PDA

View Full Version : Big Problem with Nvidia Driver - Need Help Please

JBT27
10-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Yesterday I started to get a serious problem on my LW machine, where the mouse cursor would stick on buttons, or window edges and dividers, in LW, Modo and on the Desktop - I have a USB keyboard and mouse running through one of those crappy Belkin KVM switches, which although flakey generally works OK. Plugging the mouse and keyboard directly into the box didn't alter this.

So I wondered about the video driver, Forceware 91.36 for my Quadro FX3400 - uninstalled then reinstalled. I then got a problem where the driver would not retain anything other than default low res display settings - could not make it keep the custom settings I need.

So today I install a different driver - 178.26_quadro_winxp2k_international_whql.exe - which is apparently the newest listed for my card. However, although the custom settings saty with this, Layout crashes instantly with it. 9.3.1 just crashes at startup, whereas 9.5 generates a critical error and crashes when I click any button in Layout. Modeler seems OK though.

Any ideas for either or both problems, short of a system reinstall? I don't have alot on this box, so it's not out of the question, but I'd rather not. What driver does anyone recommend for this card? My usual 91.36 is quite elderly now, but like I say, I keep to it because it works.

Thanks for any help.

Julian.

JamesCurtis
10-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Check these possibilities.

Maybe a virus or other infection?
Machine overheating?
Corrupted system or program file(s)?
Memory going bad?

This is all I can think of.

JBT27
10-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks - yep, the usual suspects get interrogated first.

I have re-re-re-re-installed the ForceWare 91.36 driver, and so far the custom settings are surviving restarts, and the show-stopping LW crashing has stopped. Why this didn't fix this the first time I re-installed I have no idea, but anyway, I'll see how this goes.

Julian.