PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Good KVM Switches

JBT27
10-30-2008, 12:11 PM
OK, I have completely had enough of my ludicrous Belkin KVM - one of those flat USB two port with audio relatively cheap ones. I have seen plenty of bad things said about it, and mine displays many of the problems people report. Sad, because the serial version of the same works great.

So, what are the recommendations for better and reliable please? I need only two ports (USB) and audio, and I'm in the UK, so preferably one I can easily get hold of here.

Thanks.

Julian.

kopperdrake
10-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Hmm - if it weren't for the audio you need I'd go for the small open source synergy application. I've had a couple of KVM switches and found synergy was better than anything - cross platform, controlled the mouse and keyboard so they were shared, then I just switched channels on my monitor to the appropriate computer as most monitors have at least dual two inputs.

gatz
10-30-2008, 12:37 PM
I use an iogear 2X at work and a 4X dual at home. I use it with both Mac and XP systems (G5, MDD G4, Dell nameless, and a MacTel dual boot laptop) no problems. With the GCS712 (2X) there is no physical switch, the toggle is byway of a double tap on Scroll Lock. This can cause a problem if to shut down a machine you are switch to. Alway toggle way from the CPU shutting down or being detacted or you can't get back.

The 4X allows me to share two VGA monitors between four machines. I would prefer DVI connections but they don't as yet offer dual DVI monitor KVMs yet. Since I have Dell displays I simply use a DVI connect for my laptop and toggle the KVM for USB and switch the monitor manually.

My biggest complaint is that Windows isn't smart enough to remember the diffent monitor setups so manual tweaking is required to adjust resolutions. Also (and I don't know if this MacTel specific) Windows doesn't take well to having a external monitor disconnected. Sometimes it will reset the task bar (which has to be repositioned when the second display is reattached) or it will remain hidden (requiring fiddling to use the laptop display).

rg

tribbles
10-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Quad DVI KVM:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Port-StarView-Switch-Display/dp/B0002ICCGA

Although I haven't found a USB K/M option yet (although I'm sure I did when I looked at it a couple of months back).

Ahh - there you go:

http://www.gdsys.de/DVIMUX4_8_multi-channel.245.0.html?&L=1&gclid=CMfo5ez9z5YCFRyS1Qod8VyK2Q

JBT27
10-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the ideas! I'll check those tomorrow. Very curious about Synergy.....never heard of it, but interested that you found it more usable than a hardware KVM, kopperdrake.....now, do I have the guts to actually try that during production :D

Julian.

kopperdrake
10-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Hehe - I used synergy for two years after someone on here recommended it - had a dual monitor set up with two machines running both monitors. It was kind of funky, you hit a preset key combination, you moved your mouse off the screen in one direction, then it would appear on the other side of the screen and it and the keyboard were now linked to the other PC. Only thing I had to do was switch the input on the monitor to the second PC - a button push. It works on IP addresses on the network so I even had it working over a Mac and two PCs at one stage, until I got enough room for a long bench and a chair on wheels ;)

Dunk

axaboss
10-30-2008, 11:05 PM
If you want a reliable KVM switch. Get a Rosewill USB 2 port KVM Switch. It works flawlessly between my 2 windows XP computers. The best part is that it cost only $40 for everything - the box, cables (VGA, USB keyboard and mouse) and switching button.