PDA

View Full Version : Scenery Software prog

Bart
10-27-2008, 12:57 AM
I am looking for a software scenery programme e.g. World builder, Vue 6.5 to go with lightwave 9. Can anyone assist by advising what programme they feel is the best to use with LW 9.

virtualcomposer
10-27-2008, 02:08 AM
Even though Vue is riddled with issues and instability, it's probably the best software for scenery. If you've got the computer power, Vue is probably your answer.

dennis1234
10-27-2008, 08:02 AM
Worldbuilder is very good as well, I have Vue 6 inf and Worldbuilder 3.x. I use Vue more however WB has a good feature set in some ways even more powerful then Vue eg. objects that can float down streams, rain/snow waves/wakes layered waves it goes on and on and on.

virtualcomposer
10-27-2008, 08:28 AM
what does World Builder cost?

dennis1234
10-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Current price is 699.00 but they are getting ready to sell a download version for 499.00 new price structure this is the pro version with LW plugins.

http://www.digi-element.com/wb/index.htm

virtualcomposer
10-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Is it as good as Vue as for the quality?

dennis1234
10-29-2008, 08:18 AM
I'm not really sure where they are at, but they do make some nice software as for the quality take a look at thier gallery this will give you a better idea if its right for you.

also try out the demo.

I like Vue and use Vue alot but the features that are in Vue today minus the clouds have been in WB for years and Vue still need to catch up to get close to the feature set in WB.

Iain
10-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Terragen 2 is a stunning piece of kit for scenery generation and rendering.
Again, development is slow to non existent and the rendering is a match but the results are incredible.

Even Terragen is capable of amazing photorealism.

Sarford
10-30-2008, 09:23 AM
You could also take a look at World Machine. It doesn't have vegetation (yet?), but its still being developed and has a nice nodal interface to make your fractal landscapes.

It is also not as pricey as the others.

http://www.world-machine.com/

ben martin
10-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Vue Xstream 6.
Fully Lightwave integrated.
Actually, ILM used it to matepaint sceneries to the last Indy and Caribbean Pirates movies beside other houses.

Vue xStream and you cant' fail!

dennis1234
10-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Try the demo's

MachineClaw
10-30-2008, 02:51 PM
World Builder 3.5 pro was on 3d world magazine last year I think - full free.

I bought WB 3.0 and it sucked ***, was borked etc. 3.5 was supposed to fix things but it was a paid upgrade and I wasn't going there. World Builder is programed by 2 people if I remember right 4 total in the company - that may have changed.

I went with Vue and have Vue 4, 5 and got Vue 5 Infinate with my lightwave upgrade. Vue there are more people using and you can find help, hardly anybody uses World Builder anymore other than die hards that have stuck with it.

Sarford
10-30-2008, 05:25 PM
I also was looking for a landscape generator for a little animation I'm making.
I've looked at all the ones mentioned above and GeoControl looks very promising.
Thanks for that link Veehoy! Trouble is that you can't export anything yet.

So I fired up Vue again (third time since I got it I think). I generated some fractal landscape and gave it a material. Then I exported it, it even generates its own difuse and bump maps (at the resolution you want).
After loading it in XSI and making a fast render I must say I apreciate Vue a lot more :D Its landscape manipulation tools are very basic, (compared to GeoControl) but for medium to far range, it is certainly usable.

dennis1234
10-31-2008, 08:44 AM
You could also try out Bryce 5.5 its free on download.com

Sarford
10-31-2008, 10:25 AM
If you look under GeoControl 1 you will find import/export formats.
Geo Control can export: r32 (Worldmachine standard format), 16 bit raw , ter (Terragen format), PGM (16bit), TGA (16 bit high resolution terrains), bmp (8bit greyscale), OBJ files and Normal Maps.

True, but its disabled for the pre-release version of GeoControl 2, which is the only one available of version 2. It WILL be enabled in the final version but there is no guarentee when that will be released, could be days could be months.

ben martin
10-31-2008, 10:30 AM
I apreciate Vue a lot more :D Its landscape manipulation tools are very basic, (compared to GeoControl) but for medium to far range, it is certainly usable.

Like Veehoy pointed, you can use GeoControl to generate an altitude map, grayscale map or even export a mesh as OBJ and import any of them to Vue.
The map images are easy to load inside Vue Terrain Editor tool.
Just don't forget RESET the standard terrain in Terrain Editor tool before apply your altitude/grey scale generated images.

If you go for the OJB mesh import, that's straight obvious! :D

Good luck.

PS- OOOpsss, didn't saw your previouse post about disabled features. Bad Luck! :(

prometheus
10-31-2008, 10:39 AM
world machine 2 has a fully functional demo no timelimits..
it is limited in the export size of the terrain maps, but you can get decent
maps to play around and test with either displacements in lightwave or take them in to vue terrains.

They have a more realistic natural way of creating terrain fractals, especially the erode settings, also in world machine 2 you can use vectors and paths to create roads.

otherwise..vue 6 is the fastest landscape out there with its interactive preview system that runs circles around terragen 2 with great atmosphere even if terragen creates better overall lighting and has cloud density fractals that are more realistic to real clouds compared to vues functions that actually sucks, you can turn those density functions off thou and only use
the clouds scale detail and amount in the clouds tab looks better I think..otherwise a lot of images seen of clouds from vue has so many round puffs around it that is cause of the poor fractals or noise in vue function editor.

Michael

virtualcomposer
10-31-2008, 04:12 PM
world machine 2 has a fully functional demo no timelimits..
it is limited in the export size of the terrain maps, but you can get decent
maps to play around and test with either displacements in lightwave or take them in to vue terrains.

They have a more realistic natural way of creating terrain fractals, especially the erode settings, also in world machine 2 you can use vectors and paths to create roads.

otherwise..vue 6 is the fastest landscape out there with its interactive preview system that runs circles around terragen 2 with great atmosphere even if terragen creates better overall lighting and has cloud density fractals that are more realistic to real clouds compared to vues functions that actually sucks, you can turn those density functions off thou and only use
the clouds scale detail and amount in the clouds tab looks better I think..otherwise a lot of images seen of clouds from vue has so many round puffs around it that is cause of the poor fractals or noise in vue function editor.

Michael

So what software comes close to Vue without the pricetag and the glitches and crashes?

ben martin
10-31-2008, 07:03 PM
So what software comes close to Vue without the pricetag and the glitches and crashes?
Actually, none that I am aware... the closest is Terragen 2 but with a lot of misses like: wind affecting the grass/trees, Lightwave integration and the worst: a decent development rhythm... Planetside is taking ages to act upon finishing it to sell the stuff.

Anyway check out this TG2 image:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/gallery/f/tg2/mountain_lake_storm_arriving.jpg.html

Check all the other images in the gallery.

virtualcomposer
10-31-2008, 11:35 PM
Actually, none that I am aware... the closest is Terragen 2 but with a lot of misses like: wind affecting the grass/trees, Lightwave integration and the worst: a decent development rhythm... Planetside is taking ages to act upon finishing it to sell the stuff.

Anyway check out this TG2 image:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/gallery/f/tg2/mountain_lake_storm_arriving.jpg.html

Check all the other images in the gallery.

I like how it's free for non commercial use. :)

virtualcomposer
10-31-2008, 11:45 PM
Besides Terain's short comings, I can almost say it's more realistic then Vue 6.

Cougar12dk
11-01-2008, 01:32 AM
This one, the next one if you click the next button, is really really good IMO:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/gallery/f/tg2/smugglers+beach.jpg.html

prometheus
11-01-2008, 09:46 AM
I like this one..
http://www.planetside.co.uk/gallery/f/tg2/Sousbois2redux2.jpg.html
yeah..a lot depends on the artist thou, but granted..I believe Terragen produces better quality in terms of lighting..just compare the light interaction with vegetation in Terragen compared to Vue..for me Terragen looks better in that area...I believe Terragen has a better noise reduction system too..

In many of Vue renders, thereīs notacible grain or noise in the vegetation, not sure if the users now how to set the qualit settings for that correctly.

another thing in vue is that many renders looks painted, I really canīt say what it is..but it sometimes look flat and the colors of the vegetation has a strange painted feel to it, even if that can be nice, but terragens colors are more natural in a way.
then if we look at the trees, we have a classic distinct flat leaf shape distrubution since many built in treespecies are mapping it that way, as opposed to many terragen trees that seems to be imported higher
quality trees.

also in vue you can in many pictures see a distinkt bluish tone overall.
Sure I guess it has a lot to do with the artist, and many might be using simple standard setups without tweaking it further.

Theres a lot in vue that annoys me, but at the end of the day I just canīt learn Terragen and the reason is that it takes to long time to work with in terms of setting up everything and especially previewing everything...yeez that preview renderer is slow.
hopefully planetside can adress this someday.

Michael

Cougar12dk
11-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Yes, that's the reason I don't use TG2 at all. TG 0.9 was okay and fairly easy to setup. TG2 just has too many variables that aren't laid out logically... to me at least. SOME guys are able to produce fabulous images.

virtualcomposer
11-01-2008, 01:45 PM
yes but you can only go up to a certain resolution and size.

jaf
11-01-2008, 09:30 PM
This site has some nice examples of Terragen images:

http://www.ashundar.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=topn&cat=1

virtualcomposer
11-02-2008, 12:30 AM
But hey, for $200, you can't beat the full version. Better then paying $1500. I'll work around the interface anyday.

InfoCentral
11-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Try Bryce 5.5...its FREE and development is slow but well supported. I don't know if it would be worth it to upgrade to the current 6.0 when you can use 5.5 for nothing.

dennis1234
11-02-2008, 08:30 AM
There's nothing wrong with WB it's a good program, I have the free 3.5 ver off a mag and will upgrade to ver 4. I do use vue 6 inf and mojo world and geocontrol and carrara and whatever to do what I need to do.

The point I was getting at was WB has alot of features that I wish vue had and doesnt look like it will be getting anytime soon. I'm not sure why WB isn't bigger in the market. WB 4 has better options for landscape dev besides the grey scale editor you can also draw your mountains same way as in geocontrol but keep in mind that this has been a feature in WB for many years. you can also export you landscape, vegitation .........

Oh I also forgot World Construction Set. you have a lot of options for landscapes.

prometheus
11-02-2008, 09:16 AM
hey dennis1234..whatīs in worldbuilder that you wish vue had?
I only have a faint memory of taking a look at worldbuilder a long time ago, but I havenīt checked it out in itīs current state.

Michael

dennis1234
11-02-2008, 09:27 AM
There is a lot of stuff.

1 have the landscape conform to the object ie a building
2 road tools
3 objects that can float in water that has a current
4 multi level/layered waves
5 draw texture placement areas
6 draw your landscape as in geocontrol 2
7 a better plant construction set
8 particles

dont get me wrong I like vue but there are some things that wb are way better at.

virtualcomposer
11-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Try Bryce 5.5...its FREE and development is slow but well supported. I don't know if it would be worth it to upgrade to the current 6.0 when you can use 5.5 for nothing.

Bryce is a beginner's program though and no matter what, it looks fake and doesn't have a whole lot of options.

InfoCentral
11-02-2008, 07:53 PM
... and doesn't have a whole lot of options.

Except that it is FREE.

Revanto
11-03-2008, 08:21 PM
The things is: How much work do you expect the program to do for you?

Any landscape building software will have some sort of export option allowing you to tweak the geometry in Lightwave afterwards. The more stuff that goes into the export, the better, I suppose. But if you want scenery to look like you want it to, ultimately, some of your own work is going to have to go in it.

If a program can do something to save you from tedious work then that's great but don't expect the program to do ALL the work for you.

Anyway, there are always ways of cheating to get the result you want.

So take the best that you can from each program you use and do the best you can from what you've got.

Revanto