PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible with nodes?

lillmagnus
11-03-2008, 06:50 AM
I'm just starting to learn a bit about the nodes and I want to make a displacement like this picture, but so that the displacement follow the motion of the object.

Like Lazy Points but with a displacement texture and a weightmap.
Is this possible with nodes?

http://www.bortbyting.com/sidor/temp/displa.jpg

Mrjack
11-03-2008, 07:07 AM
Wich pic?
:)

lillmagnus
11-03-2008, 07:42 AM
The black, white and red one under my post...

lillmagnus
11-03-2008, 07:52 AM
http://www.bortbyting.com/sidor/temp/displa.jpg

serge
11-05-2008, 06:46 AM
Almost anything is possible with nodes! :) But could you be a little more specific? You want to move an object around, leaving some sort of displacement tail behind? And the displacement needs to react to the motion of the object, like the faster it moves, the longer the displacement tail? And what kind of motion exactly?

lillmagnus
11-06-2008, 10:53 AM
I want to make an airplane that flies (and rolls) towards the camera and the back of the wings should leave the displacement tail. Preferably it should get longer if the plane moves faster.

BeeVee
11-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Perhaps you should take a look at photoreal motion blur as well? You can up the percentage to increase the length of the trails (but don't forget to up the luminosity of your object as well since it will get dimmer the more attenuated it is).

B

serge
11-06-2008, 05:02 PM
I want to make an airplane that flies (and rolls) towards the camera and the back of the wings should leave the displacement tail. Preferably it should get longer if the plane moves faster.
Okay. Here's something I quickly put together.

The level of displacement is based on the distance between the box and a null (which follows the box). The null has "Follower" (motion plugin) applied, with a time delay. So, the faster the box moves, the more the null will be delayed, and the higher the displacement level will be. The displacement level is controlled by a gradient with the distance of the two objects as input parameter.

I've attached the scenefiles. Scrub through the timeline to see the effect.

lillmagnus
11-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks a lot! It really seems anything is possible with nodes.

GregMalick
11-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Aloha Serge,

Why the Multiply/Max/Multiply at the very end of the node.
Why did you do that?

serge
11-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Aloha Serge,

Why the Multiply/Max/Multiply at the very end of the node.
Why did you do that?
Aloha to you Greg,

The "Multiply(3)" node is to increase the length of the displacement. White = 1 meter, so I multiplied that by 3 to get a maximum of 3 meters.

That goes into the Z (Make Vector node) for the direction. The box is modeled in the +Z direction because of the "Align to path" motion. The weightmap is at the back of the object. So the displacement direction has to be -Z, which I did by multiplying the X/Y/Z vector values by -1 (the last "Multiply" node).