PDA

View Full Version : 2 point polys to tubes?

Revanto
11-02-2008, 06:23 PM
I always though it would be neat to have some way of turning 2 point chains into 4 or more sided tubes. I know that you can get a curv and do a rail extrude but I think that converting 2 point polys to tubes (capped ends or uncapped) would be a cool thing to have. It would be slightly similar to using Zspheres in Zbrush but withoutbeing able to have a connected mesh at certain junctures.

Anyone know how to do this? It would make for an awesome tutorial.

Cheers,
Revanto

SplineGod
11-02-2008, 06:51 PM
You can do this.
In layout turn on render edges. Make the edge thickness a negative value. Make sure youre using the perspective camera. The 2 point polys will render as tubes. You can also surface them etc. This is also makes it easier to animate hoses etc with clothfx without having to use metalink.

Hopper
11-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Check out William Vaughan's videos in the General Techniques, Tips and Tricks section. There is a tutorial on what Larry is talking about. William goes over it in excellent detail.

Dodgy
11-02-2008, 10:08 PM
If you want a dynamically changing mesh, you should look for HairBlade a japanese plugin. It'll take any profile, and you can extrude it along any curves, and it'll stay dynamic, so you can move the points of the curve and the extruded mesh will adapt.

Revanto
11-03-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm trying Hairblade but it seems more complex than I need.

If there was a way of just 'inflating' two point polys, things would be simpler.

Rev.

Riff_Masteroff
11-03-2008, 08:58 PM
The pipe tool in LWCAD3.0 does just that and with super duper control over your mesh.

Riff

thekho
11-03-2008, 09:15 PM
You might could find plugins is a called Tube Point- http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/tube/ also u can find lots of free excellent plugins from Pictrix!!

Revanto
11-04-2008, 03:53 AM
You might could find plugins is a called Tube Point- http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/tube/ also u can find lots of free excellent plugins from Pictrix!!

Yes! Tube Point Chain works best for my needs.

I can now rough out simple meshes quickly. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind using Zbrushe's Zspheres but it seems more satisfying creating something like this in LW.

Thanls, Thekho.

And thanks to everyone else who contributed.

Cheers,
Revanto :p

starbase1
11-04-2008, 05:18 AM
Also worth hunting down TRUSS2, which runs tubes along the edges of polygons. (With optional joints).

It can be a little wobbly, but it's a useful tool.

Nick

JeffrySG
11-04-2008, 09:20 AM

Yes, I've used this before to create towers made of tubes... pretty cool.

monovich
11-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Yes, I've used this before to create towers made of tubes... pretty cool.

The entire set/architecture of the American Idol open was done with this plugin. worked great. (not the current open, the previous one)