PDA

View Full Version : How to make a Ghost??

virtualcomposer
11-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Just wondering the best way to approach in making a "real" looking ghost. As most of us know, most ghost that people claim to see tend to look flowing, almost like they are underwater or inbetween underwater and in the air. Also, they aren't exactly see through. In pictures that look authentic, they always seem to have substance but it's subtle. I don't know. It's a tough one but I think it would be cool to make a convincing one. Would something like this need bones or nodes or a combo? What is your experience or suggestions?

Surrealist.
11-03-2008, 03:11 PM
I would make the character as real as possible and then apply effects to that with image filters or in post.

daforum
11-03-2008, 05:49 PM
I would use ClothFX and also have a wind emitter blowing the ghosts cloth.
It will add to the floating effect a ghost has.

Hopper
11-03-2008, 06:00 PM
There's a nice ghost tutorial using ClothFX. I'll see if I can dig it up. The last time I used it was when I had my old machine, so when I hit "Calculate", it took 5 minutes per frame, so there went that idea. I guess it's time to revisit it since I wouldn't have that problem anymore.

I'll get back to you on this one.

Hopper
11-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Here it is: I no longer had the files, but I found the original thread on SpinQuad.

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?p=96843#post96843

prometheus
11-03-2008, 07:00 PM
or check greg sullivans site directly

http://www.artofsullivan.com/

virtualcomposer
11-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Hey thanks for the help guys! After my other render is finished, I'm going to start playing with ideas to see what looks good and I'll compare it footage that looks convincing. I'll post it here to to get everyone's opinion and recommendations.

virtualcomposer
11-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Have any of you guys ever tried to make a ghost in 3D? If so, I'd be interested to see it. An animation would be cool to if you have one.

shrox
11-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Have someone die in an overly tramatic way at a point where the connecting vortex to the sprirt world is strongest?