PDA

View Full Version : Iím going Batty! Need some flocking help here..

TSpyrison
10-24-2008, 08:23 AM
So what I want, are these bats flying around the logo.. not one big group all at once, more of a stream of bats.

So what I did, was use a particle emitter and wind FX. The wind FX mode set to Animation Path..

It works, for the most part, except for two things..

1) There are places where the animation path gets close to itself, so the wind effect from one area of the path will grab some of the particles making them jump from one part of the path to another..

2) The particles end up in more of a line, than spread out. How can I get them to spread out a bit?

Any ideas?

Nangleator
10-24-2008, 09:23 AM
I've only used a wind path emitter once, but I was able to size the... what are they called? Nodes?... thingies so that my particles spread out at the fat ones, and tightened up for the thin ones.

Dirk
10-24-2008, 01:15 PM
How about using a point cloud with morphs, with bones, maybe lazy points or this trailer plugin from dstorm? Might give better control.

SonicMotion
10-24-2008, 01:22 PM
i've done exact thing before exept with butterflies not bats

http://www.short3d.com/Vids/butterfly.mov
(the glitches didn't make it in the final vid)

The trick for separating them was to increase your particle size to the size of your bats, that keeps them from clipping too.

You should try increasing your logo size and wind path size to keep them from jumping the path.

If that doesn't work you could always make the particles follow and object instead of a wind path.

Wickster
10-24-2008, 02:09 PM
I wonder if you can group the Bats at first, passing through the Path Wind affecting only their specific grouping. and then once they are at some place they pass through another Path Wind but then have that wind effector change their grouping name so the old wind effector doesn't affect them anymore.

I haven't tried this so make a copy of your scene to try it out cause I don't wanna get blamed. lol.

Matt
10-24-2008, 06:21 PM
Does this help?

http://www.blochi.com/files/flocking_birds.pdf