PDA

View Full Version : Ford Fiesta (old model new renders)

cholo
08-06-2003, 12:46 AM
A model I did a while ago. I decided to brush the dust off and bring new life to an old model :) I'll do something in HD later on to try out the new windows media encoder ;)

cholo
08-06-2003, 07:59 PM
Another perspective for the HD test sequence :) Wish I had a render farm, heh!

hrgiger
08-06-2003, 09:31 PM
Looks good Cholo.

My only question is, how do you do the effects on the tailights and headlights? Is it a bump map?

cholo
08-06-2003, 09:51 PM
Headlights and Taillights are modeled. In the case of the Taillights it's made up of several layers, just like real ones are. The bottom layer is a mirror surface, after that a red filter, another bump mapped refraction layer facing inwards equivalent to the crumpled layer in real life, and a smooth outer layer to complete the construction. Works out really nice, even in full shots. I'll post the HD clips as soon as they finish rendering.

Riza
08-07-2003, 07:49 AM
very nice and clean render cholo!
good work! :)

cholo
08-07-2003, 08:17 PM
After careful deliberation I decided I hated the first shot after I'd achieved the nicer more sophisticated look in the second shot so I decided to re-light the scene to look more dramatic and accent the car's features a bit better and this is what I came up with...

cholo
08-07-2003, 08:21 PM
Btw... I'm doing 20min. frames at 1920x1080 on a P4 1.7 :)

jester76
08-08-2003, 09:58 AM
unreal detail in the headlights
the car is F-ugly but the modeling and renders are superb man..keep it coming..close ups of the lights
maybe some mesh shots

KissMyGrits
08-08-2003, 06:34 PM
I think jester76 is right. The headlights look very odd. It looks like they are just open. If I were to do research I would probably find that they look very much like that in real life, but it's not my project.

jester76
08-08-2003, 07:13 PM
you got me all wrong bro

by "Unreal" I meant it was the most amzaing detail I've seen done on a headlight...looks like a photo...
but maybe it need more reflection on the glass now that you mention it..just to define it

KissMyGrits
08-08-2003, 09:11 PM
I think that's what I was thinkin'.

jester76
08-08-2003, 09:34 PM
sorry if that's what you meant..
I thought that you were implying that I thought that they looked unrealistic, but I meant quite the opposite..

cool...

cholo
08-18-2003, 09:41 PM
Another shot... Sorry for the delay to get the final clip ready, but rendering HD is quite slow. It's coming along really nice thoguh, be patient.

CiaranM
08-19-2003, 01:07 AM
I'm not really into the whole car thing, which seems to be really popular in digital art, but just thought I'd say how impressive I find your work.
May I ask what kind of lighting set up are you using? Also, the reflections are extremely nice and give a real pro finish to your images. Are you using an environment map for these reflections or have you built a highly contrasting set around the car? Either way, nice stuff.

Igu4n4
08-20-2003, 07:43 AM
I'm always looking for other's advice, or information as to how they build their environments and lighting for these type of shots. Mind sharing a little on how you achieved the lovely lighting? or a ss of the set?

Lightboxes with gradients is kind of a standard, but everyone seems to do it a little different. You have a beautiful set established here, and I'd like to know a bit about it if you'd be so kind to share :)

igu4n4

facial deluxe
08-20-2003, 08:14 AM
Excellent !!
So eaven rear headlights are modeled ? no map ? Wow...
Feel free t add some wires shots ;)

cholo
08-20-2003, 08:19 PM
Thanx all for all the encouraging comments. I will post some wire frames and renders of how I managed to make some specific details work later. As for the lighting setup it's just 3 spots with no shadows whatsoever, off white, with different intensities (mostly depends on the angle). The trick is in the surface, it has some additive gradients on the color map which are dependant on the light incidence for each light which makes the surface color react to the lights in a more pronounced manner. This shot is the one I'll be opening the clip with... More to come soon :)

Pogie
08-21-2003, 05:25 AM
any tips on surfacing a car would be gratefully received......thanks

pogie :p

tanker1812
08-21-2003, 11:51 AM
Nice paint job, I should hire you to paint my truck :D

Lewis
08-22-2003, 03:53 PM
Hi !

First of all i have to say - Great work cholo :).

now suggestions/comments/crits :)

- I would add rear/front license place holder (or at least screw holes to be more realistic. Ofcourse this is nitpicking :)

- It seems to me that your setting s of black plastic are wrong ? You dont' have ANY specularity on plastic parts ? AFAIK door nabs should be visible more. Now they just look like matte object wihtout any surface ? Same thing goes for side windows frame (black edges) and that balc part on roof ? Also i can't see keyhole in door nabs :)?

- Headlights and tailigihts are great no doubt but hadlights look like ther eis no glass/plastic over top ? It really need small reflections on that top part or even specularity spot 'coz new cars usualy do have that made from clear plastic instead glass like before few years. Also rear stop light in top spoiler is too dark. I would copy surface from tail lights and make it 20-30% less diffuse.

- Tyre rubber looks too dark to me also (totaly matte ?). Try to use LW's rubber presset and bring specularity to 40% glosines to 20% and bump map size lower to 1cm X,Y,Z.

I'am trying to help so don't be offended by my comments/complaints :). If i can help somehow just say i built few cars myself. I could write few more comments but i'll save them for later :)

cheers

cholo
08-22-2003, 04:55 PM
Yeah, there's a few things wrong with that particular car, but unfortunately since I will probably no longer be using it commercially, I'll just leave it as it is, and focus my energy towrds the next one... :) Here's a picture of the real car so you can better see what's right and what's wrong. Btw... I killed most specular highlights in the rubber on purpose, to achieve a more misterious look, less revealing... I have some shots I did a while ago in which did have specular highlights on the rubber, similar to the pictures of the car, but for this test project I tried to stay away from the look of the reference pictures and go for a look more my own, hehehe... Anyway, Maybe I'll do something else with that car later to test placing it in a virtual environment ;)

cholo
08-22-2003, 05:00 PM
This is one of the shots I used when I did the car. It was originally done for a video that I used at the Mexico City Autoshow. :)

Lewis
08-22-2003, 05:28 PM
Yes i remember when you posted that image (IIRC it was on old version of forums :)). I replyed there also.

BTW - any specific reason why you didn't want to go with silver car paint color ? TO me silver looks better then this hmm light brown or what it is :)? Even RED would look better and i "hate" red colored cars :).

cavalos
08-23-2003, 04:05 PM
El modelo es espectacular, sobretodo las luces posteriores a las que has añadido mucho detalle. Definitivamente el último render (el de costado) es el que más me gusta pues oculta el aspecto "computarizado" y demasiado perfecto del render en sí.
Sinceramente pienso que a este modelo le queda un poco de trabajo en lo que se refiere a surfacing e iluminación...Hay áreas que son demasiado "plásticas" y tienen un aspecto demasiado "mojado" con, a mi gusto, mucha especularidad lo que hace que se pierda el sentido de realismo que supongo le quieres dar.
Las manijas de las puertas están muy opacas y las ruedas brillan de forma insusualmente pareja y con mucho gloss.
Porsupuesto que este trabajo es un render directo de Lightwave y puede hacerse mucho en postproceso pero pienso que se necesita añadir un poco de la imperfección que nos rodea a diaro para hacer que este trabajo se transforme en algo excepcional.
Sin duda recordarás el modelo Ultra-Realista de un ford mustang negro compuesto sobre una calle e iluminado con overcaster que circulo en nuestra galería y en CG channel hace pocos meses.
Hay mucha técnica salvaje que pudieras sacar de ese trabajo para mejorar lo que hay aquí que de seguro no está muy lejos de un super render...nada más un poco de trabajo por aquí y por allá y quedará perfecto.

Saludos
Christian

cholo
08-27-2003, 12:59 AM
Gracias por los comentarios Christian. :) En la próxima ronda de renders voy a intentar añadir algo de especular a los hules. En cuanto a las superficies no perfectas no se puede ver mucho en stills, pero en movimiento es mas obvia la imperfeccion en las superficies ;) Espero que les guste a todos como quedo.

Ok, now for the good and bad news... Good news is I have the clip ready. Bad news is I am temporarily out of webspace to upload... If someone has some space to upload the animation I'll do so right away, otherwise it'll have to wait until I can vacate my own webspace from some work related stuff taking up some space :) The final clip will be ~10 MB, 1920*1080 24fps windows media 9.

igorstshirts
08-27-2003, 07:46 PM
The head and rear lights are almost identical to the pics... Scary.

TSpyrison
08-29-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by cholo
Thanx all for all the encouraging comments. I will post some wire frames and renders of how I managed to make some specific details work later. As for the lighting setup it's just 3 spots with no shadows whatsoever, off white, with different intensities (mostly depends on the angle). The trick is in the surface, it has some additive gradients on the color map which are dependant on the light incidence for each light which makes the surface color react to the lights in a more pronounced manner. This shot is the one I'll be opening the clip with... More to come soon :)

Thats pretty cool, it really does look like you used lightboxes..
I dont suppose some kind of tutorial on your lighting and/or surfacing might be in the futire??? :)

TSpyrison
08-29-2003, 08:57 PM
Err..

Future

TSpyrison
09-08-2003, 08:59 PM
Anything new from this project??