PDA

View Full Version : Mesh tears up

jaimevillafane
11-02-2008, 08:37 PM
I hope some one can help. I am new to this. I made a plane with 9 polygon faces, i turned on sub d using catmull clarke. then i selected a polygon and pulled it out. This seems to break up the mesh.why is that happening? it does not happen when you use regular subpatch mode.

PixelDust
11-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Did you add any edge weights to the mesh, and did you make any changes to the mesh afterward (like adding points, etc.)?

The usual reason for this is because of the weight maps. You generally have to wait until after you finish modeling to do any edge weights. It's a known issue with LW and Catmull-Clark sub-ds (and I hope it gets fixed!)

To fix it, I think you have to go to the Map tab and clear the weight map by pressing the "Clear Map" button with your edge weight map selected down at the bottom right corner.

If that isn't what caused it, then I don't know why it happened. Hope you get it figured out!

TripD
11-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Try merging points before hitting the tab key :)

j0SH
11-02-2008, 09:01 PM
try welding the points in place if merging doesnt work

weld can be found in the details tab under points

Surrealist.
11-03-2008, 12:34 AM
I am pretty sure it is just a display issue with CC's I forget why it happens, I'll have to remember at some point. But the solution is to set the CC level higher (0 for options panel) and then set it back to 2 or 3.

unwelded points and edge wiehgts (after you mirror) will also look similar so if those don't fix it try the display issue.

jaimevillafane
11-03-2008, 07:01 AM
I never made a weight map for it,I still did clear the weigh map just in case but it still looked the same. I tried to merge points but the points were all single points.The only thing i did not do was to freeze it to see if it was a display error. I will try that next. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
And, thanks guys for the response.:angel:

Sensei
11-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Weight map called "Edge Weight" is made automatically by tools to adjust edge sharpness (Inc Sharpness, Dec Sharpness, Set Sharpness and mine Adjust Sharpness that you can download from my website for free). You have to pick up weight map in right bottom pop-up on right side of "W" button before using Clear Map, or Delete Vertex Map. If you don't see weight map with name "Edge Weight", it might be other problem, and in that case just attach your object, and people will look at it and investigate problem..