PDA

View Full Version : Cinefex or HDRI3D magazine?

virtualcomposer
10-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Just wondering what you recommend. I'm caught between two magazines. I love special effects and how 3D animation is applied along with green screening and techniques. On the other hand, I love 3D (obviously) and techniques especially what LW is involved in. My delima is that I can only get one magazine subscription. What do you think would be best? I know both are excellent mags and I'm really torn. What is your opinion on these mags?

Dexter2999
10-27-2008, 10:50 PM
I get more entertainment value from Cinefex. HRI3D is FAR FAR more useful.
I mean Cinefex is nice for some articles in generalities. It also gives a vague overview of some industry trends in workflow and apps. Bur HDRI has some extremely invaluable articles. The series on compositing multipass renders and the zbrush series were worth the subscription price alone.

mikala
10-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Ditto on Dexter2999's comments.

virtualcomposer
10-27-2008, 11:11 PM
Hmmmm, sounds like HDRI is the mag of choice. I love to learn and research how to better myself in animation & special effects so it sounds like HDRI will be a mag I'll read cover to cover (at least 5 times:):))

SplineGod
10-28-2008, 12:12 AM
I like cinefx better. HDRI IMO has too much fluff. In terms of computer mags I far prefer 3DW magazine. Ive always gotten cinefx because of the very informative articles. I never did get why a 3D magazine would be named after a 2d image format....sorta like calling a 3d magazine jpeg3d....?

Dexter2999
10-28-2008, 12:16 AM
I like cinefx better. HDRI IMO has too much fluff. In terms of computer mags I far prefer 3DW magazine. Ive always gotten cinefx because of the very informative articles. I never did get why a 3D magazine would be named after a 2d image format....sorta like calling a 3d magazine jpeg3d....?

LOL, yeah, but Larry you already know how to do all of the stuff in the articles in HDRI.

SplineGod
10-28-2008, 12:31 AM
Maybe... I stopped reading it a long time ago. When it was a LW only magazine the articles and tutorials were always extremely basic or just fluff. Now that it covers more 3d apps its just not very good at it. Personally I want information that might exceed my abilities at the moment. It gives me something to strive for.

I think 3DW is a much better magazine in terms of overall coverage of various 3d apps. The magazine is much higher quality in several ways.
Cinefx Ive always loved. The articles on how various effects were done for movies has always inspired me to think about how to produce similar effects in LW. :)

virtualcomposer
10-28-2008, 12:48 AM
So SplineGod, do you think 3DW is a better mag in tutorials or inspiration? I love the inspiration I get from a good mag. I have allot of tutorials already. What do you think?

virtualcomposer
10-28-2008, 12:49 AM
what's the 3DW website?

Dexter2999
10-28-2008, 01:08 AM
http://www.3dworldmag.com/
I' say go sit down in the coffee shop of your nearest Barnes & Noble or Borders and thumb through each before signing up for a subscription.

I liked HDRI because it was more LW oriented but that has been shifting this past year. Matter of fact there is a thread about that now. http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87754&highlight=HDRI

Some don't like that, then again some like Larry might.

akademus
10-28-2008, 01:11 AM
Both are very good magazines. Lots of useful info on industry in Cinefex and some good articles in HDRI. 3DWorld has too wide variety and there were cases of inaccurate information I found there and it is out too often I just can't get a hang on all of them, so I use to just go through them in Borders and if I find something interesting than I would buy it.

May I also recommend 3DCreativeMag. A lot of information for couple of bucks if you don't mind reading from your screen.

Cheers

virtualcomposer
10-28-2008, 01:50 AM
I think I'm leaning towards Cinefex. I have so many tutorials now, I can't begin to go through them all. I love to be entertained as well and feel like, since I'm apart of the special effects world, that maybe it is the best all around choice. Cinefex has a ton of info on green/blue screening along with animations. May not be all of LW but on the other hand, seems to make me excited to try something new and do more research. It sounds like everyone here loves Cinefex regardless of their focus.

SplineGod
10-28-2008, 02:15 AM
Thats what I like about cinefx. I see how various fx were made in movies and it gets me to thinking about how to reproduce them with LW, on a limited budget or with a small team.
I think the tutorials in HDRI are great if you just want the most basic of information. Very little of what Ive seen in there IMO is really that useful for production. Like I said, I want information that challenges me. Its like buying a video game and beating it in an hour. 3DW does have some interesting tutorials using other apps. I like to look at those and see how I would do the same thing in LW. I also think that many of the tutorials written in 3DW are done by people with a bit more production experience.
A long time ago I also wrote some articles are HDRI before it was called HDRI and also for 3DW. 3DW paid about 7x what Keyframe did. The reason I say that is because I think a magazine that pays that much is obviously doing well and is going to attract a more professional type of person to do articles. I think its important, that if youre going to pay for information, pay for something thats a little or alot beyond what you might be able to do now. You can go back to it over and over and hone your skills. :)

virtualcomposer
10-28-2008, 02:18 AM
Thats what I like about cinefx. I see how various fx were made in movies and it gets me to thinking about how to reproduce them with LW, on a limited budget or with a small team.
I think the tutorials in HDRI are great if you just want the most basic of information. Very little of what Ive seen in there IMO is really that useful for production. Like I said, I want information that challenges me. Its like buying a video game and beating it in an hour. 3DW does have some interesting tutorials using other apps. I like to look at those and see how I would do the same thing in LW. I also think that many of the tutorials written in 3DW are done by people with a bit more production experience.
A long time ago I also wrote some articles are HDRI before it was called HDRI and also for 3DW. 3DW paid about 7x what Keyframe did. The reason I say that is because I think a magazine that pays that much is obviously doing well and is going to attract a more professional type of person to do articles. I think its important, that if youre going to pay for information, pay for something thats a little or alot beyond what you might be able to do now. You can go back to it over and over and hone your skills. :)

Yes, I believe the same thing. I love to be challenged and think for days or weeks pondering about how I could do something similar with what I got...Vue and LW. Allot can be done. Well, my wife will love it to since Cinefex is cheaper per year. Now she can buy those shoes she wanted. When she's happy, I'm happy (and relieved) LOL

SplineGod
10-28-2008, 02:24 AM
See? Theres always a win win in there. :)
I keep my back issues of cinefx well protected. Its nice to always refer back to them. :)

virtualcomposer
10-28-2008, 02:27 AM
Colour pictures, special effects, 3D graphics and animations...how much better can a magazine get? My second choice would be a helicopter mag of the Bell series helicopters but that's another thread. LOL

zardoz
10-28-2008, 03:39 AM
well I buy them both. Cinefx it's like the National Geographic of specialFx...
About HDRI3D...well I buy it because it's the only mag that still has stuff about LW, but like splinegod said it has a lot of space to improve...a lot!
I don't buy 3dworld because one of my friends buys it.

SplineGod
10-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Thats a good way of putting it. :)
Also 3DW tends to have some pretty cool stuff on the CD included with it.