PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to make this?

virtualcomposer
10-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Anyone know how to make a realistic sky in LW? I have a scene I'm working on in-which I have an ocean and I need a backdrop along with reflection of light and the ship I'm flying over it. Now the ship reflection and lights are no problem but I'm having difficulty with the sky. I want it to be realistic looking. I've tried a "sky dome" with a picture attached to it, but it didn't work well. I was thinking I could use the clouds I use for making an earth since they are high def. I also thought about a large plain with a picture attached to it but it didn't work out well and hard to get the right lighting. What is the best way to do this with an ocean scene?

Andrew March
10-28-2008, 04:25 PM
There are several ways to acheive the effect you're looking for, using skydomes does work but getting the lighting right takes work, using volume clouds will work but your render times will be horrific, also using a plane with an image map will work but again you'll have to work on the lighting.

You can also use the textured environment to create a nice gradient backdrop and use volumetric lights to create fog or clouds.

I would suggest you show us what you have so far both a test render and screencaps of your lighting setup.

zapper1998
10-28-2008, 04:28 PM
ozone 3
works pretty good, and its fast..

Iain
10-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Compositing a photo or footage of a real sky is the most realistic method I've tried.

Hopper
10-28-2008, 05:35 PM
In the very few sky domes I've done, I have learned that if you try to use lower res images, it really doesn't work well at all. However, hi-res images (9000x2250 panoramic) are excellent and produce clear crisp results if lit properly.

A friend of mine gave me his Marlin Studios "Panoramica Land & Sky" CD set and they are very nice. The CD's even come with .lwo example files with the dome laready textured properly, etc...

JeffrySG
10-29-2008, 05:42 AM
http://www.cgtextures.com/ has a new 'Skies 360' category. They are all free and perfect for skydomes. If you register (free) you can even see them in a flash preview to see how they look as a dome.

They have over 200 different skies. :D
Some of them are up to 15000px wide.

3DGFXStudios
10-29-2008, 07:18 AM
You can use sprites to make nice clouds.......renders fast to. Looks cool even when you fly through them.

m0184you
10-29-2008, 08:53 AM
^ I will try that ... in mean time do you have some examples flying through ... would be nice to see.