PDA

View Full Version : Mesh to please?

Talc
10-27-2008, 07:02 PM
I recently found myself tweaking a mesh when i didn't have the time to make it more apealing. I should have been getting on with the job & meeting my deadline.

Every time i model i think, "what would the community say about this?" when what i should be thinking is, "does it do the job"

I have work riddled with problems, the esthetic in me says "make it perfect" whilst the bread winner says "Sod it, get a move on!"

Who do we please, ourselves the customer or the community?

jameswillmott
10-27-2008, 07:35 PM
The client comes first if they are paying you, do whatever you need to to deliver a good job on time and on budget. Save tweaking to make it 'perfect' for when there are no deadlines ie. self promotional work or if you're doing it for a hobby.

SplineGod
10-28-2008, 12:35 AM
You find that sweet spot where you do the best job for a client given the constraints imposed by the project :)

Verlon
10-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Happy client pays money.

Money buys food and pays rent.

If you can trade a 'perfect mesh' for food and rent, you have a decision to make. :)

Besides, my idea of perfect and yours will probably not be the same anyway.

That said, you probably want it good enough to get you invited back for more work, so don't slack too much.

akademus
10-28-2008, 01:41 AM
Do it as best you can with time and money given. I often "overwork" things to please my self and make me happier with the project more than client actually is. That way you make both sides happy!

And there were situations where client (or employer) recognized the efforts made thus resulting in more and better payed work.

Its been a long time I did artwork just to please community. If I find the piece good enough (and if I'm aloud to publish if it's commercial work) I'll share it with the community.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Iain
10-28-2008, 03:22 AM
I did an interior last week and it was a bland ugly space with bad materials and no windows. The only items in the scene were cheap chairs (hundreds of them!)

The old saying you can't polish a turd came to mind but I did the best I could and handed over something I really didn't like.
It won't go in my portfolio and it won't appear here but the client was happy so I should have just left it there but I still keep thinking about it!

I'm glad I have that ethic but I try not to let it get in the way of meeting deadlines and, ultimately, making a living.

biliousfrog
10-29-2008, 12:06 PM
If I'm ever likely to return to the same model I'll put more effort into it such as something I can use in the library or if it's part of a clients branding...otherwise, I'll concentrate on the things that will wow them rather than wow me.