PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Symbol in CG Designer?

JEFFilm
10-27-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm using VT5 and I'm in the CG Designer.

How do I make a copyright symbol appear?

When I do control, alt and hit C nothing happens.

When I hold Alt, and type 0169 on the number key pad a select file requester pop up screen happens.

But no copyright symbol :confused:

gymcoach
10-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Do it in word and they copy and paste. That is what we have to do for accents on names. Then I save a CG file named accent and copy and paste from there

JEFFilm
10-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks!

gymcoach
10-28-2008, 02:09 AM
your welcome

jcupp
10-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Hold down the Alt Key and type 0169 in the numeric key pad => ©

SBowie
10-29-2008, 12:56 PM
When I hold Alt, and type 0169 on the number key pad a select file requester pop up screen happens.When this happens, press Num Lock on the keyboard, then try again (Alt + Ins is the shortcut for "Add Files").

Quiet1onTheSet
10-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Do it in word and they copy and paste. That is what we have to do for accents on names. Then I save a CG file named accent and copy and paste from thereGo into MS Word? Hmm. Sounds like a lot of unnecessary work.

You've actually been going into Word® ?

Hmmm. Perhaps the approach I've been using for quite some time is no faster.

(I'm a spoiled brat who misses the utter ease (and stability) involved in employing special characters and symbols in the venerable Amiga-based VideoToaster 3.0hhhhh! from years gone by! Oh how I miss *that* CG!!)

Over the years since then, I've been simply using Windows' Character Map, which is under System Tools, in the Accessories Folder (accessible via the START Menu).

Preliminaries would be to
1. go to Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Character Map

2. Drag a shortcut to Character Map onto your PC desktop's upper right-hand corner, perhaps -- and *keep* it there for ease of access in the future.

3. Have VT PREFERENCES set up so that there's no VT Desktop is on the last monitor (I'm using 2 LCD panels, so that means I've selected "VT Desktop on Monitor 1 only" in VT Preferences.

4. Have the modules that are on the right-most computer display monitor set up to allow the "Character Map" to be visible, even when you're in VT's CG Designer.

~~~
Once you've got things set up accordingly (or in some similar fashion), here's how you might proceed with the use of special characters in CG Designer:

1. Open the Character Map icon I've conveniently placed on the Windows Desktop
2. Select the FONT style I wish to use (if that FONT style doesn't support the special character I'm looking for, then I simply look under another FONT type until I find what I want, in a "style" that would look acceptable).
3. Select the specific symbol you want, by clicking it, and hitting the SELECT gadget at the bottom of the Character Map window.
4. Copy it to the Windows Clipboard (or take note of the keyboard short-cut in the lower-right of said Character Map window.
5. Either "PASTE" it where you want, in the CG (or employ the keyboard shortcut you just memorized, hoping it'll work!)

Once the preliminaries are set up then -- what's in violet is the process I've been using ... until recently. Why?

Because, on our most recent edit project (in SpeedEDIT Stand-alone, however), I discovered that NewTek has added a special panel, for pasting into the CG, new characters and symbols. (I'm supposing that you can actually *save* special characters in the supplied "grid" therein, but haven't read up on it in the manual, just yet.

I'm willing to bet that this arrangement is also in SpeedEDIT-VT. Admittedly, I only used it in a very limited way, as I didn't read up on it, and I personally haven't found its arrangement especially intuitive -- but it may well be just me.

Nevertheless, I'm encouraged that there seems to be some mechanism for easily being able to use characters in future projects, once you've saved them in that interface --unless I'm wrong on that.

Now, on to reading the rest of this thread, to see what Steve Bowie, and others have served up, as workable (and much easier) solutions to character use in CG Designer

Quiet1onTheSet
10-29-2008, 02:08 PM
(I'm a spoiled brat who misses the utter ease (and stability) involved in employing special characters and symbols in the venerable Amiga-based VideoToaster 3.0hhhhh! from years gone by! Oh how I miss *that* CG!!)

But in Windows, I've often gone to Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Character Map
I prefer to save the Character Map icon on the Windows Desktop, in the upper-right, where I can easily get to it, while inside VT or SpeedEDIT.

1. Select a Font style
2. Select a special character (if you can't find it under the Font Style you initially wanted, then look for that character under another Font, which looks acceptable to you
3. Copy that selection into the clipboard [CTRL+C or use the gadget in the Character Map window's lower portion] Better still, memorize the keyboard shortcut for that particular special character so you can enter it in the app that you want to use it in (i.e., CG Designer).
4. Paste that selection in CG designer (if you chose not to use the keyboard shortcut option)

Quiet1onTheSet
10-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Do it in word and they copy and paste. That is what we have to do for accents on names. Then I save a CG file named accent and copy and paste from thereGo into MS Word? Hmm. Sounds like a lot of unnecessary work.

You've actually been going into Word® ?

Hmmm. Perhaps the approach I've been using for quite some time is no faster.

Over the years since then, I've been simply using Windows' Character Map, which is under System Tools, in the Accessories Folder (accessible via the START Menu).

Preliminaries would be to
1. go to Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Character Map

2. Drag a shortcut to Character Map onto your PC desktop's upper right-hand corner, perhaps -- and *keep* it there for ease of access in the future.

3. Have VT PREFERENCES set up so that there's no VT Desktop is on the last monitor (I'm using 2 LCD panels, so that means I've selected "VT Desktop on Monitor 1 only" in VT Preferences.

4. Have the modules that are on the right-most computer display monitor set up to allow the "Character Map" to be visible, even when you're in VT's CG Designer.

~~~
Once you've got things set up accordingly (or in some similar fashion), here's how you might proceed with the use of special characters in CG Designer:

1. Open the Character Map icon I've conveniently placed on the Windows Desktop
2. Select the FONT style I wish to use (if that FONT style doesn't support the special character I'm looking for, then I simply look under another FONT type until I find what I want, in a "style" that would look acceptable).
3. Select the specific symbol you want, by clicking it, and hitting the SELECT gadget at the bottom of the Character Map window.
4. Copy it to the Windows Clipboard (or take note of the keyboard short-cut in the lower-right of said Character Map window.
5. Either "PASTE" it where you want, in the CG (or employ the keyboard shortcut you just memorized, hoping it'll work!)

Once the preliminaries are set up then -- what's in violet is the process I've been using ... until recently. Why?

Because, on our most recent edit project (in SpeedEDIT Stand-alone, however), I discovered that NewTek has added a special panel, for pasting into the CG, new characters and symbols. (I'm supposing that you can actually *save* special characters in the supplied "grid" therein, but haven't read up on it in the manual, just yet.

I'm willing to bet that this arrangement is also in SpeedEDIT-VT. Admittedly, I only used it in a very limited way, as I didn't read up on it, and I personally haven't found its arrangement especially intuitive -- but it may well be just me.

Nevertheless, I'm encouraged that there seems to be some mechanism for easily being able to use characters in future projects, once you've saved them in that interface --unless I'm wrong on that.

Now, on to reading the rest of this thread, to see what Steve Bowie, and others have served up, as workable (and much easier) solutions to character use in CG Designer

SBowie
10-29-2008, 03:25 PM
I use the Windows character map a lot too, but try to remember the keyboard equivalent for common items (like ALT+0233 for the "é" in José). ;)