PDA

View Full Version : mech as nasa vehicles

jeffwildstar
11-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Hello. I'm new to the forums and pretty new to cg art. I worked for over a decade in 2d animtion on shows like "Courage the Cowardly Dog", "Jumanji", "Extreme Ghostbusters" etc. My website jeffbrennan.com has a bunch of 2d images on it. Here's a few images combining lightwave and photoshop showing what would happen if NASA hired out mechs for space missions. Thanks for looking!

Jeff

othornton
11-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi jeff,

I was a big fan of Courage, so thanks for your work on that. As for the mech, I actually think overall the images are fairly well composed, and the idea is very cool.

That being said, there are several technical details you may want to attend to:
-mechanical detail needs bolts, screws, and especially joints if you want people to believe it will move. Even the most cursory examination of your model shows that object have just been poked together, and nothing beyond the humanoid-ish shape suggests that it could ever move. Google up robots and give this guy some real joints! The foil is a great NASA touch that shows you know how spaceships/satelites are designed, give us more!
-space vehicles need tons of tiny jets all over, called vernier thrusters. If you look at any gundam model (or even a real spaceship) you will see these thrusters placed all over so the vehicle can maneuver in 0 gravity. Once you have them in place you can even add detail to your pic by having some of them active to keep it stationary as it floats outside a mobile space station.
-scale - the astronaut in the 1st pic is still visible and it makes the robot look puny
-you'll find very little response for robot pics in general unless they're super detailed or cleverly designed. This isn't an insult, it's a fact. In times where 3d artists are striving to add more and more detail and achieve photorealistic humans an assembly of primitives with some textures applied does not make a great model.

Honestly, I think you could address all these issues without changing your model much. The lighting is really quite good, but I would almost say the lighting is better than the model if that makes sense.

Apologies if this comes off as harsh. From the quality of the thumbnails I was really expecting more detail on the mech I guess.

Cheers,

-Oliver

jeffwildstar
11-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the comments. I have been doing this sort of thing for a little under 2 months, so I appreciate any kind of help steering me in the right direction. To quote Ed Wood "My next one will be better." Thanks for liking my work on Courage too!

Jeff