PDA

View Full Version : Any dynamite users out there ?

larkis
10-30-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm considering purchasing this plugin http://www.cantarcan.com/v12/index.html and while they have a demo version i would like to know if anyone here tested it in actual production and how it holds up on more than demo scenes such as a sphere emitting a flame.

Mr Rid
10-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Have heard of significant issues in production. I never went near it as it always sounded essentially unsupported. There are a number of threads about how the programmer never answer emails. I dont care how neat it is if it isnt working in the middle of a deadilne and no one is listening.

StereoMike
10-30-2008, 04:52 PM
I also never bought it, but watched the problems others had with getting support.
Something to consider: You will know most likely some plugins that quit functioning after a LW update (e.g. LW 9 cycle) and needed some love from their developer (adapting to sdk changes etc) to work again.
Now think about a developer who doesn't give his creations that needed love. It's just a matter of time when dynamite won't work any longer with the current lw version.

my 2ct
mike

Stooch
10-30-2008, 04:54 PM
I wonder if he ever reads these threads.

with all the hate for his support, one would think he simply doesnt care about what customers think as long as they give him their money. Not the best quality of a business owner. or maybe he knows that his work is crap so he doesnt want to show his face to all the pissed ripped off users.

Phil
10-30-2008, 06:14 PM
I have it. On Mac at least it works reasonably well. There are neat things :

- The latest version supports LW's fog in some fashion. It's not fogging as well as you might hope for, but it's reasonable
- It's reasonably fast to render fluid volumes - particle FX driven volumes render somewhat slower, with some really severe edge cases where render time increase by an order of magnitude.

There are issues :

- the fire shader in fluid mode is a little tricky to get to grips with
- baked PFX volumes will not render with dynamite 1.2 - the effect will render at world origin as though a null has been placed there. Sucks for renderfarm usage; the developer has yet to respond to this problem.
- loading scenes from Windows installs into Mac installs will cause all dynamite settings to be lost. Saving and loading to a dynamite settings file will not workaround this - you have to rebuild your effects on either side.
- the cache file and other settings are embedded as crud in the scene file, so you cannot simply change paths in a text editor before sending the scene to the farm - you'll have to adjust them in Dynamite directly.

The big ticket item(s) for 1.2 are that threading now works without corruption in the frame, and the cache file compression is utterly wonderful. I'd had problems in the past with really detailed fluids generating multi-gigabyte cache files. Now it takes some serious effort to reach that level - I've no complaints over the fluid side of things, and if baked PFX could work with it, there would be little to moan about.

Now for the big BUT :

several people have tried to get a license for Can. They've paid and then received no license code, nor any response to mail. Since I bought just after Dynamite was first released, I've not experienced this problem, but it's something to be aware of. If you are unlucky, you'll need to take up the case with the credit card, or worse, Paypal in order to get your money back

tonybliss
10-30-2008, 06:27 PM
that sucks .... i should pirate his software then ....

:P

but seriously he is doing the reverse to his industry
sad .. vvery sadd

Phil
10-30-2008, 06:30 PM
or maybe he knows that his work is crap so he doesnt want to show his face to all the pissed ripped off users.

Problem is that Dynamite isn't really crap. It's very, very nice when you are able to use it. On Mac, it's not been a cause of much annoyance, with the exception of the brokeness with baked PFX volumes - everything else works. When you try to take Dynamite scenes between platforms, it goes wrong for the issue mentioned in the earlier post.

Hopefully we'll get something integrated in future from NewTek. Until then, there really is no option that is available within LW itself. That fire shader is lovely.

zapper1998
10-30-2008, 06:40 PM
I would like to see the person continue the dynamite..
the lite version is really nice
I would buy it if he would continue the plugin...

maybe his girl friend tied him up and forgot about him .....