PDA

View Full Version : GnomonOnline vs Animation Mentor

akademus
11-04-2008, 03:34 AM
Hey everyone.

I'm in a sort of dilemma these days. After I graduated in Multimedia Design I felt kinda a bored without academic challenges. Instead of pursuing Masters I'm thinking about affiliating with some online education in 3D.

After looking at some online schools for 3D my choice got down to Gnomononline and AnimationMentor. On one side Gnomon gives more all round education while AM is strictly character animation. Money is not a big issue here so I'm not taking that into account.

I would greatly appreciate any opinions on this case and if someone could share their experiences with these (or some other) 3d Schools.

P.S. I'd love to go to Dave, but I simply can't hit US now.

Cheers

cresshead
11-04-2008, 10:16 AM
i know that A.M is pretty hard work so you'll really need to be extreemly dedicated and have enogh freetime to create the assignments on time...there's not many options to catchup if you start to fall behind..so be warned...i have a student do this in 2006 and she managed to pass but hasn't gone on to do any 3d much of late it sorta burned her out for the moment.

Dexter2999
11-04-2008, 10:42 AM
http://theanimatorssurvivalkit.com/index.html

It is worth looking into.

Stooch
11-04-2008, 12:42 PM
all of the badass animators i worked with got or are getting their chops at AM.

I am against college education for 3D art, but i would shell out for AM if i had the time.

akademus
11-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Guys, thanks a lot for replies.

cresshead: Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm in contact with a fellow of mine who enrolled this autumn. He also says it is consuming a lot of time from him and that he is facing quite a challenge.

Dexter2999: That is an awesome collection. I have his book, but I haven't heard of these disc set. If they are as good as the book is I'll seriously consider buying this. Thanks for the head up.

Stooch: One of the reasons I'm attracted more to AM. On the other hand, I dislike student movies all being look a like. I cant say that two different people did two different shots. But they are still good, none the less.

I'll be banging my head against the wall for a while over this :D

Stooch
11-05-2008, 01:53 AM
dont. the AM program is very tough and requires alot of work. dont fret over the reel, its not about being "unique" its about being a good animator. once you get good, you can be as unique as you want.

Stooch
11-05-2008, 02:03 AM
p.s. one of the animation mentors name is kevin koch, i worked with him and highly recommend. he is a good animator, a good story teller, a very smart guy with a PHD and has alot of insight in not just animation but story telling in general. if you can choose your mentors, give him a consideration :)

akademus
11-05-2008, 05:05 AM
Thanks Stooch. I appreciate your input. I don't think you can choose the mentor, but I'm sure they handpicked just awesome people.

Cheers!