PDA

View Full Version : Show us your rigs...

akademus
11-03-2008, 09:34 AM
I finally got my new rig up and going. Everything runs smoothly and the new work horsy from HP is chewing every thing I throw at it. It's bloody awesome, I went 64-bit and Fprime is running like hell! All that's left is to populate it with toys and off we go!

I'd welcome everyone here to drop by an share an image of it's work or home rig.

Cheers!!!

biliousfrog
11-03-2008, 09:55 AM
This is from earlier in the year, taken for the CGTalk thread on the same subject.

Things have changed a bit since then, mostly tidier, more books, more desk space, less floor space (there's now two dogs constantly in the way) and I've got some render nodes racked up in the garage where they can make as much noise as they like...I installed cat6 from the upstairs office through the roof, through the walls and into the garage...I've also got some anatomy posters on the wall for my current project.

I'll try to get some newer pics when I get a chance

virtualcomposer
11-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Here's my setup. It's an animation studio/music studio.

virtualcomposer
11-03-2008, 12:35 PM
virtualcomposer, sorry, you forgot to point out things... how should we know where your smelly sneakers are? And remember the time when ... don'tknowwho came bursting into the forum shouting "My keys! Anybody know where they are?" If you post images like that we can hardly suggest 'look on your GFs pile of crap' and so on. Please update the images. :)
Also it's much too clean, I don't buy it. No photoshop work allowed (except text)... :D

LOL! This is actually the way I work. I can't work in a messy environment. My wife on the other hand, is the exact opposite. I can't even find her desk. I'll update the pictures.

Matt
11-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Here's my rig (the Dell 24WFP monitor went back ages ago though, hated it)

Also sporting my Laser Pod lights to give it some mood!

virtualcomposer
11-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Ok, here's the captions. :D I also have 3 different harddrives at 500GB a piece. Mostly for HD work but never run out of room for LW!

ben martin
11-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Ok, here it is my main space... the renderfarm is in the next room and I have an audio studio in the basement... but this is only about LW rigs, right?

Anyway, all these spaces seems too much "dejavu". All different, all the same. :compbeati
Sorry about the pics quality... mobile phone. :D

virtualcomposer
11-03-2008, 01:12 PM
picture quality?

ben martin
11-03-2008, 01:13 PM
picture quality?

refresh... :D

Oopppss... missing specifications:
Main space: Intel core 2 Duo E6400 / XFX 7600GT, HD 500Gb+500Gb, 4Gb RAM
RenderFarm: Server: AMD300+ / 2Gb RAM (4 Nodes AMD 3000+ 1GbRam)

virtualcomposer
11-03-2008, 01:18 PM
refresh... :D

Nice setup. Cool to see music stuff in there to. I see you use the backlight technique to. :thumbsup:

ben martin
11-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Nice setup. Cool to see music stuff in there to. I see you use the backlight technique to. :thumbsup:

Yup, beside 3D, I do a lot of stuff.
I write orchestral electronic music to movies, actually I'm writing to a friend director's movie.
I produce VFX and SFX with a small local team.
Beside all this I run my own audio studio were I record a lot of stuff and people. :)

Errata:
RenderFarm: Server: AMD300+.... (should read AMD3000+).
I hate this forum 5 min editing time rule thing. :mad:

akademus
11-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Heey, this is getting some response :thumbsup: Cool to see where other people work (and/or live).

I hate lighting in this room, neat idea about placing light source behind screens. I'll have to go to light shop to seek for some cool lamp.

Cheers

virtualcomposer
11-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Heey, this is getting some response :thumbsup: Cool to see where other people work (and/or live).

I hate lighting in this room, neat idea about placing light source behind screens. I'll have to go to light shop to seek for some cool lamp.

Cheers

Yeah, it really helps to have a back light behind the screen. It keeps the intensity of the screen from hurting the eyes.

Skinner3D
11-03-2008, 03:08 PM
:D My rig is shown deep in the depths of a previous thread like this.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60162&highlight=show+desk

:D

(page 11ish I think, no little captions though) :)

virtualcomposer
11-03-2008, 11:00 PM
It's really cool to see other people's rigs. If anything, it shows we all, no matter what our differences are, have something in common...we have a room our wives can't touch and we love having cool gear!

akademus
11-04-2008, 12:09 AM
It's really cool to see other people's rigs. If anything, it shows we all, no matter what our differences are, have something in common...we have a room our wives can't touch and we love having cool gear!

A warm place to hide under excuse we have work to do... just brilliant! :D:D:D

biliousfrog
11-04-2008, 03:30 AM

Speak for yourself, my wife (girlfriend) is the reason for all the clutter! It takes her 5 minutes to fill her desk with paperwork and highlighter pens and then migrates to mine! I'd love to have my own office so that I can spread out a bit more.

virtualcomposer
11-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Speak for yourself, my wife (girlfriend) is the reason for all the clutter! It takes her 5 minutes to fill her desk with paperwork and highlighter pens and then migrates to mine! I'd love to have my own office so that I can spread out a bit more.

Just tell her to get out of YOUR room and find some place else to put her trash. That'll go real well. LOL

benhaines
11-04-2008, 10:59 AM
God Matt you are such a geek! The cars round Vauxhall don't have THAT much neon!

Sadly my rig is a simple MacBook Pro and my desk the nearest Starbucks... but I do have the lovely 17" version running at 1920x1280.

Hopper
11-04-2008, 11:05 AM
God Matt you are such a geek! The cars round Vauxhall don't have THAT much neon!
Sometime you can't help it. I gutted all the "bling" I could out of my case and components when I got them, but some of them are inaccessible., so it still looks like a rice-boy disco. I tried to find a solid door for the case, but they're all glass these days so you can strap your geek on and impress your friends.

I might just make a cutout to cover it soon... It drives me crazy at night.

virtualcomposer
11-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I prefer the simple look so that all my attention is on my monitor screen. Let's see your setup Hopper. Make sure you do the funny labels to. The other thread that has to do with setups was so big, it's hard to find things now.

digitalrelm
11-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Here's some photo's of my desk and surrounding area.

http://public.me.com/dannygill/Desk.jpg (My Desk)

http://public.me.com/dannygill/Desk_area.jpg (Surrounding Area)

Hopper
11-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Yeah, I prefer the simple look so that all my attention is on my monitor screen. Let's see your setup Hopper. Make sure you do the funny labels to. The other thread that has to do with setups was so big, it's hard to find things now.
It's too bad I don't have the 30" anymore (had to give it back dangit). I could have done a few cool night shots with all the bling. Now I'm back to my crappy pair of 19's.

digitalrelm
11-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Sorry about that, I think I messed up the links. You will have to copy them then paste them in to the URL box.

digitalrelm
11-05-2008, 09:50 AM
There we go got the attachments right. :D

virtualcomposer
11-05-2008, 09:56 AM
There we go got the attachments right. :D

I see you got the dog near by and the Iphone 3G. A little bit of heaven I'd say. :D

akademus
11-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Dog and Iphone... two of the mans best friends! :D

digitalrelm: nice plasma, I have a similar, I'll send some pics later on. Did you put that scanner under the table intentionally? :)

digitalrelm
11-05-2008, 12:24 PM
I just keep the scanner there, it has this little foot stand so you can store it on it's side. Also the two cases on the desk are Evil Genius a very funny game where you take over the world and the other is 3D Buzz's C++ programming and OpenGL In-Depth.

The dog also lays under the desk a lot too.