PDA

View Full Version : That time again...

adrian
10-31-2008, 06:10 AM
My old system is packing up so I need to buy a new one. The system I'm thinking of buying is the one below. Will this work well with LW, After Effects and Vue do you reckon?

I'm also going to be buying a Matrox RTX.2 video capture card as well.

Intel DG33BU uATX G33 motherboard
4GB 800 DDR2 MGhz RAM
2.83Ghz Q9550 1333FSB 12MB Cache Quad Core Processor
250GB Hitachi EIDE 7200RPM 8MB Cache HDD
2x 750GB Seagate 7200RPM SATA 32MB Cache HDD
ATI 512MB 3650 DDR3 PCIe dual DVI graphics card
2.1 subwoofer speaker set
Antec P180 Mini quiet case with front mounted eSata and USB
Enermax Pro 625 PSU
Windows XP Professional

I'm not sure about that graphics card though. Is that as good as the one I have at present - an Nvidia FX5700?

Thanks for any advice :)

The Dommo
10-31-2008, 06:36 AM
Setup sounds pretty fine - although from what I've read here, people seem to find nVidia cards work better with LW. In my experience this is also true of using Adobe Premiere, which is what the RTX.2 card will work through.

We've got an Axio HD system here and it runs pretty sweet with nVidia card.

Only one thing, you won't be able to use more than 3GB RAM - which is a right pain-in-the-arse because Adobe are so rubbish at moving into the world of 64bits, that Premiere and AFX are STILL not 64bit, and therefore Matrox won't create and 664bit drivers for their editing cards. I can easily make our system cry because it runs out of RAM when dealing with HD. Funnily enough, even a baby with a lollipop could tell you that doing intense HD work on limited RAM is just a stupid idea, and the fact that we don't have this ability yet is simply pathetic and shameful.

AVID have had 64bit editing systems for a while now, and they seem to be in the process of dying. So why can't Adobe do it? Simply pathetic, in my opinion.