PDA

View Full Version : per polygon level with gradient not producing intuitive results

aSkeptic
11-02-2008, 11:45 AM
I am trying out the aps feature of lightwave 9.5. What I ultimately want to achieve is a planetiod made out of procedural textures that I can move from a far to up close while subdividing details that are close to the camera and keeping the rest basically unsubdivided. I've run into a number of problems. The first thing I tried was per pixel subdivision, which didn't do what I expected. I expected the polygons close to the camera would be subdivided more than the ones away from the camera. However, it indiscriminately subdivided the whole object leaving me plowing through virtual memory like the qe2 going aground. The next thing I tried was per polygon level subdivision with a gradient and a null object. The closer the null object goes to the planetoid, the more polys near that null I wanted to be subdivided. I could just parent the camera to the null and this should work right? Wrong. Polygons were getting subdivided but away from the null a considerable distance.

Here is a wmv file showing what happend:
http://ohiovr.com/testrenders/per%20polygon%20level,%20not%20intuitive.wmv

here is my scene file and objects:
http://ohiovr.com/testrenders/per%20polygon%20level,%20not%20intuitive.zip

thanks in advance

aSkeptic
11-05-2008, 05:34 PM
has anyone used aps for anything at all?

jameswillmott
11-05-2008, 06:35 PM
It depends on how fine your base mesh is. APS can only step one subdivision level from one base polygon to it's neighbour. If you don't have many base polygons, you'll find they all get subdivided about the same.

evolross
08-26-2011, 12:03 AM
I know this is an old thread, but your last comment helped me immensely. :thumbsup: I'd been struggling for hours with no results from trying to get a "Distance To" gradient working with APS for a mountain scene I'm doing. I tried using nulls, cameras, the different subdivision settings, nothing worked. Turns out my base geometry didn't have enough polys.

I have it working in Per Polygon Level mode. Does APS not work with Per Object Level subdivision?

jameswillmott
08-26-2011, 12:17 AM
I have it working in Per Polygon Level mode. Does APS not work with Per Object Level subdivision?

It should subdivide all polys in the mesh by the same level, but that level can change ( per frame, but not per poly ) depending on distance et. al.