PDA

View Full Version : Object centre

Andy Webb
10-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Does anyone know if there is a 64 bit plug-in that can place a vertex at the centre of either a polygon or an object?

There is a plug on Flay but its 32 bit.

Cheers

cagey5
10-30-2008, 09:20 AM
I don't know the answer to your question but, as a workround you could always place a point at the origin then F2 the object [Not always convenient I know] to centre it.

Andy Webb
10-30-2008, 09:37 AM
That isn't really going to work for me, I can think of a work around for what I need but I was hoping for something a bit more convenient.

Cheers.

art
10-30-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm not sure if this would be more helpful than the previous suggestion, but there was once a script by Mike Pauza that moved the pivot to the center of mass/gravity.
Right now I am not sure if lscript can read pivot's location, but if it can, you could easily create a point there.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32534

I wonder if it is still available on Kurv's website. I could not find it.

Surrealist.
10-30-2008, 10:46 AM
What about "Find Center" in native modeler? Is that not in the 64 bit version?

cagey5
10-30-2008, 11:13 AM

That works for the poly side of things, but not the object, unless I'm missing something.

Point centre will give the co-ordinates for the centre but it's awkward as you can't even cut and paste them or even enter them into the point tool with the window open. You have to write them down, close the window then type them in.

Andy Webb
10-30-2008, 11:50 AM

Yes I found that but as Cagey5 says, it only gives the co-ordinates and you can't cut and paste to them to the point tool.

I'm really looking to find the centre of polys rather than objects.

cagey5
10-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Well 'find centre', does find the centre of polys. And places a point there at the same time. It's 'point centre' that could do with working the same way.

Andy Webb
10-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Well 'find centre', does find the centre of polys. And places a point there at the same time. It's 'point centre' that could do with working the same way.

That's exactly what I was after.

This has highlighted a different problem.

'find_centre' was not in my list of plug-ins. A search found it, plus a lot of other plug-ins which have not been added to my plug-ins list.

Scan directory is finding them but it is not adding them to the plug-in list.

The 'addition plug-ins' drop down list is not showing them, they are only showing up in the edit menu layout panel listed under 'additional'.

Surrealist.
10-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Yeah. I have put that plugin in my own custom menu. I don't use it that often but it is handy if you want a point placed at the center which was what it sounded like you wanted. Got me thinking it was not included in the 64 bit. :)

But there seems to be two different "additionals" One is on the right that is in the menu display. The one on the left if I remember correctly have not been assigned anywhere yet. I think there are just so many plugins that the interface would be cluttered so you have a default set of plugins and you can poke around and find th rest. At least that is what seems to be from what I can tell.

art
10-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Sorry for splitting hair here, but I just wanted to make you guys aware of this. The find center command in LW seems to be using average of polygon vertices to find the center. This is probably no major issue in cases of tris, quads and simple polygons, but the distribution of the can points affects the placement of the averaged center, as opposed to the polygon centroid.

Andy Webb
10-30-2008, 06:38 PM
The find center command in LW seems to be using average of polygon vertices to find the center. This is probably no major issue in cases of tris, quads and simple polygons, but the distribution of the can points affects the placement of the averaged center, as opposed to the polygon centroid.

Yes I can see how it could be a problem :(

Surrealist.
10-31-2008, 03:34 AM
Just depends on what you need it for I guess.