PDA

View Full Version : Fprime animation - how?

sean hargreaves
11-03-2008, 10:27 AM
How do I animate using Fprime? Using the LW native renderer I can choose a Quicktime file to save to, but Fprime does'nt have this choice. 8~

akademus
11-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Fprime has Fprime Render button (you might need to add it to the interface). There you can choose output format and frame range. Also you can choose whether to endlessly refine frames or to stop at certain level. Due to its nature it can't render to a movie file, instead you have to render out the sequence and than put it together into a movie using some 3d party software (or layout).

sean hargreaves
11-03-2008, 10:36 AM
The single frames are saving to my desktop. I have a 2 second animation test I'm doing. How do I get the frames into Quicktime?

CAClark
11-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Render out the frames and then open them with quicktime pro and save them as a quicktime (I don't think you can do that without buy QT Pro, but it's cheap and well worth it).

Cheers!

sean hargreaves
11-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Akademus, I have Final Cut, does that mean I have to render out 60 frames (for 2 seconds of animation) and put each frame into Final cut?

BlueApple
11-03-2008, 10:40 AM
You can also load the image sequence created with FPrime back into LightWave, and from Lightwave you can render your desired movie format (.mov, .avi, etc.).

I believe Fprime will only render image sequences, not any type of movie file.

BlueApple
11-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Final Cut should allow you to import your image sequence and the you can render your movie as a .mov. You will need the 60 frames if you are looking to get 2 seconds of footage played at a rate of 30 fps.

akademus
11-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Render out the frames and then open them with quicktime pro and save them as a quicktime (I don't think you can do that without buy QT Pro, but it's cheap and well worth it).

Cheers!

I second that. Definitely worth of buying!

hunter
11-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Final Cut should allow you to import your image sequence and the you can render your movie as a .mov. You will need the 60 frames if you are looking to get 2 seconds of footage played at a rate of 30 fps.

I tried final cut pro not long ago and it did not support image sequences. I had to use quicktime pro to convert them to a mov file and only then would final cut open it. maybe I was missing something but I searched and that seemed to be the work around.

But I agree with the others here, image sequence is always the way to go when rendering.

CAClark
11-03-2008, 11:04 AM
I do believe FinalCut doesn't work with image sequences this man^^^^ says, or that seemed the case here at work.

Cheers!

JeffrySG
11-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I love QTPro as well. But you can do it in LW too. Matt did a video tutorial on it if you wanted to learn how...

http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56301

BlueApple
11-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Apologies if I mispoke regarding Final Cut. I don't use FinalCut and am amazed that it doesn't support image sequences. Do other editing packages have this same limitation? I really only use After Effects, which is a compositor not an editor. Does Premiere support image sequences?

sean hargreaves
11-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Jeffrey sg, Matts link doesnt open, and you cant send a private message to him to ask him to re-link it.

sean hargreaves
11-03-2008, 03:17 PM
I've used QTPro and it works, thanks guys. Also, what file shall I save the frames as, JPEG, PSD, TIF, etc?

akademus
11-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Targa or png files tend to be standard formats for video sequences. I use png because they are smaller, but targas don't have compression.

sean hargreaves
11-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Akademus, whats the diff. between targa and psd?

akademus
11-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Only difference would be that PSDs can be layered, e.g. you can export multiple passes using PSD exporter. For flat 24 (and 32bit) images maybe its better to use tga (smaller size) as the both carry RGB+alpha information.

Cheers

sean hargreaves
11-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Well, I dont want compression, also my frames are 2000 x 1000. But each psd frame is a large file. Maybe Targa is the way to go, what do you think?

akademus
11-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Well, I dont want compression, also my frames are 2000 x 1000. But each psd frame is a large file. Maybe Targa is the way to go, what do you think?

See if the TGA size is acceptable for you. If not, feel free to go for PNG 24 bit if you don't have alpha, or 32 if you do. PNG is technically compressed, but I never ever saw artifacts from that.

Hope this helps mate!

sean hargreaves
11-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks Akademus for your help.

Also, whos your avatar? Thats not you is it?

archijam
11-03-2008, 04:26 PM
PNG is compressed, but 'non lossy'. Similarly, a tiff can have ZIP compression, which is, as it sounds, small, compressed, but no lost data.

A word of 'warning' - careful with the bits. As a rule of thumb, the higher bit setting (32 instead of 24) means the alpha is included in the file, which could be what you want, but you can also choose to save the alphas as a separate name, for use in after efects etc etc.

If you open a 32bit TGA in photoshop the background disappears .. that is, the alpha is 'applied', which is annoying, since the data is still there. a PNG 'deletes' the alpha area, at least in the way LW saves it.

I use 24bit PNG's for most things, except HDR (EXR) image work.

flakester
11-03-2008, 04:30 PM

As I know it, PNG does compress - it's lossless compression as standard.

TGA format can also be losslessly compressed, but there is no way from within LW (or fprime) to invoke that compression as far as I know.

For file size sake, I would go with PNG format for image files of those dimensions.

flakester.

edit:: well timed Archijam!

akademus
11-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks Akademus for your help.

Also, whos your avatar? Thats not you is it?

No problems buddy.

No it's not me :) That is Friedensreich Hundertwasser (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedensreich_Hundertwasser) (Stovoda)

great painter who inspired people to make some great buildings!

sean hargreaves
11-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm doing some tests right now: PSD VS. TARGA VS. PNG.

I'll tell you what I think. Also, thats interesting about the 32 vs. 24 bit in regards to the Alpha layer, I did'nt know that. :thumbsup:

I'll tell you one thing, my frames, at 2000 x 1000, 60 of them, Fpriming to level 12, will take about 40 hours. Craaaaap!

hunter
11-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Apologies if I mispoke regarding Final Cut. I don't use FinalCut and am amazed that it doesn't support image sequences. Do other editing packages have this same limitation? I really only use After Effects, which is a compositor not an editor. Does Premiere support image sequences?

No problem. It should work with them and I was as amazed as you that it didn't! And I certainly haven't touched it since. Premiere supports it which is what I mainly use. Heck even the $70 Sony Vegas can import sequences.

Oh and I use PSD most of the time but PNG and TGA are very good as well.

sean hargreaves
11-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Ok, I'm going with .png

But, I've hit a snag. Why is my Fprime rendering to quality 0.500 and then going to the next frame, even though I have STOP AT LEVEL 12 checked?

I have Frame Range 1 - 60 chosen.

sean hargreaves
11-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Incredible!!!

So, instead of rendering frame 1 to level 12, it goes frame 1 to frame 60 at 0.500, then comes back and does frame 1 to 60 at 1.0, and so on?
:confused:

nlightuk
11-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Incredible!!!

So, instead of rendering frame 1 to level 12, it goes frame 1 to frame 60 at 0.500, then comes back and does frame 1 to 60 at 1.0, and so on?
:confused:

It's actually quite useful.

You get a rough preview of your entire animation, very fast, and can use that to gauge whether or not everything looks right.

If it is, you have not wasted time on rendering the sequence out at reduced res - you can simply let the sequence refine.

sean hargreaves
11-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Right, good point! :thumbsup: