PDA

View Full Version : I am thinking of getting a new computer, need help

Skinner3D
10-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Yea the title pretty much says it all.

What are the biggest contibutors to Lightwave system performance, and in those fields what am I looking for?

I have a model that I am working on that I used a ton of CC Subpatching on. Lightwave Layout gave me the error "Not enough memory to load object" (I did finally get to change the Subpatching type after several crashes)

What memory is it talking about?

Currently using
AMD Athlon XP 3000+, 2.17Ghz
3Gb RAM (184 pin something or other)
Geforce FX 5500
Windows XP Home

SplineGod
10-28-2008, 12:15 AM
Use very low subpatch levels when using CC subds.

JonW
10-28-2008, 12:32 AM
This link gives some Lightwave bench marks.
If you want to put together a cheap computer, using a Q6600 is really good value, important especially these days, and performs really well.

http://3dspeedmachine.com/?page=3

coremi
10-28-2008, 12:56 AM
wait for Core i7, nehalem platform, it will rock big time. in january it will the right price also.

akademus
10-28-2008, 01:48 AM
This link gives some Lightwave bench marks.
If you want to put together a cheap computer, using a Q6600 is really good value, important especially these days, and performs really well.

http://3dspeedmachine.com/?page=3

Hey, thanks for the link. I was looking for something to test drive my new gadgets :D I'll post some results soon.

Skinner: Yes, I think 6600 would be the way to go if I were in your position. Just remember more cores means more memory per core, so if you wan't to go Quad you'll probably need 8 Gigs of ram. Best of luck

JCG
10-28-2008, 04:41 AM
wait for Core i7, nehalem platform, it will rock big time. in january it will the right price also.Nehalem does look nice for rendering but it would require DDR3 memory in triplets. The Q6600's memory is so much cheaper now. In the Kingston page, you can get 8 Gigs of DDR2-800 for $84 with free shipping and a free flash drive iirc. The motherboards that support it have also fallen in price. So, if budget is an issue, the q6600 is still a good choice.

And in either case you'd have to buy a new video card also, because I can't think of a motherboard that would support a quad core of any type and an AGP video card. Maybe an Asrock, but I'm not sure even they still offer one.

Skinner3D
10-28-2008, 12:05 PM
I looked at the benchmark scene, and I am scared to even try rendering it on this computer :D I think I will try some night here when I am not using the machine, and hope it doesn't take a bazillion hours.

JonW: The Q6660 is an Intel chip, not that I care, but is there any specific reason why you went with that and not Amd?

akademus: I hadn't even thought about needing extra ram for multiple cores, is 2Gb a core a good minimum?

akademus
10-28-2008, 12:31 PM
I looked at the benchmark scene, and I am scared to even try rendering it on this computer :D I think I will try some night here when I am not using the machine, and hope it doesn't take a bazillion hours.

JonW: The Q6660 is an Intel chip, not that I care, but is there any specific reason why you went with that and not Amd?

akademus: I hadn't even thought about needing extra ram for multiple cores, is 2Gb a core a good minimum?

Yes. Think of it as a separate processor. 2GB per core is more than ok, you'll have no troubles with a rig like that. It makes a good balanced computer. I was testing a new beast in studio today(8 core Xeon) who has only 8 gigs (so, 1 Gig per core) and it shows significant slowdowns due to lack of memory. At least it did in AfterEffects rendering. I'll have to try it in LW.

Btw. I posted some benchmark results for that scene. It runs smoothly on my new laptop, I'm happy to say.

cheers mate

JonW
10-28-2008, 06:25 PM
I had a AMD 1800+ MP 2.5gb ram & it was a great computer in its day, it also lived too long before it died. It is worthwhile posting a render time for your computer, the purpose of this web site is not to see who has the fastest, but to help other upgrading, & ultimately helping yourself get the shortest render time for your budget. Whether its AMD or Intel it doesnít matter

Rendering is about having as much number crunching as you can afford. This is why I bought custom built V8s, 5335 & the latest box 5450. They are cheap (relatively speaking) about half the price & the same speed as the big names boxes.

I think a lot of people would agree that if you are on a budget a Q6600 will give you a lot of number crunching for your money. If you have customers that just canít wait you can put together cheap V8s these days. and have 8 threads working on an image.

Just make sure you have enough ram, you should have a feel for how much ram you use for your typical work using WTM. Plus an overhead, you do not want the render running out of ram or your render times will go through the roof.

You should be able to afford 8gb ram these days, you will need XP64 or Vista 64.
Spend as much money as you can on CPU/s, everything else is secondary.

My typical architectural scenes for an A3 300dpi render use about 3 to 5 gb of ram according to WTM.

Akademus, your V8 should be rendering in about 2m 18 sec with a pair of 5440 CPUs, have you got lightwave set to 8 threads, this scene uses very little ram. My old 5335 (2ghz) does this in 3m 24 sec. The 54xx CPUs are 5 to 6 % faster than 53xx CPUs. Also make sure all the other crap is turned off. (eg turn off virus software while doing final renders if they go for hours as they sometimes hog too much CPU resources)

Skinner3D
10-29-2008, 01:44 PM
:o Yea I went and did the benchmark test, 48m32s was the final time.

Definately time to get new computer. At this point though I don't know whether to upgrade the exisiting setup (and have to spend massive amout of time reloading everything) or just get a new tower and KVM the two together.

Oh well, I am off to do the benchmark on my laptop.

Skinner3D
10-29-2008, 02:08 PM
8/ Laptop rendered it in 15m46s.

I put the benchmark on the site, but the specs are

Intel T2050 Core Duo @ 1.6 Gz
1 Gb of RAM
Windows XP Media Center

Twisted_Pixel
10-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks, for the benchmark link.
To be somewhat helpful to others, I've added my time also.

Makes me wish I could afford the pc upgrade I've been wanting for a while now.