PDA

View Full Version : Particle Penetration

Richard Hebert
10-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Can anyone tell me the procedure for keeping particles from penetrating a mesh? The scenario is... canons firing on an aircraft producing volumetric smoke that travels down the side of the aircraft a little. I'm using LW 9.3 in case you need that info. Thanks once again guys.

silviotoledo
10-30-2008, 02:46 PM
You can try to change the MODE on the colliding object to STICK

Richard Hebert
10-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the tip. I wouldn't have thought to use that mode for this project. You're King for the day!

Richard

Mr_Q
10-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Also be sure to add some SIZE to particles when running sims. The default is ZERO. This can cause them all not to interact with a collision item. They slip through.

Using OBJECT-ADVANCED for the collision type and running a sim in addition to particle size helps to eliminate thre slipping particles too.

Richard Hebert
10-31-2008, 04:17 PM
Great tips everyone. I'll check out each option. I overcame my immediate problem by adding a little velocity to the x value of Forces. The particles had a tendency to travel back down the gun tube after encountering the wind dynamic. I haven't looked into this yet but does collisions respect back facing polys as well? If so, maybe I could set a back facing poly in the gun tube just behind the emitter causing the particles to not travel back down into the barrel and being invisible to the camera as well. I'll try this out but feel free to comment as it may be a day or two before I can get around to experimenting.

Richard