PDA

View Full Version : Not Political: Far Cry 2

IMI
10-23-2008, 05:52 PM
I bought Far Cry 2 this morning through Steam. It was just released today - or maybe it was yesterday, I'm not sure.

Very very cool, so far, IMO, but damn... BY FAR the most intuitive and easiest to use map editor included with it. You can draw out roads, multiple foliage instances, place buildings and drivable vehicles, change the weather, draw out landscape features... all kinds of stuff and then simply press the "Test in Game" button and *plop*, there you are, running around in your new map, able to fully interact with your scenery, drive your vehicles...whatever.
And then you validate it to see if it's online-ready, and then save it out, ready to be used on a dedicated online play server or your LAN.

Honestly, IMO, the map editor alone is worth it - I think I've had more fun with it than with the game itself, so far. ;)

Anyone else here gotten it yet?

Matt
10-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Probably buying it tomorrow, along with Dead Space! No work for me then! :D

IMI
10-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Oh you won't regret it, Matt. It's refreshing - to me, at least, in that although it's a FPS, it has a story, missions, and it seems you definitely need to think strategically.

I had thought it was going to be alot like Crysis, but it doesn't look like halfway through the game all of a sudden you're gonna be fighting weird things from somewhere else that you can't defeat. ;)

And I love the "sandbox" feel to it. You can go anywhere you want in the world at any time, and it's HUGE. Forget walking, - although you can, you pretty much have to drive to get anywhere in any decent amount of time.

Mrjack
10-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Coooooooooooooooool gamers here:D
Anyone know if it's released for Xbox 360 yet
i prefer play FPS with Joystic :P na................ shame on me

Matt
10-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Yep, it's available for Xbox 360, as is Dead Space, but I prefer my FPS games on the PC, in fact I don't own any consoles.

Mrjack
10-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Thanx matt, Dead soace rock
im waiting for gears of war 2 i love this game
i dont know why i have problems to play with mouse in FPS?
but im much better with joystic

IMI
10-23-2008, 07:45 PM
I probably ought to mention this...
After using the Editor, in windowed mode, not maximized, but dragged out to about 90% of my 24" monitor, the game then would only open in windowd mode, and I found no way to make it full screen, as there is no Full Screen checkbox in the options.
But, I learned on the Steam Forum that Alt+Enter puts it back in full screen mode.
The same thing happens after Alt+Tabbing out of it.
Just FYI.

DiedonD
10-24-2008, 03:56 AM
Ive tried Far Cry 1.

I didnt like the game actually. The ordinary guy with fancy haiti shirt didnt fit my picture of a hero. And then he were suppose to shot them all up! Nah, it didnt worked for me.

Now I dont know how better Far Cry 2 is, since I havent played it, but what Ive played and liked thus far are:

Onimusha 2-4
Legacy of Kain Series 2-5
Metal Gear PS series 2-4
Syphon Filter 1-4
Tekken 1-5
Final Fight Streetwise

And a few more that I cant remember for now. The first three are incredibly good. Onimusha 4 almost made me cry, as I went to the 100 level of hell with all 5 characters. After that main bosses are simple to beat.

They ruined Legacy of Kain by killing the hero, imagine that. They made the hero die and sacrifice himself in order to save ay villan, and expected us to like it. But until then, especially LOK 2 is amazing

Metal Gear is 'The Incredibles' of Game World by me. Everything is perfect, and the have a great story to tell too.

The rest are good, but wont take your FULLL attention as the first three.

Now Im thinking of buying Devil May Cry 1-5. I havent played it at all, they say and looks good too. But am not sure cause it looks a bit like God Of War, which I didnt like. Anyone played it?

Dirk
10-24-2008, 04:08 AM
I want such a landscape editor for Lightwave....

.... there has to be a starving wannabe game programmer out there who can do that :D

archijam
10-24-2008, 04:53 AM
.. not available through steam in your region (switzerland) .. :P

IMI
10-24-2008, 06:45 AM
Just a series of screenies of what I spent the last half hour doing in the FC2 Editor. I only barely know what I'm doing so far, and there's soooo much you can do with it.
The kicker is, what you see is only a small portion of the land mass you have available, and every single object, tree, plant, whatever you have in the game, you can place on your map. And it's all automatically interactive. Meaning, you can drive the vehicles, shoot the mounted weapons, destroy the buldings, and all that good stuff.
Seriously, the Editor is hugely addictive, ;)

IMI
10-24-2008, 06:45 AM
One more...

Captain Obvious
10-24-2008, 07:03 AM
It does seem cool, but it's got the activation limit thing. If they want me to rent the game, that's fine, but refuse to pay full price for a game that I cannot install on my discretion.

I will never buy a game (or indeed any other product) with a limit to the number of times I can install it. Lightwave's DRM is far less convenient than Far Cry 2's, or Spore's, or what have you, but I can still grab an old dongle from LW 5 or whatever and run the application when I see fit, how I see fit. I don't need to call NewTek up and ask them kindly to activate it for me.

IMI
10-24-2008, 07:16 AM
Yeah, I know, I know, heard it all before, been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
If you don't like that, fine. Don't rain on my parade. :neener:

I was just hoping to share some info on this cool game here. I like it.
Now this is going to become one of this bit-ch and moan-fests about DRM, activation, "renting", user's rights, blahblahblah, ad nauseum.
'course, I hope not. It would be cool if just once something like this could be discussed on its merits and not its limitations.

In any event, the way I look at it is thus:
It's 50 bucks right now. In a year it'll be 19.99. In two years, there will be a bundled release of the main game and a few of the better mods, for 9.99.
If I have to buy it again for some stupid reason, it's not gonna kill me, and I couldn't care less about any imaginary Corporate Greed or screwing of the paying customers, blahblahblah...

Not only that, but my gaming machine is TIGHT. And backed up. The chances of me needing to reinstall it are very slim, the chances I will use up all my activations before I get sick of it, virtually nil.

Hell, I spend four or more times the cost of this just going to Epcot, and that's only one day's worth of entertainment. I spend twice as much in a month renting movies and ordering pizzas. I could go on like that, but it doesn't matter. ;)

Simon
10-24-2008, 09:49 AM
A great video showing the map editor, looks a whole lot of fun.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38618.html

Matt
10-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I know, I know, heard it all before, been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
If you don't like that, fine. Don't rain on my parade. :neener:

I was just hoping to share some info on this cool game here. I like it.
Now this is going to become one of this bit-ch and moan-fests about DRM, activation, "renting", user's rights, blahblahblah, ad nauseum.
'course, I hope not. It would be cool if just once something like this could be discussed on its merits and not its limitations.

In any event, the way I look at it is thus:
It's 50 bucks right now. In a year it'll be 19.99. In two years, there will be a bundled release of the main game and a few of the better mods, for 9.99.
If I have to buy it again for some stupid reason, it's not gonna kill me, and I couldn't care less about any imaginary Corporate Greed or screwing of the paying customers, blahblahblah...

Not only that, but my gaming machine is TIGHT. And backed up. The chances of me needing to reinstall it are very slim, the chances I will use up all my activations before I get sick of it, virtually nil.

Hell, I spend four or more times the cost of this just going to Epcot, and that's only one day's worth of entertainment. I spend twice as much in a month renting movies and ordering pizzas. I could go on like that, but it doesn't matter. ;)

Ditto!

BigHache
10-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Does anyone know if it will install/run in XP x64?

What options do the map editor offer for importing custom models?

IMI
10-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Does anyone know if it will install/run in XP x64?

What options do the map editor offer for importing custom models?

I don't see why it wouldn't run in XP x64. I'm running it under Vista Ultimate x64.
I don't know about importing custom objects. I was looking around for that information, but all I found was people saying there would be no SDK for it, so I don't know...

Matt
10-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Oh dear.

So I bought it, installed it, and I HATE it.

It feels like a console game and in NO WAY a decent PC FPS.

When I first ran it, I was told my nVidia drivers were out of date, so I installed the latest ones. Then it kept locking up on the jeep intro sequence, so I re-installed my previous drivers which worked fine.

Next up, I manned a machine gun and I can't for the life of me get off the damn thing! No key stroke works!

This game, so far is awful, not at all what I hoped for. I've totally wasted £30.

:(

Matt
10-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Oh that's just fking great.

Fired up Dead Space, and guess what. You CAN'T edit all your keys (won't allow editing of arrow keys, you are FORCED to use WSAD keys).

And no support for multi-button mice either.

This is a BIG mistake by EA, they SHOULD know better, what on God's Earth was the programme manager for this game thinking. ANY normal FPS gamer knows this stuff.

I am NOT happy at all with either of these games.

WHY can't these idiots get the basic right - the ability to setup your gaming environment / controls.

Christ, I should work as a usability consultant for these people, they clearly haven't got a clue.

IMI
10-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Oh dear.

When I first ran it, I was told my nVidia drivers were out of date, so I installed the latest ones. Then it kept locking up on the jeep intro sequence, so I re-installed my previous drivers which worked fine.

Next up, I manned a machine gun and I can't for the life of me get off the damn thing! No key stroke works!

This game, so far is awful, not at all what I hoped for. I've totally wasted £30.

Wow, that's strange. I've seen some bug reports on the Steam forums, but nothing THAT extensive. It works perfectly for me, hasn't crashed once, runs smooth as butter, and all my keys work. But that's not gonna do you any good...
Try changing the DirectX vbersion in the Display options, It's a dropdown. You have to restart after changing it. Maybe try updating your DX, too.

What are your system specs?

PS gotta hit E again to get back off the gun. if you got on, I would think you could get back off.

Matt
10-24-2008, 10:38 PM
It seems game developers are focussing on consoles only these days, and doing half-assed ports to the PC, which is a totally different animal.

Dead Space is a waste of space ALL because the controls are awful, if you're a PC gamer avoid it like the plague until they sort this issue out, it's totally unplayable.

Regarding Far Cry 2, it just feels like a horrible console game, not at all like the original Far Cry which I loved.

My system specs are:

Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad-Core QX6700
Asus Striker Extreme NF680i
768MB EVGA 8800GTX ACS3
4GB CorsairTwinX XMS2 Dominator DDR2 PC2-6400
Terratec DMX6Fire 24/96
Zalman CNPS9500-AT CPU Cooler
1000W Enermax Galaxy PSU
Western Digital 150/80/200/1000 HD

IMI
10-24-2008, 11:06 PM
I never even saw the original Far Cry, but I read that FC2 is very different.
I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with it. Obviously, your specs are well above what it needs.
I'm not so sure I know what you mean by a "horrible console game", though. I'm loving it. The graphics are great with everything set on max and 2xAA on a 24" monitor, and the gameplay is very smooth. The missions lack imagination - are repetitive, but it's a fun shooter, with pretty good AI. And just like Crysis, you can blow up everything, but you can also set buildings, trees, grass, and even enemies on fire. Not that I condone that sort of behavior. ;)
I have it running on Vista Ultimate x64, 8800GTS-640MB, Q9550 quad core, 8 Gb RAM, in DX 10 mode.

DiedonD
10-25-2008, 07:43 AM
Oh dear.

Hah! Toldya :D

My mentioned games wouldnt have harmed your nerves now would they?

And COMMANDOS 1-4 are also great, and owrk better on PC than on console too!

IMI
10-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Hah! Toldya :D

My mentioned games wouldnt have harmed your nerves now would they?

And COMMANDOS 1-4 are also great, and owrk better on PC than on console too!

I don't know about the Commando games (never tried 'em), but FC2 has gotten some pretty high ratings.
And if Matt says it plays badly, well, I guess that's his opinion. Hopefully he'll give it a chance if he gets it worked out. it does seem some people have issues, though I haven't seen a common thread yet, but I'm sure there will be patches soon enough. We all know game companies (aside from maybe Valve) tend to release them with some problems. Some of them, such as the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games are so buggy it's almost funny...

IMO, FC2 is very fun. Very. Repetitive, yes, but it's a FPS, after all, with some very minor RPG elements, and it's *expansive*. I mean, huge. And I don't know how they did it, but it seems to be all one map. You can literally walk or drive from one end of the world to the other (it's a 50 sq km world, btw), and not get interrupted with "Loading...." screens. And I'll say it again, it plays *very* smoothly on my PC.

I'm a gamer who loves a great game, but I'm also a 3D guy who can appreciate the work that goes into the maps. As a 3D guy, I can consider it "worth it" just to have access to the Editor and to be able to stroll around in the game's scenery.
Attached are a couple of my own in-game screenshots, which I cut down to 75% of full size, for file size.

IMI
10-25-2008, 05:50 PM
dead Space looks cool, but I just can't get into 3rd person view.

Snosrap
10-25-2008, 10:25 PM

That's why the Amiga was such a great game machine and consoles are good too--not a bazillion different machine configurations for the developer to contend with. I'll take my PS3, XBox360, and Wii over a PC game anyday--insert DVD and play! Not to mention you can rent the game before you buy. Just imagine how stable LW would be on a closed platform:D

Cheers
Snosrap

Matt
10-26-2008, 05:25 AM
dead Space looks cool, but I just can't get into 3rd person view.

Yeah that doesn't help either, another console hangover. :(

But as Neverko said, the game _itself_ is good, but the controls make it really frustrating to play.

I have a game pad, I'm gonna try it with that and see if it helps.

Bog
10-29-2008, 06:33 AM
Gonna swim against the flow here.

FarCry2. I'm very disappointed. In no particular order...

1) It's an RPG, not an FPS.
2) It's not a sandbox. You can't climb some of the hills (see below)
3) It's much less pretty than Far Cry.
4) It's buggy (see below)
5) It's not even slightly sci-fi.

This isn't a Far Cry Game. I should have read up on it before purchase - why didn't you, Bog? I hear you cry! Because I didn't want to risk any spoilers. I figured that with the name Far Cry 2, it would be a Far Cry game. Not the bastard son of STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl and GTA Soweto. This is to Far Cry as "I, Robot" was to the novel of the same name. The film had some robots in it. This game has some grass in it. There all similarities end.

Also, bugs. Really. I got my car shot up at an interesection, so dismounted, shot almost everyone at the CP except for the bloke I had to switch to machete to dispose of due to 1) A stoppage and 2) Not having a mélee attack. Because nobody in this 'verse ever thought of just hitting something with a not-working gun, they'll take the time to unlimber a machete instead. Grr.

So out of curiosity, I think "I'll climb that thar rise and see what's about". A bit of the way up, I can't walk any further, so I jump a couple of times. At the top of the rise, where it falls back off towards the horizontal, is an invisible wall. An impenetrable, invisible wall. Right at the point where you'd be able to walk normally again.

Grrr. Sandbox? Litterbox more like.

So I try to get back down. And get stuck. In the invisible wall. Then the landscape disappears, leaving my blade-wielding arm over a field of blue, with one shrub in the far middle distance.

"Loading" appears.

Landscape comes back. So do all the hostiles at the checkpoint. Bog dies.

Bog Ragequits.

I'm very, very disappointed.

Bog
10-29-2008, 06:50 AM
Oh, and another thing. I don't *care* how worn the pistol is. If it makes a loud noise when you put your booger-hook on the bang switch, then at point blank range with the muzzle against someone's bandana, then they're not going to turn around and keep shooting. They simply aren't. And if the AI is that wonderful, why is the guy who's 20 yards away with a shotgun ignoring the heavy machinegun that's two feet to his left and already pointing in my direction? That's not artificial intelligence, that's synthetic stupidity.

Grrr.

IMI
10-29-2008, 06:51 AM
How long dod you play it for, Bog?
I've played over 30 hours so far and I'm only half way through it. I've not seen any of anything like you described there. I've tried to go to the limits of the map, but doing that makes my character slowly fade out and pass out, then a "buddy" rescues me by dragging me to safety. Certainly no solid walls or anything like that.
I've read about alot of bugs, haven't seen any though that I'm aware of. The game (for me) runs smoothly, beautifully, and I rarely get pwned by enemies...
Other than that, I can, and do, go just about anywhere. Those mountains in alot of places aren't *meant* to be climbed, they're *meant* to be obstacles. Sometimes you can get a little past some of that, which is what I guess happened for you to an extreme, but you're not supposed to be able to get to what you saw anyway. If there's a bug there it's that you were allowed to get to that point, not that that "wall" exists.

You are right though that it's not a continuation of Far Cry. From what I've read, that is, but I bought it for its own merits, not its intimated sequel value.

IMI
10-29-2008, 07:02 AM
Oh, and another thing. I don't *care* how worn the pistol is. If it makes a loud noise when you put your booger-hook on the bang switch, then at point blank range with the muzzle against someone's bandana, then they're not going to turn around and keep shooting. They simply aren't. And if the AI is that wonderful, why is the guy who's 20 yards away with a shotgun ignoring the heavy machinegun that's two feet to his left and already pointing in my direction? That's not artificial intelligence, that's synthetic stupidity.

Grrr.

Yeah, there are some glitches, some bad choices.
Have you seen an enemy NPC try to rescue a fallen comrade yet after the guy has cried for a medic? I have, it's pretty cool to watch.
have you been stalked by a loner who had the presence of "mind" to stick back and sneak around behind you, knowing you thought you got everyone? I have, and that's pretty cool too.
Sure there's alot of recklessness, but it's how you go about it, I think. if you charge them, they panic, and react irrationally much of the time. You get much more satisfying battles if you sneak in and then draw them away and hide. I watch them, and I see what I consider to be pretty good AI overall. It's not real life, of course. Not any worse than STALKER CS, that's for sure.
Besides, you have real people in real life who are idiots too, so who's to say the AI isn't working as planned? ;)

DiedonD
10-29-2008, 07:07 AM
Gonna swim against the flow here.

FarCry2. I'm very disappointed. In no particular order...

1) It's an RPG, not an FPS.
2) It's not a sandbox. You can't climb some of the hills (see below)
3) It's much less pretty than Far Cry.
4) It's buggy (see below)
5) It's not even slightly sci-fi.

This isn't a Far Cry Game. I should have read up on it before purchase - why didn't you, Bog? I hear you cry! Because I didn't want to risk any spoilers. I figured that with the name Far Cry 2, it would be a Far Cry game. Not the bastard son of STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl and GTA Soweto. This is to Far Cry as "I, Robot" was to the novel of the same name. The film had some robots in it. This game has some grass in it. There all similarities end.

Also, bugs. Really. I got my car shot up at an interesection, so dismounted, shot almost everyone at the CP except for the bloke I had to switch to machete to dispose of due to 1) A stoppage and 2) Not having a mélee attack. Because nobody in this 'verse ever thought of just hitting something with a not-working gun, they'll take the time to unlimber a machete instead. Grr.

So out of curiosity, I think "I'll climb that thar rise and see what's about". A bit of the way up, I can't walk any further, so I jump a couple of times. At the top of the rise, where it falls back off towards the horizontal, is an invisible wall. An impenetrable, invisible wall. Right at the point where you'd be able to walk normally again.

Grrr. Sandbox? Litterbox more like.

So I try to get back down. And get stuck. In the invisible wall. Then the landscape disappears, leaving my blade-wielding arm over a field of blue, with one shrub in the far middle distance.

"Loading" appears.

Landscape comes back. So do all the hostiles at the checkpoint. Bog dies.

Bog Ragequits.

I'm very, very disappointed.

Hah! Toldya! Now Metal Gear series or LOK series wouldnt have all that would they! :D

Far Cry 2 sounds like one of them movies, that you see that theres the second serie to it, and you think 'Wow since theres a second serie, the first must be such a great success, that they earned enough money on it, so as to reinvest on the second one!' And they both turn out bad :thumbsdow

They sometimes do next series, even though the first isnt good, to trick you into buying them. So watch it.

Bog
10-29-2008, 07:12 AM
How long dod you play it for, Bog?

According to my Steam stats page, 3.1 hours.

Didn't take me long to find the rough spots. And I agree with DiedonD - it's a sequel riding the name with no relation. Grrrrr.

IMI
10-29-2008, 07:15 AM
Hah! Toldya! Now Metal Gear series or LOK series wouldnt have all that would they! :D

Far Cry 2 sounds like one of them movies, that you see that theres the second serie to it, and you think 'Wow since theres a second serie, the first must be such a great success, that they earned enough money on it, so as to reinvest on the second one!' And they both turn out bad :thumbsdow

They sometimes do next series, even though the first isnt good, to trick you into buying them. So watch it.

EXACTLY.
I mean, "So watch it.". Great advice, really. Nobody should listen to me and my opinion on it any more than they should listen to the reviewer's opinions or the manufacturer's hype. I don't. I buy a game based on if it looks like something I'll enjoy, whether people like it or not, and I read the user's comments, not the reviews so much. As a result, I'm satisfied almost all the time.
I also tend to discard out-of-hand what appear to me, to be whiny and immature rants, because they tend to be made by whiny, immature people who are more angry at themselves for buying something they should have looked into better first.
No, I'm not referring to anyone here - the game forums are full of them.

Bog
10-29-2008, 07:25 AM
Oh I think all my whines are pretty reasonable, really. Yes, I should have investigated further first, but it's also fair to say that these days avoiding spoilers is also a valid concern. The fact that FC2 is an RPG without any Sci-Fi elements isn't a reason not to buy it. It's just not Far Cry in any way shape or form, so calling it Far Cry 2 is misleading. The bugs, though. Ah, the bugs. GRR. Don't get me wrong - it's not "no fun", it's just not what it says on the box.

IMI
10-29-2008, 07:40 AM
And I wasn't saying you were whining, which is why I put that last line in there. :)
What you've written is nowhere - NOWHERE - near as whiny as you can find regularly on the Steam forums, by the twelve-year-olds...

Sarford
10-29-2008, 07:54 AM
I've sunken about 13 hours into this game now. It realy plays very smooth on my machine (2Ghz quad, 4 Gb ram, GTX 260) in optimal settings. But I don't think its very pretty, its has a quite generic look and very bland colors. Not something I imagine africal jungle would look like. Also, the rocks have a specular! Who thought that was a good idear to up realism? I think Crysis looks much more beautifull and well designed, with a greater variaty of textures with higher resolution and with better designed levels.

Its nice to have an open world but most parts of the map have unclimable mountains, locking you into a set path. I also don't like the almost instand respawning of enemies. Within ten minutes or so after clearing it, a checkpoint has a new full suply of badies again. The rate its going now, after I've finished this game I must have killed thousands of them.

But its not all bad. I like the firefights with the badies. And although they do have their quirks, like Bog mentions, they seem smarter then most game foes I've encounterd. I'll keep playing this game for a while, but I don't know if I will ever finish it. I've read (gamespy) that later in the game the amount of gunner-jeeps become a real show-stopper.

Bog
10-29-2008, 08:03 AM
And I wasn't saying you were whining, which is why I put that last line in there. :)
What you've written is nowhere - NOWHERE - near as whiny as you can find regularly on the Steam forums, by the twelve-year-olds...

*whines* I wasn't whiiiiiining!! ;)

Matt
10-29-2008, 10:39 AM
But I don't think it (Far Cry 2) is very pretty, its has a quite generic look and very bland colors. I think Crysis looks much more beautiful and well designed, with a greater variety of textures with higher resolution and with better designed levels.

... I also don't like the almost instant respawning of enemies. Within ten minutes or so after clearing it, a checkpoint has a new full supply of baddies again.

Totally agree, it has no soul or character, it reminds of something that has come out of one of those game generator engines.

I've heard tons of issues with balancing too, one guy on the Far Cry 2 forum mentioned some enemy with a mortar being able to see and hit him despite being totally out of sight and in a different location, he's given up playing now.

I haven't loaded it up since I played about 15 minutes of it last week and was horrified at how much they'd ruined the game.

On the plus side, I'm quite enjoying 'Dead Space', I'm becoming used to the controls (reluctantly) although I still hope they patch that issue.

IMI
10-29-2008, 10:54 AM
15 minutes, eh?
"ruined the game"?
Well, OK, as long as you gave it a fair shake, that's all that matters...

Matt
10-29-2008, 03:14 PM
15 minutes, eh?
"ruined the game"?
Well, OK, as long as you gave it a fair shake, that's all that matters...

That's all I needed to get the feel of how it played, e.g. like a horrible console game and not a decent FPS PC game.

IMI
10-29-2008, 03:29 PM
That's all I needed to get the feel of how it played, e.g. like a horrible console game and not a decent FPS PC game.

No need to explain, Matt. As I've said, I read the gaming forums and am very familiar with such over-generalizations lacking specificity...

Bog
10-29-2008, 04:22 PM
In Matt's defence, one does realise that one's wasting the privilege of having the best possible excuse to maintain and utterly pimp gaming rig - one that is indeed "off the hook" - on this.

It's not a FarCry game. It doesn't even take 15 minutes to realise that. Because if it was, within 15 minutes, one would have dribbled twice, died three times and sworn three-factorial times.

IMI
10-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Well I guess unfortunately it IS a Far Cry game, just not THE Far Cry game.
Maybe y'all will get lucky next time around though - Fallout 3 has more Morrowind elements than Oblivion did, and that's what alot of people didn't like about Oblivion - that it wasn't Morrowind. So maybe Ubisoft will take notice...

I guess my ignorance is a benefit this time. I have no idea what Far Cry was about, therefore I have nothing to hold far Cry 2 up against, and I can enjoy it for what it IS and not what I unrealistically expected it to be. ;)

Bog
10-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Truth. As I say, it's not a Bad Game, apart from the bugs which are *exactly* where a prior Far Crier would immediately go to find them. It's just like releasing a sequel to Blade Runner that's about contemporary drug smugglers. In fact, it's almost exactly like that. but without the robots.

Or something.

Back to the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness for me....

Matt
10-29-2008, 04:56 PM
I just gave it another go, these things pissed me off no end and I had to stop playing:

- Constant 'Help' messages, really annoying and no way to turn them off

- When 'Press 5 to use the map' one came up, I couldn't get rid of it, even opening the map, and closing it, the message was still there, so had to keep walking around with the damn message on screen

- Can't enter any cars, no keyboard shortcut for it listed in the game controls, tried pressing _every_ key on the keyboard, none worked.

- Can't switch weapons with the mouse scroll wheel, just can't get it working at all

- Any 'Help' messages that include a modified hotkey don't list the newly assigned key so the message is wrong

- No mouse smoothing on the movement (when looking around) so everything is really unrealistic and harsh, makes the game feel cheap

- Finally met some enemies after having to walk for ages (due to no car) they do seem to spot you a mile off, the bushes might as well not be there, they seem to offer no cover whatsoever

- Despite boasting a huge map and non-linear gameplay, the game missions are horribly linear, very 'go here, do this, go there, do that' no sense of openness at all

- Was told at one point to hold down my mouse button 4 to bring up the monocular to carry out surveillance, didn't work, tried all other buttons, keys, nothing. Again, no hotkey listed in the game controls, so you're left clueless

- Game came to load a new mission or something, hung while loading, let it for 10mins, still had the spinning load symbol, had to force quit the game

I don't think I'll be playing this again unless a patch is released that fixes, well, the WHOLE game, because as it stands, Far Cry 2 is a FAR CRY from the (very good) original game.

If you were thinking of buying this, DON'T, you WILL be disappointed, it's truly an awful PC shooter.

Bog
10-29-2008, 04:59 PM
The bugs are biting a lot harder for you than they did for me, Matt. Apart from the monocular being unusuable due to uberjitter mouse-speed (as oppposed to, say, some hearty drifting due to heartbeat and breathing in the one they did, what, five years ago) and my previously mentioned bugs, I didn't have any of that crap. Sorry to hear it.... but if it happenned to you, it can happen to someone else.

Matt
10-29-2008, 05:15 PM
The game just feels rushed, and they made some horrible game play decisions.

I would love to be in charge of quality on things like this, to me, I can see so clearly where things just don't _feel_ right, same goes for software, not wishing to blow my own trumpet, but I think I have a good feel for these things.

I think being a designer gives you a heightened sense of timing and flow for interaction, be it a game or a piece of application software.

Captain Obvious
10-29-2008, 05:49 PM
I bought Far Cry (the first) off Amazon the other day/week. It was only like £2, so I figured why not. I haven't played it yet, though...

Maybe y'all will get lucky next time around though - Fallout 3 has more Morrowind elements than Oblivion did, and that's what alot of people didn't like about Oblivion - that it wasn't Morrowind. So maybe Ubisoft will take notice...
I would guess that the thing a lot of people didn't like Oblivion, was the fact that it wasn't actually very good at all. Completely broken leveling system, stupid random encounters, immersion broken constantly by idiot NPCs talking spunk to themselves, thanks to the wonderfully broken procedural jabbering engine. Feh.

Lamont
10-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Oh that's just fking great.

Fired up Dead Space, and guess what. You CAN'T edit all your keys (won't allow editing of arrow keys, you are FORCED to use WSAD keys).

And no support for multi-button mice either.

This is a BIG mistake by EA, they SHOULD know better, what on God's Earth was the programme manager for this game thinking. ANY normal FPS gamer knows this stuff.

I am NOT happy at all with either of these games.

WHY can't these idiots get the basic right - the ability to setup your gaming environment / controls.

Christ, I should work as a usability consultant for these people, they clearly haven't got a clue.I use a program that lets the user map keys to gamepads or however they want for a particular application. PM me if you want it.

The game was meant for console. Same fate as Assassin's Creed.

IMI
10-29-2008, 11:54 PM
I don't have any problems with controls or mapping keys - none at all.
Matt, do you have a USB Wacom plugged in, by chance? I once had a problem with something else like you and Bog describe, and unplugging my Wacom while using it solved the problem.

All those on-screen messages, BTW, are the tutorial mode, and they go away entirely after your first couple small missions, if you follow the direction it's leading you in and see it through.

IMI
10-30-2008, 12:05 AM
I bought Far Cry (the first) off Amazon the other day/week. It was only like £2, so I figured why not. I haven't played it yet, though...

I would guess that the thing a lot of people didn't like Oblivion, was the fact that it wasn't actually very good at all. Completely broken leveling system, stupid random encounters, immersion broken constantly by idiot NPCs talking spunk to themselves, thanks to the wonderfully broken procedural jabbering engine. Feh.

I got big into Oblivion, but more for the mod tools than the game itself.
I guess I'm some sort of an anomaly here in that more than half the fun of a game is in whether I can mod it or not and if I can mod existing game elements, and import models, and Oblivion was perfect for that. Seems kind of strange on a 3D forum nobody seems to be interested in any of that. ;)

Crysis, for example. The game was great, the graphics beautiful, but when I reached an impasse I couldn't beat no matter what I lost interest and started messing with the Crytek Sandbox Editor, which gave me far more fun that the game itself ever did.
But like I said, I must be some kind of an anomaly. ;)

EDIT:
And I do in fact have more fun with the Far Cry 2 Editor than in the game. Too bad the MP really sucks. REALLY sucks. If you're lucky enough to iron out the Punkbuster problems and even get connected, that is....

DiedonD
10-30-2008, 12:27 AM
Im in the brink of buying the 'Devil May Cry' series. Yeah, when I getem, I getem all at once.

Can anyone have a say on the game? Is it really that good to have 4 series for it?

Bog
11-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Well, just to make all you Xbox 360 owners wince in communal agony, I decided to console (aha) myself with Dead Space on Friday night, for Pre-Weekend frolics.

Red Ring of Death the moment I powered up the '360. Damn, damn, DAMN!

So, working all weekend.

Joy.

*sigh*