PDA

View Full Version : My new web gallery...

starbase1
10-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Hi All,
I've had a complete rebuild of my online galleries, and I'd really appreciate some feedback, particularly on the video and QTVR areas, which are completely new to me... (and the 3d is definitely dominated by Lightwave!)

http://www.starbase1.co.uk/galleries/index.html

The rest of the site is a bit flaky at the moment, as I bring it into line with the new style, and new locations of stuff.

The galleries are done with JAlbum and the Chameleon skin, happy to help anyone else who wants to use this wonderful bit of free software, (which is Java based and should therefore run on almost anything).

There's also a separate Animated GIF area, which uses very different settings, here:
http://www.starbase1.co.uk/Animated-GIF/index.html

(And while I am at it, I am currently using NVu for web editing, anyone got any other good cheap suggestions? Development has stopped on this, and I find the major packages way over the top for basic page editing.

Nick

Sekhar
10-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Amazing renders and great looking site. The images all really pop and have the wow factor. Congratulations!

A few issues I had, FYI:

Couldn't tell what the categories werre on the opening page - there's no text, or it isn't showing up. You only see the text when you move mouse over
Nav (e.g., for images) seems a bit unusual. E.g., there are two ways to navigate left/right: using images on left/right and links at the top. Couldn't make out what the images on the left/right were for a while, to be honest. Also, the main galleries page had top links as pages, and then when you go to a page top links become links to images - was confusing to me.
QTVR not working for me. Loads and then nothing, just black. Tried on IE and FF. Also, you might want to add a preloader or some indication that it's loading - I'm in US and it took a while to load and I couldn't tell what was going on. Also, in IE after the failed load, no buttons respond, forcing me to reload page.
From a design viewpoint, I thought the round-edged nav buttons at the bottom broke the unity of the site that had everything else in great looking square edged objects. You might want to make the buttons also square edged and smaller with more space in-between
Also, it might help to give a theme/message to the site, rather than making it to be just a repository to browse. I.e., what do you want the visitors to feel about you and your business? I didn't get that, other than that you obviously are extremely skilled - may be that is all that matters, but still would help IMO to have an opening page that positions you well.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

starbase1
10-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks for such a detailed response, I really appreciate it!

The QTVR's require Quicktime, the vids are Flash and should play on everything. (Well, I think one or two Divx may still be lurking!)

I definitely get descriptions under the black folders and thumbnails for categories. Maybe I can make them bolder.

I like your idea about squaring off the buttons, I think I'll do it.

I want to get the galleries right to start with, then I'll bring the rest in line. It should get more consistent then, though I know I have a certain tendency to dump in everything I am interested in!

Not sure if I can add loading progress, not seen any options for that in the software yet...

Thanks again for such a detailed response,
Nick

Amazing renders and great looking site. The images all really pop and have the wow factor. Congratulations!

A few issues I had, FYI:

Couldn't tell what the categories werre on the opening page - there's no text, or it isn't showing up. You only see the text when you move mouse over
Nav (e.g., for images) seems a bit unusual. E.g., there are two ways to navigate left/right: using images on left/right and links at the top. Couldn't make out what the images on the left/right were for a while, to be honest. Also, the main galleries page had top links as pages, and then when you go to a page top links become links to images - was confusing to me.
QTVR not working for me. Loads and then nothing, just black. Tried on IE and FF. Also, you might want to add a preloader or some indication that it's loading - I'm in US and it took a while to load and I couldn't tell what was going on. Also, in IE after the failed load, no buttons respond, forcing me to reload page.
From a design viewpoint, I thought the round-edged nav buttons at the bottom broke the unity of the site that had everything else in great looking square edged objects. You might want to make the buttons also square edged and smaller with more space in-between
Also, it might help to give a theme/message to the site, rather than making it to be just a repository to browse. I.e., what do you want the visitors to feel about you and your business? I didn't get that, other than that you obviously are extremely skilled - may be that is all that matters, but still would help IMO to have an opening page that positions you well.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

MooseDog
10-27-2008, 06:56 AM
...(And while I am at it, I am currently using NVu for web editing, anyone got any other good cheap suggestions? Development has stopped on this, and I find the major packages way over the top for basic page editing.

Nick

nicely done nick, nicely done:thumbsup:

i'm using a combo of pspad and topstyle lite. while it's not an integrated solution for css/html (sound familiar 'round here? hehe), it's solid, effective...and free:D

starbase1
10-27-2008, 07:20 AM
nicely done nick, nicely done:thumbsup:

i'm using a combo of pspad and topstyle lite. while it's not an integrated solution for css/html (sound familiar 'round here? hehe), it's solid, effective...and free:D

Thanks, I'll take a look.
Amaya is also on the checklist. NVu is good, but has some minor irritations for me.

(I must admit, I'm not above dropping down to notepad and reload in the browser, when I really want scontrol, and to clear out the clutter!)