PDA

View Full Version : Sound not matching Waveform (T3)

B. Schuster
08-05-2003, 05:35 PM
While editing sound files in T-3 I've noticed that the Waveform visual reference is not matching the sound that is coming through the speakers, for instance I can set my visual Waveform of sound to the first slope up, but as I am sliding to that position I can hear sound that has not occurred yet (Visually) :rolleyes: Understand :confused:

mgrusin
08-06-2003, 10:49 AM
What format of sound files are you using?

I've had problems like this with .WMA and .MP3 files. I'd like to see improvement in this area, but converting your audio to .WAV files before using it in the Toaster is an effective workaround.

Good luck! -MG

B. Schuster
08-06-2003, 11:37 AM
After some testing (I'll do more later) I've found problems with:
(RTV Recorded pre-VT-3) I can't hear anything while scrubing in the edit panel,
(WAV Recorded pre-VT-3) Sometimes won't play / Sometimes will,
(WAV Recorded with VT-3) Always plays, but not always visually sync with waveform,

On the timeline they all play as set visually to waveform

Paul Lara
08-06-2003, 12:40 PM
You need to change a Preference setting: EDITING | GENERAL | MOTION REMOVAL WHEN JOGGING needs to be set to Enabled and then audio will scrub.

We changed audio sampling behavior in VT[3], and the reason you see audio waveforms not in sync with actual audio is that the data in the NewTekInfo folder is not correct.

So, Delete the NewTekInfo folder, and those waveforms will be re-generated automatically.

B. Schuster
08-06-2003, 01:07 PM
Paul Lara was quoted saying:
"So, Delete the NewTekInfo folder, and those waveforms will be re-generated automatically."

Where is this "Info" folder?

BTW, my settings already are set to "Enabled"
But my audio drive was created when I was using T-2, if that matters.

slacker
08-06-2003, 01:22 PM
You'll have to go to windows explorer to see the NewTekInfo folders. They don't show up in the toaster environment. They are in the same folder as your clips. For example, a clip in c:\myclips would have a corresponding cache folder called NewTekInfo in the c:\myclips folder. It is only a cache storage point, and if you delete it the toaster will simply regenerate it with the proper info as needed.

B. Schuster
08-07-2003, 01:28 PM
OK, So I've cleared out my "NewTekInfo" dir's from my audio drive, re-booted, and re-started VT-3.

Now in edit I load 1 (one) audio Wav file, open edit props and scrub through the sound. (The sound matches the Wavform)
Then I add another Wav file from the same audio dir. (I've even copied and pasted the first file too) What ever sound that I add, second, third, fourth, Etc. The only sound that plays while scrubbing in edit, is the first one in the project. Second, Third, Etc. does not.

B. Schuster
08-15-2003, 12:04 PM
SO...

I've checked with our VT-3 Dealer and they were able to re-create this problem, then I contacted Newtek Support and he was also able to re-create the problem.

That was last week.

???

B. Schuster
10-07-2003, 11:57 AM
Apparently a patch for this problem did not make it into the "Bucket of Patches" and even with the new build I'm experiencing this same problem.

Guess I'll just live with it!
:(

Paul Lara
10-24-2003, 03:47 PM
You're saying that audio clip 1 scrubs and plays fine, but if you copy that to a later location in the timeline, that same clip no longer works properly? And this is a .wav file?

I cannot duplicate that problem here.

B. Schuster
10-24-2003, 04:18 PM
Paul,

Just now I opened a new project and placed a music clip (.wav) on the timeline (just music) opened it in Edit Properties and while scrubbing it sounds fine and matches the visual ref. BUT if I add another audio clip (or copy the same music clip) that new clip does not match the scrubbing visual in Edit Properties.

This will either not play any sound during scrub, or not match the visual.

And it affects all the sound clips past the first one in the timeline.

Here's one, if I stack the audio files on the timeline to all start at 00:00:00.0 they all play and edit fine. ?!?
and if I move the clips to start at, say 00:01:59.28 on the timeline, if I go into edit properties in that audio clip, I donít hear the start of it until,
You guessed it, 00:01:59.28 of the clips in point. But if I leave the inpoint there it will play wrong (00:01:59.28 past the start of sound)

Any thoughts?
:confused:

steveg
10-25-2003, 11:05 AM
This may be obvious to most. But, some may not be aware of this: Make sure you are recordina sync audio files on the same drive that it's video is being recorded on. If you record audio on a different drive it will drift from the video.

Paul Lara
10-25-2003, 12:03 PM
Are you running DirectX 9.0b?
If you're not sure, in the Start | Run command, type 'dxdiag' and the bottom of the first panel reports the installed version.

UnCommonGrafx
10-25-2003, 01:56 PM
This doesn't happen on my box. I was curious and now have 9 copies on the timeline, alll playing and scrubbing. Haven't checked the visual accuracy.

B. Schuster
10-27-2003, 09:31 AM
Paul;

I just got back in from the weekend.

And I do have DirectX 9.0b.

Another thing that I've noticed, there seems to be a connection with the Edit Line.

If I have the audio clip starting later on the line (00:00:20.0) and the Edit Line is at 0, the clip in edit properties mode starts to make sound during scrubbing at 00:00:20.0 after the waveform's visual start location, but if I select the clip and "Stop" the Edit Line moves to 00:00:20.0 and, in Edit Properties the clip makes sound at the same position that the waveform visually shows it should.

I'm attaching a screen grabs to help explain.

B. Schuster
10-27-2003, 09:40 AM
Image (I hope)

JFAns
11-07-2003, 04:30 AM
Hello

Just my feed back

I cant reproduce this effect in my system, all play well, even the the visual accuracy.

Jose Anselmo

B. Schuster
11-07-2003, 08:45 AM
Are you using VT (3)?, I didn't have this problem until (3) and when I contacted tech support he was able to re-create the problem, So I thought it would be on the "fix list" but the currant build didn't fix it (for Me at least)... Anyone else having this problem?

steveg
11-08-2003, 11:36 AM
what video display card are you using? if it is a geforce card do you have the latest drivers. Don't know if this will fix it but I ran into this same problem on a ATI card a year and a half ago. Changed to a GeForce card and the problem went away.

JFAns
11-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Im using VT3, and my graphic card is a GeForce 4600 with the latest drivers.

tomahack
11-09-2003, 09:37 AM
I actually experienced the same problem as yours.

B. Schuster
11-10-2003, 08:24 AM
I'm glad, or relieved, that others are experiencing the same problems.

My graphics card is Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 440 version 4.1700.30.00
Driver Version 6.14.10.4403
I don't know if this is the latest.

tomahack
11-10-2003, 10:00 AM
My graphics card is Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 440 version 4.1700.30.00

I own the exact same card as yours....