PDA

View Full Version : Add points in the Middle of selected EDGES?? (not with CUT tool)

romrom74
10-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Hi, another mysterious quest,
say I want to to divide (not split) into two equal segment a large bunch of edges (shared or not) in a mesh. Obviously those edges are not connected in loop in any manner and they can't be selected by hand (I lost mine and there're too many of them, and the process should be scriptable...).

What I mean is how can I subdivide in two (or three or etc) only selected EDGES without using cut or quickcut or whatnot that just can't work in this situation because some polys got more than two edges selected at a time??????
seems impossible in LW unless somebody already wrotte smthing to do that properly (pictrix script addpoinin middle or something like that doesn't work because it's based on POINTS selection....)
thx for any tips!
rom

geothefaust
10-24-2008, 10:42 AM
I've been wanting something very similar to this for a while now. I came up with a work around that is very painful, and is not ideal nor accurate...

I ran a bandsaw along the geometry where you want to add the points. Then, copy those points, undo your bandsaw cut, then paste those points into another layer. Then select the two polygons on the edge where you want to add the points (I'm not sure if the addpoints tool works on edges, can't test at the moment), then use the addpoints tool, and add two points to that edge.

Now, use your drag snap tool, and with the ghost points layer activated, drag your new points to snap to the ghost points.

Done... Yes, very painful, sorry about that. But it's the closest thing I could get under time constraints.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, instead of using the the addpoints tool, you could also use the connect tool to create those points. Then drag snap as before.

art
10-24-2008, 11:47 AM
I started writing a plugin that does what you want (I think). It was not meant to divive polygon into smaller polys, only to add more equally spaced points to selected edge(s).
I don't remember why I never finished it, but I should still have it somewhere, covered with digital dust.

Matt
10-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Try the l (as in lowercase L) for the 'Connect' tool, this will only divide it in two, and only with one edge at a time or it will split the polygon between them.

Ztreem
10-24-2008, 12:34 PM
I don't know how your model looks like, but this methos may work. Select all edges and use the select Nth command(settings n:2 offset:2) to select every second edge and use the connect tool to add a point in the middle. Now you select all the edges again and use the the select Nth tool and change the offset to 3 and use the connect tool again. I hope this make sense.

geothefaust
10-24-2008, 05:41 PM
I started writing a plugin that does what you want (I think). It was not meant to divive polygon into smaller polys, only to add more equally spaced points to selected edge(s).
I don't remember why I never finished it, but I should still have it somewhere, covered with digital dust.

Yeah that's cool. I would use it too. Sometimes you just need a set number of points points at equal distances between two other points, but without adding more geometry. Connect just splits it at 50%. Bandsaw is the next closest tool to do this, but adds geometry.

Anyway, I hope you're able to finish that script. ;)

Kuzey
10-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Try the divide tool :hey:

Found in the Multiply tab /Subdivide category /Divide

It works on many edges...as long as they are selected.

Kuzey

JeffrySG
10-25-2008, 12:29 AM
I'm still trying to figure out exactly what romrom74 was asking.... :stumped:

care to post a pic?

geothefaust
10-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Try the divide tool :hey:

Found in the Multiply tab /Subdivide category /Divide

It works on many edges...as long as they are selected.

Kuzey

Hey thanks, I never thought to use it on just an edge. Good idea. :thumbsup:

romrom74
10-25-2008, 12:25 PM
ok guys,
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/romain.janil/divide1.jpg
here's a pic showing what I want to achieve. Divide or cut or quickcut give an error message when there're more than 2 edges selected at a time within a single poly. Thats' because the divide algorithm actually tries to to split the polys, adding edges and it don't know how to do when the selction isn't a continuous row or strip of polys. The thing is I actually don't want to add edges...or split the poly, I just want to add points there, for mysterious reasons indeed could you ask me for....

Anyway, this is not the mesh I'm working on by the way, in the real one i've more than 100 000 edges to deal with, it's just impossible to go though the model, select the edges in order, divide, reselct etc....I need I need a script to do this and I'm just asking if anybody already coded smthing like that before I do it myself (if I manage to...!) Thx for all your replies!

romrom74
10-25-2008, 12:51 PM
and the result with the points added where I want to...
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/romain.janil/divide2.jpg

except I had to do this by hand for this image...too tedious for all the edges I need to handle.

JeffrySG
10-26-2008, 10:50 AM
I understand what you want to do now. Yes, it would be nice if LW could do that. Actually what you want to do is super simple in Wings3D (free). You just select the edges you want, and then hit the numbers 1 through 0 to cut in any number of segments. So if you hit the number 4 it would put 3 extra verts on each edge so you have each edge made up of 4 edges then. Very simple. Or you can use the right-click mouse menus also: Select CUT>rightclick it>Select the amount of edges to have. See pics.

JeffrySG
10-26-2008, 10:55 AM
You could use the add edges tool to do that in LW but it's not an automatic thing and would still require a lot of manual work.

romrom74
10-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Yep, I know about the add edges! that's a pity we can't just click enter with the initial settings (all blue circles in the middle of the edges...) and voilą...but manual work is no go for me , ideally this process should even be batchable...
I 'll have a look at wings3d though, seems a nice free little modeler!

JeffrySG
10-26-2008, 11:16 AM
^(oops... then of course you'd have to delete all the extra edges too...)

(damn time limit)

If you're going to try Wings, you might have to turn on the 'advanced menus' in the preferences. This lets you right-click some of the mouse menu options, giving you even more options. Or like I said just hit any of the number keys on the main part of the keyboard. :)

GraphXs
10-27-2008, 10:01 PM
You can use the "connect tool" to get a middle point on the edges.

If you select every other edge it will just add a point down the middle of it.

I tried it with a sphere:

1)Selected every other edge
2)Loop selection
3)Hit connect, and it added a point to the middle of each selected edge. :thumbsup:

art
10-28-2008, 03:25 PM

Well, I found it and finished it (or rather almost rewritten from scratch). It may still have bugs, but so far it seems to work fine. I'll do some more testing and recompile it for 64 bit later.

romrom74
10-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks a lot Art! I'll test it on win 32 and look forward to getting in 64 bit flavor!