. Each node ends up with a full Ozone 3 install/license.
- The link between the LW scene and Ozone 3 is tenuous. You don't get access to LW's envelopes, etc. for animation. The Ozone 3 scale needs to be configured because the values and units in Ozone 3 are independent of the host animation package. As such, a cloud layer at 100 m in Ozone 3 could be anywhere from 100 mm to 1 mile in altitude in the LW render.
- Ozone 3 does not integrate properly in the LW volumetric system. For example, HVs or HDinstances will not be obscured in any way by Ozone 3 - they will draw over the Ozone 3 contribution in full intensity. This is an implementation issue from e-on's side and won't be corrected until Ozone 4.
- Applying Ozone 3 to a scene will add an Ozone camera and light, ostensibly to provide the same look as the preset. This will screw your scene up because if you remove this camera and light, Ozone 3 will re-add them next time you load the scene and save them. Rendering the scene at that point will cause your scene to be rendered from the Ozone camera and with the lighting contribution from the additional light. e-on don't regard this as a bug, but a feature. So... I simply exclude the Ozone 3 light from all objects and crank the intensity to zero. I also leave the camera there, but never use it.

So how long has Ozone 3 been out? Is Ozone 4 in beta now or something? It sounds like allot of issues with Ozone. I always buy software that up-hears to LW, not the other way around since LW is my central program.

Phil
11-04-2008, 02:37 PM
So how long has Ozone 3 been out? Is Ozone 4 in beta now or something? It sounds like allot of issues with Ozone. I always buy software that up-hears to LW, not the other way around since LW is my central program.

Ozone 4 is not yet in beta so far as I'm aware. It's also worth bearing some other aspects in mind :

- both Hypervoxels and Dynamite will render slowly if you shove the camera inside the volume. For cloud flythroughs that I decided couldn't be faked with stacked planes and transparency maps, I saw render times for 1280x720 resolution of several hours. If there was no intersection, the render times are much more reasonable. It's certainly faster than Taiki ever was, and to my eyes prettier and less grainy.

Aside from the volumetric stack integration, my biggest complaints would tend to be the interface (common to Ozone 3 in all host apps - it's not truly integrated in any of them so far as I can tell) and that independent scale (which has tripped me up many times because it becomes awkward to judge where your cloud layer(s) really is(are))

I've no idea why they haven't updated the PLE since the release, but it means that you'll have a difficult time making an informed decision (and the watermarking is excessive). I complained about this several times to no avail.

Bliz
11-04-2008, 03:43 PM
I got the e-on newsletter today and found this

Finally, Ozone 4.0, the atmospheric plugin for 3ds Max, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Maya and XSI is scheduled for release beginning of 2009.

virtualcomposer
11-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Awesome!?!? Not sure how to feel about that yet. From what I can tell, I don't know if Ozone 4 is going to work even if it is new.:(