PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge#12

Iain
10-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Speed Modelling Challenge#12
Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Subject - Victorian Clothing or Accessories
Time Limit - 60 minutes

Great subject from Geothefaust. Let your imagination do its worst!

parm
10-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Ok! I'm thinking Whalebone corsets and black Jet jewelery.

A trip to the V&A at the weekend I think.:)

geothefaust
10-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Hehe, awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with. ;) This should be interesting!

Hopper
10-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Ok! I'm thinking Whalebone corsets and black Jet jewelery.
I wasn't familiar with the term 'black jet jewelry', so I looked it up and found some really nice pieces. Anyone care to model this? I'd love to see it.

http://www.mytragicbeauty.com/immortel/filmnoir.jpg

IMI
10-29-2008, 11:58 PM
At the risk of sounding uncultured, what exactly comprises "Victorian Clothing or Accessories"? I mean, I have a general idea, and I know when the Victorian era was and what it was, but does anyone have a link to some good reference material? Clothing is obvious, but what would accessories be?

geothefaust
10-30-2008, 01:57 AM
One could say that I have a strong disposition toward all things Victorian. Be it clothing, pocket watches, speech and grammar, steam punk so on and so forth. What a great era! :)

Accessories can be anything from handbags, pocket watches, gloves, hats & head gear, spectacles & monocles, parasols, fans, corsets, shawls, collars, lapel pin, ties, cravats, etc... Hope that's enough to work from. ;) I might venture to say that you could even do a glass of whiskey or gin, quaint accessory of the time.

Also, here are some resources to point you in the right direction.

These ones I've used over the years for reference. (the Gentleman's Emporium have nice clothes)
http://trulyvictorian.com/index.html
http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/index.php

This one is new to me, but I just spent some time tonight checking it out. Great resource as well.
http://www.victoriana.com/Victorian-Fashion/

Hope this helps. :)

geothefaust
10-30-2008, 02:00 AM
I wasn't familiar with the term 'black jet jewelry', so I looked it up and found some really nice pieces. Anyone care to model this? I'd love to see it.

Man that would be fun, but I don't know if I could squeeze that into an hour. :eek:

Nice find there by the way, beautiful.

IMI
10-30-2008, 02:34 AM
Yes, that helps. Thank you geothefaust. :)

Iain
10-30-2008, 02:35 AM
Also, here are some resources to point you in the right direction.

These ones I've used over the years for reference. (the Gentleman's Emporium have nice clothes)
http://trulyvictorian.com/index.html
http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/index.php

This one is new to me, but I just spent some time tonight checking it out. Great resource as well.
http://www.victoriana.com/Victorian-Fashion/

Great stuff.
The Victorians had a really distinctive visual style. I love the idea of this-just hope I can do it justice :)

Korvar
10-30-2008, 04:48 AM
Bagsy the top hat:

50 minutes modelling (including downloading the thickener plugin)

ANS
10-30-2008, 09:52 AM
Bamboo walking stick - reference image from here: http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/001788.php (thanks geothefaust! your links helps a lot!)
about 20 minutes for model.

geothefaust
10-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Great stuff.
The Victorians had a really distinctive visual style. I love the idea of this-just hope I can do it justice :)

Indeed, the era was so full of character. I'm hoping the same thing of myself. I don't want to taint the image.

Korvar, excellent hat.

ANS, that looks great.

Nice entries guys! :thumbsup: Can't wait to see more.

Korvar
10-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Ka-texture!

Iain
10-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Nice work guys. Fast off the mark too!

JeffrySG
10-30-2008, 01:40 PM

I thought that was a render at first.... :eek: lol

Hopper
10-30-2008, 01:52 PM
I wish ...

pixelzero
10-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Clothing clasps...about 45 minutes.

geothefaust
10-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Nice pixelzero! :thumbsup:

geothefaust
10-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Here's a Bowler hat. Simple and easy.

Time: Just under 30 minutes.

Korvar
10-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Very nice!

parm
10-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Off to a great start with this.

I like the hats.

IMI
10-30-2008, 06:02 PM

I would think modeling the main body of it wouldn't be too much of a problem if you used transparency mapping for the lace. But that chain... I can't even imagine the trouble that would be, wouldn't even know where to begin to get all those links intertwined like that.

JeffrySG
10-30-2008, 08:29 PM
^yeah... I was thinking of the same thing.. maybe some hard surface dynamics for the chains to lay correctly...?

ps. re: your avatar - I just played HL2 and finished Ep.1 and I'm almost done with Ep.2 now! Love them all!

geothefaust
10-30-2008, 08:31 PM
I was thinking either dynamics to get them to set with weight, or you could use LWCAD3.

IMI
10-30-2008, 08:58 PM
^yeah... I was thinking of the same thing.. maybe some hard surface dynamics for the chains to lay correctly...?

ps. re: your avatar - I just played HL2 and finished Ep.1 and I'm almost done with Ep.2 now! Love them all!

No idea on the chain thing. Hard dynamics maybe - if it cooperated. Maybe some kind of linking or even bones? Maybe if someone asks William Vaughan nicely enough he'll do a video for it. ;)

RE the avatar - I just made that today. Yeah, I'm a huge HL-2 fan, played through all of them several times over, more times than I could count. EP 1 & 2 are amazing - I can't wait for EP 3.

Well I got half a pocket watch done in an hour. I think I need to either lower my expectations or give up on speed modeling attempts. ;)
Still, it's alot of fun to try. Even a few weeks ago I couldn't have gotten this far in just an hour, so it's helping at least.
Now I wish I hadn't avoided learning subpatch modeling for so long.

geothefaust
10-30-2008, 09:10 PM
AWESOME Pocket watch. :thumbsup:

Just a note IMI, don't give up - Ever. Keep at it, and you'll get it. That watch was a huge under taking, something like that is going to eat your time away pretty quickly. But you did a killer job with it.

JeffrySG
10-30-2008, 09:16 PM
yeah, def. keep up with it! I like these speed modeling sessions because they are an excuse to practice a bit but you know you don't need to spend 10hrs working on something. Every little bit helps!

The watch looks great!

Hopper
10-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Clothing clasps...about 45 minutes.
I saw that on hunting for images .. I almost did that one ... nice piece.

IMI
10-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Oh, well, thanks, guys. :)

The reference picture I used had all kinds of fancy decorative inlays and ...greebles (for lack of a better word, lol) all over it, and I figured I'd see if I could get the body taken care of and maybe ZBrush some detail into it later on via displacement maps.

Hopper
10-30-2008, 11:09 PM
I would think modeling the main body of it wouldn't be too much of a problem if you used transparency mapping for the lace. But that chain... I can't even imagine the trouble that would be, wouldn't even know where to begin to get all those links intertwined like that.
Hmmm now you got me thinkin...

How a bout a bunch of bones and cloth dynamics?

colkai
11-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Well, this one took me down to the wire (groan!)
I'd like to thank Rope Editor for making this possible. :thumbsup:

May go back and start afresh and tweak a couple of things in a rebuild, but the thing that does me is the render really, this size took 27 mins on my little 2.4 AMD64 3800+ - Not sure if that is good, bad or plain awful render time.

Some overbright bits on the 'jewels' too, but given it takes 7 mins at summat like 220 x 192 to render, I am not sure if I've the patience to sort it out. :confused:

Have attached the LWO/LWS if anyone would like to see where I'm fecking up my render. :p

JeffrySG
11-01-2008, 12:10 PM
That came out great, colkai!

Is the rope editor from LW CAD? or is it a different plugin?

borkus
11-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Rope editor (http://www.next4d.com/)

Really nice plugin

RollerJesus
11-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Hey colkai, nice model.

This rendered in 43 seconds on my machine (Q6600 - LW 9.5 64 bit) with no changes from your render settings, seems a pretty drastic change to me...

What version of LW are you using?

colkai
11-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Hiya,
Latest build, Win32 on an AMD3800+ (2.4GHz)
This took 20 mins for 800x600

JeffrySG
11-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Hey colkai, nice model.

This rendered in 43 seconds on my machine (Q6600 - LW 9.5 64 bit) with no changes from your render settings, seems a pretty drastic change to me...

What version of LW are you using?

same time on my quad core mac pro. 9.5.1 UB. 45sec or so...

thx borkus - that rope editor looks very cool!

colkai
11-01-2008, 01:19 PM
that rope editor looks very cool!

no way I could of done this without it. :)

Hopper
11-01-2008, 01:55 PM
same time on my quad core mac pro. 9.5.1 UB. 45sec or so...
Just for fun .. OC'd to 4.1 - render time 20.4 seconds.

- Then it BSOD'd on me. Back to stock speed - 42.8 seconds.

I like the rope plugin too. Really handy to have. I tried the demo and it seems to work quite well with 9.5. I might have to try my hand at some jewelry also if I have some time.

IMI
11-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Very nice, colkai!

34.4 seconds.
LW 9.5 64 bit, Q9550.

COBRASoft
11-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Imagine Rope Editor embedded in LW Cad, now that would be awesome... Viktor, I asked you this before :)

Nice models so far!

archijam
11-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Nice work fellas. Surprised no-one has gone for a steam-punk version, given all the fans around here ...

new site

Have you checked your host recently? I get an empty domain and a PKR advertisement.

IMI
11-02-2008, 01:40 AM
Well, I almost made it this time. Maybe next week. ;)

Opera glasses, from one of those reference sites. Took me about an hour and 15 minutes to model, much longer to surface and render.

I figured it needed some sort of scene to sit in, so I slapped together a background. Don't ask me what that thing is it's sitting on - I don't know - maybe a large clump of wax, but I thought it looked cool. ;)

This modeling went considerably easier and quicker, since I did as I was suggested last week, and copied/pasted points and polys to extrude, join, whatever, rather than doing all the pieces individually. Great advice that was! :thumbsup:

Kinda heavy on the polygons - I know it doesn't need anywhere near this many. One day I'll figure that part of it out...

parm
11-02-2008, 01:10 AM
Imi, those Opera glasses look very good. The brasswork gives them a very Victorian feel.

IMI
11-02-2008, 02:28 AM
Thank you, parm. :)

colkai
11-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Decided to do another object, pair of old glasses.
Took about 30 mins modelling, some of which was faffing about with the nose pad section. :p

Not overly thrilled with the surfacing, but even on a dual Xeon 2.8 this took 12 minutes to render. May play about later to see if I can sort it, did try dielectric for the glass, but couldn't get the look I was going for. Lot to learn for surfacing yet I guess :p

BlueApple
11-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Went over the limit on this one... it was quite a learning experience. 1 hr. 10 min. to model, with a good bit extra texturing. Proton's video on Quad Polygon Mapping (the Spiderman UV video) was very helpful in getting the little black Xs in the right spots. (The 3rd image is my inspiration from Wikipedia.)

Great entries everyone, especially colkai and IMI... your models are great and you've entered two pieces each! Well done.

TripD
11-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Really great work Colkai!

Is it just me or does the bridge of those specs look a tad bit uncomfortable?

Really nice work BlueApple. I can't believe women actually wore those things.

colkai
11-03-2008, 02:07 AM
Really great work Colkai!

Is it just me or does the bridge of those specs look a tad bit uncomfortable?

Ahhh, you never actually have the bridge on you though, the little pads keep it off your face. Unlike the first glasses which were had no pads or stems for and just a simple 'loop' for your nose. :)
Be quick to knock some of those up actually, may do that just for the heck of it. :p

IMI
11-03-2008, 03:40 AM
Thanks, BlueApple. :)

I decided to revisit the pocket watch idea, using a few things I learned along the way. Actually, I almost entirely re-did it, aside from re-using the number face and the little winder thing at the top.

I know it won't count because of that, but I did manage to do it in a little over 50 minutes, although I wimped out on the hands because I was running out of time.

Heh- it's a pocket watch and I was running out of time. Get it? Ahh.. never mind. :D

IMI
11-03-2008, 03:47 AM
Oh I might as well upload the object if anyone wants it.
If anyone checks it out, just ignore the strange and redundant surface naming.

I tend to use surfaces for selection purposes much of the time and usually consolidate them later on. I just didn't do it this time.

IMI
11-03-2008, 04:06 AM
Went over the limit on this one... it was quite a learning experience. 1 hr. 10 min. to model, with a good bit extra texturing. Proton's video on Quad Polygon Mapping (the Spiderman UV video) was very helpful in getting the little black Xs in the right spots. (The 3rd image is my inspiration from Wikipedia.)

That looks really good, BlueApple, great job!
Also, thanks for the tip on the video - I think I'll have to give that one another look.

colkai
11-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Ok, did a quick doofer at lunch, thus the noisy render as I cut quality to render in what time I had. :p

Iain
11-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Got some time today to do a telescope.

Modelling was well under an hour but I spent a lot more than that on texturing and lighting.
Render time was about 40 minutes in LW.

IMI
11-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Looks great, Iain, especially the surfacing. :thumbsup:

I'm curious though - the surface below the big end (at the right of the image) is in sharper focus than the eyepiece end, while the surface (leather?) it's sitting on is in sharper focus at the left and eyepiece end.
Which is how it should be, thinking about it, if it were a real photo.

How did you do that though? I mess with the focal length and it seems I get complete uniformity, or everything way too sharp or way too blurry. Close up, I have a real hard time getting that sort of a tight range.

colkai
11-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Render time was about 40 minutes in LW.

Now see, you're just trying to make me feel better about my rendering times. ;) :D
Nice work Iain. :thumbsup:

Iain
11-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Cheers guys. It was blurry reflections and DOF that slowed the render down.

IMI, I use the Proximity modifier in the Focal Distance envelope. Placing a null where you want the focus lets you get it 100% accurate.

IMI
11-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Cheers guys. It was blurry reflections and DOF that slowed the render down.

IMI, I use the Proximity modifier in the Focal Distance envelope. Placing a null where you want the focus lets you get it 100% accurate.

Wow, thank you! :thumbsup:
I've asked this before and I don't think anybody has ever mentioned that.

colkai
11-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Here's the object/scene for the glasses.
I've taken out the HDRI image from the ZIP to keep it's size down, any old image will do for reflection really. :)

Iain
11-03-2008, 01:42 PM
I've asked this before and I don't think anybody has ever mentioned that.

I posted this on another thread.............

To use Proximity for DOF control:

Add a Null. Position it exactly where you want the focus to be. You can reposition it whenever you need to.

Add the 'Proximity' modifier in the Camera's Focal Distance Envelope. Double click on it then select the null as Item and the camera as Target.

IMI
11-03-2008, 02:00 PM
I posted this on another thread.............

To use Proximity for DOF control:

Add a Null. Position it exactly where you want the focus to be. You can reposition it whenever you need to.

Add the 'Proximity' modifier in the Camera's Focal Distance Envelope. Double click on it then select the null as Item and the camera as Target.

Yes. I already found it and have been experimenting with it all day. Very cool.
Thanks again. :thumbsup:

JCG
11-04-2008, 07:26 AM
About 34 minutes into a dress but I didn't get up early enough and I have to go to work right away.
It's done with easyspline, which should be illegal because it's like modeling doping.

Iain
11-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Just for a laugh.

What Victorian Gent would be taken seriously without a bristling 'tache?

90 seconds modelling. Ten minutes messing with Saslite.

Korvar
11-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Classy :)

IMI
11-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Heh. Cool. :thumbsup:

TripD
11-04-2008, 04:24 PM
LoL! I just had a mental flash of Charlie Chaplin making those quirky facial expressions. Good'o Iaian.

TripD
11-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Yah,... I know his stache doesn't look quite like yours. :)

COBRASoft
11-04-2008, 05:23 PM
All nice models people.

I have an idea for the next challenge: calculators. This could be modern, ancient, mechanical, electronic, ...

What do you think?

TripD
11-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Sounds good to me. I have the perfect reference: A TI-35 that I bought in 1983. It still has the original battery in it.

Check out the screen in this pic.

geothefaust
11-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Awesome entries everyone, I love each one! :thumbsup:

So I assume I judge this one... :)

I'll have one in a few hours, still going over all the entries. It's going to be tough deciding...

IMI
11-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Yes, all the entries were really good. :thumbsup:

I didn't think I was going to be able to get into this one, but I was surprised.

geothefaust
11-06-2008, 12:57 AM
Great entries everyone! I just got home from work, and spent my commute trying to figure out which was the best one. Everyone's entries were great, I like each one quite a bit. A number of them went over the time limit though, which makes it even harder to choose...

That said, Colkai, you did amazing work with your jewelry. Excellent model, well done. :thumbsup: Congrats!

Alright, where's #13? :D

colkai
11-06-2008, 02:55 AM
Whoa! I won?
Have to sheepishly admit, I am rather proud of how it turned out, it's always cool when you find you can do things more complex and quicker than you think you can. It's great for building your self confidence and allows me to push more. :)

IMI
11-06-2008, 03:23 AM
Congratulations, colkai. :thumbsup:

parm
11-06-2008, 03:32 AM
Nice one colkai:thumbsup:

BlueApple
11-06-2008, 07:53 AM
Great work colkai! I definitley need to check out Rope Editor, because I can't imagine modeling your piece the "old-fashioned" way.

Iain
11-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Hey-win Nr 2 for Colkai! :thumbsup:

flakester
11-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Awesome work Colkai, well done! :thumbsup:

flakester.

Korvar
11-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Well done!

RollerJesus
11-06-2008, 08:11 AM