PDA

View Full Version : how much power can be needed LW

maximus210
10-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Hi I have been a LW user since 7.5 I'm not great but make it work I have a 8 core Mac Pro running 3.2 gh with 10 gig or ram my question is how do people render complex scenes ? I just bought a 737 airplane Model form Turbo Squid it is a med to Hi res model but I can't even display it properly it takes 20 seconds just to appear when I move the camera?

I have set GL display settings low I'm running 9.3 waiting for 9.5 update

should I be able to use med - Hi res models ?

Thanks fro any help

T

Lewis
10-30-2008, 01:52 AM
Hmm it has been long time since 7.5 so i frankly don't remember how good openGL was back then but i know OpenGL got upgrade with 9.x series which is much faster so if you can better to upgrade to 9.5 :).

colkai
10-30-2008, 03:42 AM
I can vouch for even 9.5 being faster than 9.31 so yup, well worth being "up there" with this release.
Not to mention all the other goodies, plus, it still runs on very lowly equipment, as much as one would love a high end quad core with 8GB of ram, I can and have run it on a 1.4 Celeron with 512MB of ram, you may not get all the juicy goodness of OGL everything, but there are few 3D programs which can run on such low spec'd machines these days. :)

Slick Systems
10-30-2008, 04:43 AM
Try reducing the previews to bounding box for some of the objects on the stage this will help to speed up the interface, and help redraw. It won't affect rendering and If I remember correctly when you actually move or the object it shows a wireframe preview (or am I confused...).

If bounding box is too imprecise you could try setting the level to vertices only then you'd be able to see the object in a more suitable form.

Complex scenes are a b$tch I'm currently modelling a stadium (several million polys and counting) and it draggs...

I work on the same mac as yourself and every time I get lots of polys in modeler in just takes forever to perform any operations, 9.3.1 on the Mac is by far the worst release I've been unfortunate to own - lots of great new features but in a really buggy and unstable environment - even some of the useability features I took for granted in previous releases are buggy in 9.3.1 - like double clicking the title bar to minimise the window broken! and switching to the finder and back delay! delay!.... 9.5.x is supposed to be a big improvement over 9.3.x and hopefully it will be available for us soon?? (come on Newtek throw us mac guys a rope?)

Do us mac guys have to max out our machines to get some decent speed from this release? or put that 1500 graphics card in there? Bizarrely the speed of the open GL seems to be ok for me it's just the overall slowness of the app that's irritating.

Anyway end of rant. Hope the above tip helps you.

Otterman
10-30-2008, 05:13 AM
Some good advice slick has there! However a 1500 graphics card wont help you.....a NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 gives about as good a performance as a standard card but will make your wallet a heck of a lot lighter to!

Im really excited about 9.5 final release being around the corner but i was hoping to be able to use all my oober ram with some 64bit luvlyness by now! Shame

Mrjack
10-30-2008, 06:01 AM
Im user since LW6
and i think, the solution of ur probleme is some compositing ;)

Hieron
10-30-2008, 06:54 AM
Maximus: how many poly's are in your scene, how big are the textures, what GL options do you have activated etc. "medium to high" is rather vague, and "GL options to low" is too.

20 seconds sounds like absolutely unworkable.. if you can't get around the slow issue (try your scene on other pc's! the video card matters, not your 8 core as much, so try many cards or setups) try something like this:

Try bounding box, or wireframe modes. Or try to go for lower poly stand in objects to get swapped at rendertime. If it is just for animating, you can even try a rather crude method of "reduce polys" etc. Just to get a the shape to work with with doable refresh rates.

JonW
10-30-2008, 11:38 PM
Are the Drivers installed for the graphics card. This is not normally a problem with a Mac but it may be worth checking.

clagman
10-31-2008, 02:26 PM
Also work in one viewport if you can, really speeds up.