PDA

View Full Version : Rim Glows

dmack
11-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Has anyone figured out how to get rim glows. Using corona or standard glow affects the whole surface, I just want a rim glow. I'm using Corona to try and get the effect as glow doesn't work properly with X-Dof (story of my life!).

Any thoughts?

clagman
11-04-2008, 12:03 PM
That sort of stuff I do in post usually. If you don't mind doing a bit of composite work you can get a really nice look working that way. My favorite thing to do is assign a extreme number to a particular attribute (like luminosity 500%) and save with alpha channels and such to bring in to your compositor as a 32 bit float. Sometimes you have to use a choker mat to keep the effects from bleeding in to the other footage but all in all much better than trying to work with corona to make glowing effects. So for you, render the object separately with the DOF effect and all other objects set to constant alpha and matte object and apply a glow in post. If you don't have a composite program I'm not sure how to obtain that look.

By the way, hows Tequilascream working for you?

dmack
11-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the tips. I have to admit to a dislike of post effects, I love setting the whole scene up, tweaking and then smacking the F9 key. I'm hoping that in the next version of LW, more extensive and flexible glows will be possible.

TS is going well for me, I can't imagine using screamernet! I've had some crashing of nodes at the end of scenes but I'm not sure whether this is a TS issue or a LW one yet. I've not tried 64bit nodes yet but I recall that Chepe said it should work fine. How do you know I use TS?!? Should I check my webcam? ;)

clagman
11-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Hah! No, I remember you from the beta boards. I've got all 64 bit nodes here working great so far.

I would love to stick to LW only if that were possible. Unfortunately it's very probable that I'll end up getting a change on something like...

"hmmm... that glow color isn't exactly right can you change it to cornflake blue"
"I'm not sure about that volumetric cloud now that I see it...can you make it more transparent and if you don't mind change the color to cornflake blue"
"Could we do something about the rim light color, I think the amber is a bit weak, do you think we could change it to....I dunno, maybe...."

and so on. So I try to composite everything that I can and use all post effects. Somtimes we don't get the time though (which has been the trend lately). Scares the crap out of me cause I know that eventually they will come back and say they want something changed and I'll have to re-render.

dmack
11-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Great to hear that 64bit nodes work well.

It's a strange mix the whole post or all in render thing. I like it when a client makes a change that I can just do that and press F9 and that I don't have to go through various processes, especially if the client comes back after several years....I guess there are advanteages adn disadvantages to both systems.....Probably more advantages to the post route I guess...

gerardstrada
11-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Has anyone figured out how to get rim glows. Using corona or standard glow affects the whole surface, I just want a rim glow. I'm using Corona to try and get the effect as glow doesn't work properly with X-Dof (story of my life!).

Any thoughts?

A post effect is usually faster/better, however X-Dof and Corona play well here. You might want to try with Phong specular shading for accentuating rim lighting effects, do use specularity threshold mask (in Corona) and work in linear light.

Gerardo

jaxtone
11-05-2008, 03:31 AM
Thanks for the tips. I have to admit to a dislike of post effects, I love setting the whole scene up, tweaking and then smacking the F9 key...

Damn... that sounds terrific! Why didnīt I think of it myself! So the tip of today is to get rid of all post FX and buy loads of F9 buttons instead!

hehehe...

dmack
11-05-2008, 06:06 AM
Okaaaaay?!?

Korvar
11-05-2008, 06:48 AM
I think it's the natural instinct of a 3D animator to want everything to happen "in camera", but fundamentally it is faster and gives you more control to render out several passes (using Render Buffer Export or whatever) and combine things in a compositor.

Edited to add: I'm actually even worse than that - I think I should be able to set my LightWave scene up exactly as it is in real life, simulate reality, and it will look brilliant. I am slowly pounding it into my head that you have to "cheat" to get the effects you want.

dmack
11-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Korvar, I know exaclt y what you mean abut cheating! I too like it to be 'real' but at the same time I like to bend the laws of physics which can just be annoying at times! :)

clagman
11-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Sometimes I get lucky and get someone who will just go with what the animatics/storyboards look like. Wouldn't it be great to have a good compositor built in. This fellow that I work with used to use EIAS (until I turned him muahahaha) and it actually had 2d tracking capabilities in it.

CC Rider
11-07-2008, 02:16 PM
No different than with real world photography.
Even if there aren't any effects in a shot there is always color correction and post processing involved. Nothing comes out of a camera ready to print these days. At least on a pro level anyway. So don't feel bad if you can't make all the magic happen in one render.
"Fix it in post" has been a saying for all these years for good reason.

:D

clagman
11-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Especially once you start working in linear floating point workflow. Took me a while to get our group set with something basic (but solid) and now even more tweaking is possible. The only thing that really bothers me is AE having sooooo many 8/16 bpc effects. I don't care for using the compander but oh well, maybe CS5?