PDA

View Full Version : Mac PowerPC crashing - Memory problem?

heynewt
10-29-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm running the release vsn of 9.3 on OSX 10.4.1 on a DUal 2.5ghz G5 with 2Gig of DDR SDRAM

I've got a scene, created on a PC vsn of LW, with 1.2 million polys. I'm rendering at relatively small resolusion 640 X 360. It keeps crashing on render, about the time it finishes with the first frame. I've reduced my segment memory in LW all the way to 8mb, but even that doesn't help.

I'm thinking this machine needs more memory. Does anyone know how I can check if my crashes are due to a lack of memory? Does 2Gig on a dual 2.5 G5 seem like enough for a 1.2 million poly scene?

I'm a longtime LW user on PCs, but new to LW on Macs.

Robert N.

Chilton
10-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Hi,

If you join the (free) Open Beta, you can try this in 9.5.

Also, do you have a crash log?

-Chilton

heynewt
10-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks,

I'm a member of the open beta for PC. I went into my account registration and registered for an open beta license key for Mac several weeks ago. It said I would get an email with the key. I never got a response on that. Sent emails requesting a license key, called technical support requesting one. No one would help me, because it was... well, it was beta.

If you can help me get a beta license key that might help my problem as well. The scene was created in 9.5 but saved as a 9.2 version so I could read it on my Mac.

Robert

toby
10-31-2008, 12:48 AM
I doubt you just need more ram, unless you have a gig of textures. If you're using jpgs as texture maps, that *might* be the problem. You can do a quick test by removing all the maps from the scene and see if it renders (just don't save anything). If it renders, try converting your textures to .png.

Are you using any special effect plugins, hypervoxels etc. If you're rendering a lot of sprites it can overload your ram.

meshpig
10-31-2008, 03:02 AM
I'm running the release vsn of 9.3 on OSX 10.4.1 on a DUal 2.5ghz G5 with 2Gig of DDR SDRAM

I've got a scene, created on a PC vsn of LW, with 1.2 million polys. I'm rendering at relatively small resolusion 640 X 360. It keeps crashing on render, about the time it finishes with the first frame. I've reduced my segment memory in LW all the way to 8mb, but even that doesn't help.

I'm thinking this machine needs more memory. Does anyone know how I can check if my crashes are due to a lack of memory? Does 2Gig on a dual 2.5 G5 seem like enough for a 1.2 million poly scene?

I'm a longtime LW user on PCs, but new to LW on Macs.

Robert N.

R

2.5 gig is easily enough for 1.2 mil. If you run out of memory typically you'll get an error message "render out of memory" after the render has quit. No crash just the indication.

m

heynewt
10-31-2008, 06:58 AM
That's probably the issue. Although I have a couple of jpgs, that doesn't seem to be the issue. I have 18 HV emitters. Lots of HVs in this scene.

Are you using any special effect plugins, hypervoxels etc. If you're rendering a lot of sprites it can overload your ram.

toby
10-31-2008, 09:47 PM
*Btw the advice we give you should not preclude you trying 9.5beta or sending a crash log to Chilton.*

It still shouldn't crash though, did you try it with no textures?
Have you tried deleting the preference files, and try disconnecting the hub. Both those things can improve stability.