PDA

View Full Version : Render-Q crashing lightwave (mac)

larkis
10-28-2008, 05:51 AM
Has anyone experienced a problem with lightwave crashing when set up to to render multiple scenes from multiple content directories ? It's fine rendering multiple scenes from one content directory, but as soon as it goes to a scene that belongs to another content directory lightwave crashes.

Auto Detect for content directories is checked in the prefs so it should know that it needs to switch. Anyone else having this issue ? I tried it on two computers and the problem exists on both.

raw-m
10-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Hello Larkis

yes, I'm having the same issue (a real pain when leaving to render overnight). Can't pin point at what point exactly it happens but the first scene renders fine and then a crash occurs. Can't be sure at the exact point it happens - unloading the current scene or loading the second scene, but it certainly goes down.

I'm thinking that setting up Screamernet on os x/Leopard might help but finding a definitive guide to setting it up, without using 3rd party apps/plugs (ie, extra money!), difficult to find, especially with additional nodes (make those multiprocessors work for a living!).

ghostlight
10-28-2008, 01:07 PM
I just had this problem last night. Same content directory, the first scene rendered fine, but apparently crashed before rendering a frame of the next scene.

Can we report this as a bug?

larkis
10-28-2008, 02:56 PM
I just had this problem last night. Same content directory, the first scene rendered fine, but apparently crashed before rendering a frame of the next scene.

Can we report this as a bug?

Not sure where. I'm hoping the final release will have this fixed. I'm hoping it will not be like the audio or hub issue that the previous versions had, where everyone at newtek knows it's broken but they release the software anyway.

larkis
10-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Hello Larkis

yes, I'm having the same issue (a real pain when leaving to render overnight). Can't pin point at what point exactly it happens but the first scene renders fine and then a crash occurs. Can't be sure at the exact point it happens - unloading the current scene or loading the second scene, but it certainly goes down.

I'm thinking that setting up Screamernet on os x/Leopard might help but finding a definitive guide to setting it up, without using 3rd party apps/plugs (ie, extra money!), difficult to find, especially with additional nodes (make those multiprocessors work for a living!).

How may computers are you trying to use it with ? I have it set up across dual 8 cores and it was easy to set up without any 3rd party apps. All you need to know is the syntax of the commands and what screamer net expects to find.
I don't have time at the moment because deadlines are pressing, but i can write up a simple guide on how to set it up for basic rendering across multiple macs in the coming weeks.

Scazzino
10-28-2008, 03:03 PM

This information should have everything you need (and more) to set up ScreamerNet on the Mac (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/welcome.html). It includes setting everything up using only the built-in render controller, as well as using a third party controller for extra features... You may also use the free lite version of DLI_SNUB-Launcher (http://dreamlight.com/webshop/utilities/snublauncher.html) to make configuring and launching the render nodes more Mac friendly... as simple as drag and drop...

And yes, if you are getting crashes with the new built-in render Q, you should send in bug reports.

:beerchug:

raw-m
10-29-2008, 04:37 AM
Hi Scazzino - can't get your link to work, can you re-post? Ta.

raw-m
10-29-2008, 04:58 AM
Working now! Great resource, thank you.