PDA

View Full Version : 64 bit license key?

Surrealist.
11-04-2008, 07:45 AM
How do you get the 64 bit license key they say is required for the 64 bit version of Lightwave? And is the license key for the 9.5 beta version good for the 64 bit beta version too?

Thanks

biliousfrog
11-04-2008, 08:02 AM
there's different license's for the 32, 64 and UB versions...you need to register each that you want to use. I discovered that when I needed to install the 32bit version.

BeeVee
11-04-2008, 09:02 AM
LightWiki has the answer, in multiple languages too (http://www.lightwiki.com/Registering_another_platform_on_the_same_LightWave _v9_licence)

For the beta you follow exactly the same steps except you copy your beta serial number.

B

Surrealist.
11-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks. As a wild guess I decided to email tech support and they sent me a license key.

But I forgot to ask if that would work on the open beta version in my download section.

Surrealist.
11-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks Ben,

And..... it looks as if the nice man registered it for me. :)

Chrusion
03-23-2009, 04:02 PM
OK... weirdness going on here. I've read the wiki and the need to disable User Access Control (UAC) prior to installing LW, but I have a student that installed 9.6 on his 32-bit Vista desktop WITH UAC on and LW works just fine even though there is NO license.key file in the c:/program files/newtek/lightwave 9.6/programs folder! We cannot find it anywhere on his system!

He also installed 9.6 on his beefy 64-bit Vista desktop (after getting a second key number for that platform) and again, it runs just fine (again NOT in discovery mode) without any license.key file in the default location.

So, what the heck is going on? Where is Vista redirecting this file since its obvious that UAC is preventing it being written to the default LW install folder? And does that mean, then, that Vista is doing a virtual file serve to LW, fooling LW into thinking the key file is in it's program folder?

BeeVee
03-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Normally they get shifted to the VirtualStore, but last I checked LightWave didn't pay attention to it. Your virtualstore is here:

c:\users\<username>\AppData\VirtualStore\Program Files\MyApp\UserData

B

Amurrell
03-31-2009, 07:10 AM
It might be there, but I had to manually put in the license.key file on my Vista system since the registration utility didn't work like the kind gentleman said it would now. I also put it in the programs directory like it always has been in the past since LightWave couldn't find the file. For all I know I put the key on my system several times, but I don't know where the number went and neither did LW. Did a search for the file and never found it, so I made it myself.