PDA

View Full Version : bone dynamics in lw8

cresshead
08-06-2003, 03:20 AM
hi
am i correct here that newtek have [in fact their coders..bless 'em!] invented a new thing with bone dynamics?

i don't see anything like that with 3dsmax6..though the ragdoll dynamics may be something similar..there's no details as usual on the discreet site.

does maya, xsi or cinema have this?????

seems to be a fantastic thing anyways which not that many people are shouting about...so erm..i will!

LOOOKS COOOOL THANKS NEWTEK!!!!

looking forward to using lw8

steve g

Karmacop
08-06-2003, 05:25 AM
Lightwave's Dynamic bones are essentially what everyone calls 'ragdoll physics' (marketing term, I'm sure ..). I have no idea if you can turn the dynamics on and off frame by frame in either lightwave or anything elses engines. I'm unsure about havoc being able to connect dynamic bones to non dynamic bones or if the whole strycture has to be dynamic. I don't think you can apply object collisions in lightwave where as you can in havok.

... I may have havoc confused with one of the other dynamics engines though :confused:

Dodgy
08-06-2003, 06:47 AM
The videos showed them colliding objects with the skeletons, so it should be fully intergrated. I would guess you can lock down parts too like you can with the ik, it all seems fairly well thought out.

Mike Pauza
08-06-2003, 10:13 AM
Dynamic bones is a great idea. Setup is fast, and simulation is practically instantaneous. The results are not "as detailed" as what you can achieve with MD proper, but it's a fantastic technology for rigged characters.

-Mike Pauza

CB_3D
08-06-2003, 10:46 AM
I assume that the dynamics have a quality setting of some kind that can be boosted up.

BTW, can Radiosity caches be saved out now?

policarpo
08-06-2003, 10:50 AM
as far as i gather, individual bones can be set to possess different levels of "springiness". So you could make half a charcater totally rigid, while the other half is the "ragdoll" effect. and i think that this can be done on a frame by frame basis...but i might be wrong about the frame by frame thingy.:)

Cman
08-06-2003, 11:02 AM
so this could be used to generate natural stunt doubles...
is there limits so joints don't prematurely break?

Mike Pauza
08-06-2003, 11:23 AM
If dynamic bones have angular spring settings (and they really should), ragdoll effects with joint limits will be easy. Angular springs are useful for tons of other stuff as well.

-Mike Pauza