PDA

View Full Version : fiber fx and ram

giacob
10-25-2008, 01:01 AM
every time i increase my fiber density on a large area layout crashes...
is it because i have just 2GB of RAM ?
how much RAM is raccomanded to work decently with Fiber Fx?

Roger Harris
10-25-2008, 02:32 AM
From my experience I'd say almost certainly yes! I have to allocate render segment amounts to 1 or 2 GB regularly to get relatively small (but dense) fibres to render.

As always with RAM, get as much as you can possibly afford... Lots!

Roger

Andrew March
10-25-2008, 03:01 AM
If you're using a 32bit OS you're only going to be able to use a maximum of 3gb anyway and even then you have to write a boot switch to choose 3gb on startup, if you want to use more RAM you need a 64bit OS.

giacob
10-25-2008, 06:13 AM
i am going to put the question in different way
... having 2gb of ram is there any chance of using fiber fx on large surfaces?
there are some trick a may use?

Hieron
10-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Giacob:

I think no. After 2 days of crashes and trials etc. I could not get it to work decently on a large surface without a very big chance of crashing it. This was on a 32 bit machine with 4 Gb RAM (yes I know it doesn't address the last part). Memory usage showed around 1.5 Gb machine total btw..

To test it, I took LW to a 64 bit machine with 4 Gb RAM. I haven't seen crashes since and pushed fibercounts through the roof. At some point I got it to start paging since I used 5 Gb but it still didn't crash.

So my verdict: get more ram, at least 4 Gb and move to a 64 bit OS. I myself had it already but waited, scared of all the new install work. But will surely do it now.

(some of my trials are in the Fiber Effect density issue thread a bit below)

giacob
10-25-2008, 07:51 AM
thanks... i suppose so