PDA

View Full Version : Demoreel 2008

pyo
10-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Hi
I've just finished my new reel (well.. it's my first but also fairly new :) ) and I'm curious of Your opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v_eD2cSvDY

Everything done in Lightwave, except character animation (this was done in maya).

Enjoy watching.

eagleeyed
10-28-2008, 08:45 AM
I actually really like how you have put this to music, one of the few demo reels I have seen where I have liked the music choice, mainly because the music matches with the content.

I really liked a fair few parts of your work, however I did notice some parts while still good seemed to bring down the quality. I do not mean to sound harsh, just trying to give my opinion.

Before I get to that part though, I noticed almost all models clearly had a very visible amount of segmentation showing, especially the one with the cell like balls growing with each other at 1:23. If that segmentation had not been there I would not seen a fault with it at all.

I take into account you do not list modeling as one of your main points and is not the intention of the demo reel, so I think many may bypass that fact. Apart from that issue, the animation on most was brilliant.

The dog and cat scene looked brilliant, the scene was very well lit and designed in my opinion. The background was extremely interesting.

The one thing I would suggest looking at which I feel did personally bring down the quality of the demo reel were the fire effects, especially the ones at 1:36 and 2:20.

2:20: When the building crumble they break unrealistically, and do not react with anything else breaking around them, and fall into the smoke without disturbing it.

This demo reel does seem a bit longer than normal (remember people saying typically no longer than 2 minutes).

Last suggestion, I would not put the commando breaking neck animation at the front, as you definitely have a lot stronger content later in the video. Remember the first few seconds of the demo reel can be incredibly vital. The reason I recommend this is that the fall of the victim seems slightly unrealistic as the body just drops to the ground, and freezes the second it hits, the limbs do not react at all.
I think a scene like the dog and cat would probably be a best thing to open up on or something along those lines as that scene is brilliantly done.

Anyway, hope this has helped you. This is a very good demo reel and a lot of the clips show off your talents. Keep up the great work.

DiedonD
10-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Good work. Nicely done.

I liked the characters, they seem rather great in general. Animation is quite liquid!

But in the airplane area, it was a bit too dark, and when the engine burns, it somehow doesnt burns quite well by me. Too CG look to it. Probably if you could add more vacums on those flames a bit more, to make it less perfect, would move the subject on the more photorealistic realm.

When the A-Bomb explodes on that city, the four remaining pillars that fall on the dust below, they disapear a bit too CG like to me. Probably because the dust didnt gave way to the shear size of those pillars that were falling down. And they are great in size! Big enough to fall well after the rest gets overcomed by dust!

And the A-Bomb in the Global Scale, in the US, it kinda seemed like it had to do with effects. Not the bomb itself, but the clouds moving away and such. They moved as If using AEs effects. Too uniformed like.

Your real made me respond and take notice things in that a way for me.

pyo
10-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Thanks for Your comments.
eagleeyed: what You said about models is true because they're all low-poly game models, and all character animations are from games, except dog part. And cell balls... they could be more complex, no excuse to me.
And about cat/dog part, what I've done was only dog's animation and the footage is a realtime render from playstation3 as this was part of project made for that hardware.

JeffrySG
10-28-2008, 12:23 PM
I really liked the presentation, and the editing / music. :thumbsup: I thought it was a little rushed to have the shot breakdown list at the end like that. Would it be better to list what you did as each shot is going on? If someone doesn't watch the whole thing (very possible) they may not understand what you did on each part. If I was to take out one part it would be the nuke explosion where the buildings blow up (unless that was an in-game animation).

Great work! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

It would be nice to see it on a higher quality site, such as Vimeo or something similar in addition to the YT video. I see that you have the HQ version on YT though.

pyo
10-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Here's Vimeo link
http://www.vimeo.com/2092623

You can also download original avi version (800x600 xvid).

Paul Goodrich
10-28-2008, 01:59 PM
What did you use to move the animations from Maya into Lightwave? I'm asking because I have a project that we're thinking about doing that way but don't know/not sure what's the best way to do that. thanks.

Paul Goodrich

JeffrySG
10-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Here's Vimeo link
http://www.vimeo.com/2092623

You can also download original avi version (800x600 xvid).

I'm logged into Vimeo but it's coming up as a private video, just fyi.

pyo
10-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Paul Goodrich: To move animations from maya to LW I'm using Point Oven. There's also free set of scripts for maya and LW and they should do it the same way PO do but I didn't have time to check if it realy works. You can get it here:
http://graph-ix.net/wiki/Projects:Maya2Lw_Download
and Point Oven here:
http://www.ef9.com/ef9/PO.htm

JeffrySG: My bad, first upload to vimeo so I didn't know I have to unlock it. Should work fine now.