PDA

View Full Version : Does Lightwave have proxy objects

gumbytrain
11-03-2008, 06:59 PM
I'm looking for a way to automatically replace objects at render time with higher res objects.

I have a very high poly object and I made a low poly object to use as a stand in.

So far the only way I can see to swap the object is to manually use "replace object" under the item tab in layout. Problem is I will LOTS of objects I will need to do that to at render time.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Dexter2999
11-03-2008, 08:57 PM
There is a plug in out there that will list multiple objects and let you choose to replace them.
http://www.tmproductions.com/FrameSets/FS-Products.html

Or I would think you could create your scene using low poly models with the same name as your final objects...but have them in a folder named "low poly Objects." Plot out your scene. When it is done, move or rename the "low poly Objects" folder, Layout will prompt you to point it to the right location when it can't find the folder. You in turn would point it to the "high poly Objects" folder and Layout would do the rest. Of course you could call the folders whatever you want "stand ins" and "objects"...whatever.

If you had lower poly models with sub-d's you could just lower the division level in the options panel for plotting your work, then raise the level of subdivision for rendering.

Also if you have LOTS of objects, will the camera see all that detail? Could you get away with a lower poly model with a highres bitmap of the high poly version wrapped on it?

Anyway, some things to think about I hope.

Hope this helps.

SplineGod
11-04-2008, 12:36 AM
You can also name your objects so that the proxies have a lr_ in front for low rez. LW scene files are editable text files. You can easily search/replace the scene file, swapping the lr for an hr. Save this as a new scene. When you load the scene the high rez objects will be loaded.

BloodQuest
11-04-2008, 12:55 AM
I have a Pattern-Replace tool that I'm planning to release shortly.

Drop me an email (see profile) and I'll send you the current version...

Simon

BloodQuest
11-04-2008, 03:03 AM
I really should have gone to bed, but...

http://www.simon-coombs.com/utils/pattern_replace/PR1.png

I didn't have time to update the main page, but you'll find it on the Utilities tab on my site - http://www.simon-coombs.com/

Hopefully you'll find it does the trick.

Simon

SplineGod
11-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Cool! Thanks Simon :)

gumbytrain
11-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Thank you to everyone who responded and thank you very much Simon for sharing the plugin. I haven't tried it yet, but that sounds like the best way for me.

Since I do ALOT of test renders it seems that the other ideas would take alot of work.

If I understand correctly, wouldn't I need to modify the files EACH and EVERY time I rendered?

Netvudu
11-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Currently the best way I think is to follow Larry´s hint and use a notepad to change the name on the scene file and save that with a new name.
After that, if you can render from a net solution, using Screamernet, maybe you won´t even have to open LW at all. If I understand correctly the issue you really have isn´t just the fact that you don´t want to manually change one object for the other, but also the fact that the scene would kill your machine with so many polys.

The hi-profile way to do this is using something called "archiving", sometimes also called "Delayed load", which is nothing but the technical way to say you are telling the render engine to load up geometry at render time but not before.

This is dependant on the render engine, and currently there is no way to do this with Lightwave´s native render engine, (nor with Fprime) AFAIK.
I know most Renderman-complaint engines do this, as well as Mantra. Possible others as well.

It is very useful. I would like to have this feature in LW. It would make possible among other things not having to use HD Instance every time we want to work with a mammoth scene, with all the possibilities that NOT using a plugin permit as well (in the way of putting other tools into the mix).

daforum
11-04-2008, 08:07 PM
I really should have gone to bed, but...

http://www.simon-coombs.com/utils/pattern_replace/PR1.png

I didn't have time to update the main page, but you'll find it on the Utilities tab on my site - http://www.simon-coombs.com/

Hopefully you'll find it does the trick.

Simon

That looks like a very useful plugin. Is it Windows only?

BloodQuest
11-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Just to clarify - you'd make up the scene, use pattern replace, then save that scene as a new version, for example:

You're doing a scene and find that LW is too slow with the full-res objects.

You use Pattern Replace to swap in proxies, finish animation and save the scene as My_Scene_PROXIES.lws.

Now use Pattern Replace to swap back the "Beauty" (or original) objects, save that as My_Scene_BEAUTY.lws and send it to the render farm.

It's Windows only right now, but we do have some Macs at work now, so I'll see about compiling for that.

Cheers,

Simon

BloodQuest
11-04-2008, 10:02 PM
It's just sunk in what Larry and Netvudu are saying -- of course the limitation of using my plugin is that you could be sitting there for quite a while waiting for LW to load the hi-res versions.

I'll take a look at doing a Pattern Replace In Scene that would re-write a new scene file without actually having to load it all into layout -- give me a couple of days to sort that out!

Would make sense, though.

Simon

danielkaiser
11-04-2008, 10:17 PM
That looks like a very useful plugin. Is it Windows only?

It's an Lscript, it should be cross platform?

gumbytrain
11-05-2008, 06:43 PM
That would be GREAT!!!!!!

Dexter2999
11-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Aw guys...was my idea that bad? I thought it would be crazy fast.

I mean all you have to do is rename the object folder and point to the new object folder when you want to change all the objects if you are flipping back and forth. How hard is it to click and rename "proxys" to "_proxys"? Then when LW can't find the folder you just click over to "objects". Going back to proxy objects just restore folder name "proxys" and rename "objects" to "_objects".

All the object names would be identical. But I suppose some people might get confused with that.

Still would be fast.

Netvudu
11-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Your idea would work but it´s dangerous,specially in a production environment. Besides, it doesn´t solve the fact of the machine being hogged by loading a whole lot of polys at render time.
Finally, changing the object names in the scene file through a text editor is even faster than your idea and does not lead to dangerous confusions.

daforum
11-06-2008, 05:53 PM
It's Windows only right now, but we do have some Macs at work now, so I'll see about compiling for that.

Cheers,

Simon

Thanks for taking the time to do that. :thumbsup:

BloodQuest
11-07-2008, 01:36 AM
As requested, here's a version that optionally replaces objects in situ, writes a new scene file, or both.

http://www.simon-coombs.com/utils/pattern_replace/PR1N.png

Will try to do a Mac compile in the morning...

Simon