PDA

View Full Version : How do I fix this Reflection problem?

Algae998
10-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Hey all,
Ive been working with the basics of texturing so I made this model box of a plastic model kit. My goal was to composite this into the image as photorealistically as possible.
I made my shadow catcher (a 3D plane) so the shadows and reflections from the box have something to show up on. I set the 3d plane up with front projection of my background image (blending mode set to normal).
As you can kind of see from the render I uploaded, the 3d plane is reflecting and catching the shadows of the box nicely, but it is also reflecting the background image.
Ive messed with different reflection percentages, blending mode options and alpha channel settings but I still cant get it to look right.
My head hurts from running into the same dead-ends on this issue.

Any tips or ideas as to how to make it so that only the reflection and shadow from the model box are visible on the 3d plane? Haha, wheres the magic button?!?? :D

Tobian
10-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Why not just set the reflection options for the 'shadow catcher' to 'raytracing+ spherical map' - and leave the map blank. That way it will reflect the box, but not the background?

Algae998
10-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks Tobian, I didnt know about that haha, it did the trick tho.
I did find another way to do it about an hour or so after I posted the question, I just turned Image World off and it did pretty much that same thing as what you suggested. Sweet, now I know two methods!
Thanks for the help!

Tobian
10-28-2008, 04:44 PM
NP :) That way is handy as it's 'per surface' rather than a global switch. Something you need that kind of flexibility! Glad you got it working.