PDA

View Full Version : Image filters that output renders

raw-m
10-30-2008, 04:05 AM
This is more of a relocation request than a feature (but other things may come off it).

Basically, I'd like to see anything that spits out an image set in the Processing/Add Image Filter box to be moved to Render Globals/Output tab. Perhaps some kind of idot proof popup box warning me whether this is set correctly on an F9/F10 render might be an alternative(?).

I'm using the PSD export a lot recently in combination with the Output tab in the Render Globals window. After finishing a scene I've be "saving scene as" and using that as a basis for my next scene. Trouble is, I occasionally forget to check the Processing tab/Image filter settings so any test renders I do on my new scene over-rights a render from my previous scene.

I'd be interested in any other workflows people have in a similar situation.
Cheers.

3DGFXStudios
10-30-2008, 04:30 AM
I overwrite my renders all the time....So I agree with your idea. Also a plugin that easily enables you to save the render passes to separate files would be nice. I use the RLAexport plugin a lot but with that one you need to add many copies of the plugin to save all the passes available. So a plugin that saves all passes to separate files would be handy. And put it in the render output area like raw-m just mentioned....

JMarc
10-30-2008, 08:49 AM
I'd like to see this type of render pass management developed as a nodal environment where we could save out separate passes (like ambient occlusion for example) globally, per object or per surface. We could generate hold-out mattes and specular/reflection passes all in one hit of F10.

So we would have Scene/Global Nodes, Object Nodes and Surface Nodes that we open and select which Object or Surface we want to output. Then plug the desired output into a Render Output Node where we select the file format and render location. One render generates multiple output images similar to the Image Filter options we have now but with much more power and flexibility.

Entire networks of output nodes could be saved and reused.

Just thinking out loud here. Anybody listening?

3DGFXStudios
10-30-2008, 08:52 AM
An other thing that might be cool is render settings presets. <--- really

raw-m
10-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Outputting in a Nodal stylee is a great idea! That would give us access to everything. Do it!

3DGFXStudios
10-30-2008, 09:25 AM
didn't dpont made a node that does that already? Or close to that idea?

raw-m
10-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Did you mean these? (http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html) (Node Image Filter). I'll still suffer from overwriting problems, though!

Anyone tired them? Looks interesting.

3DGFXStudios
10-30-2008, 11:11 AM
yea I think that are the nodes I ment. One trick to not overwrite your files is to render them in your main render dir and after the sequence is finished copy them in a sub folder called 1_Render_Occlusion, 2_Render_Specular_Shading etc (for instance). Instead of directly render to the directories. I did that for the down to Earth Project project. see this link... http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89569