PDA

View Full Version : Converting files to EPSF

rccalvillo
10-31-2008, 04:10 PM
I have 3D Arsenal with Lightwave 7.5. I have been attempting to import a logo in modeler and extruding it. But when I go to import it, I get error message, unknown file format, not recognized by this format converter. I have tried Photoshop psd, bmp, jpg, and tga, all to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was under the impression it would automatically convert, obviously I am wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help I get.

Exception
10-31-2008, 08:48 PM
You can use the import -> epsf loader in modeler.
I usually save as an old .ai file, then it always works.

JeffrySG
10-31-2008, 08:58 PM
The file also needs to be a VECTOR EPS file to work. It can't work with a raster eps file - such as a photo saved as an EPS out of photoshop, etc... :)

So if you're starting with a JPG for example, you'll need to either re-draw it or trace it in Illustrator or re-draw it right in LW.

Exception
10-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Oh yeah, good point Jeffry, if its an image use live trace in Illustrator, explode it and save it as an old version AI file.

JeffrySG
10-31-2008, 09:12 PM
Yeah, Illustrator's Live Trace usually does a nice job on a clean file. :) Don't be surprised if you need to do some clean up after the trace if it's a complicated object it will probably be easier to clean up in Illustrator rather than LW, but I suppose that depends on what software you feel more comfortable with.