PDA

View Full Version : How do you 3D text????

virtualcomposer
10-23-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm in Modeler and I get into text mode but it's 2D and I can't figure out how to make it 3D or thicken it. Please help.

blindsided
10-23-2008, 03:51 PM
hi,
you can use the Extrude tool in polygon mode to put some depth into the text.
Some times the polys are facing the wrong way when you extrude, so just extrude in the other direction. (or flip th epolys before extruding)

then if you select the front faces of the text and use the BEVEL tool, you can create a little BEVEL too.

CC Rider
10-23-2008, 03:52 PM
just bang out the text in 2D. Then use the Extrude tool (Shift E)to make it 3D, and bevel to taste...
Be sure to extrude in the opposite direction of the normal or your text will be inside out!

:D

Ha ha Blindside beat me by 1 minute...I hate it when that happens!

virtualcomposer
10-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Hey thanks guys. It works and now I can continue on my "quest"

prometheus
10-24-2008, 07:30 AM
check what buttons you have under the text tool, depending on what lightwave version you have?

there is the logo that makes just that, a logo from your text and directly extruded in 3d, but no other control.

And theres Text layers wich are more powerful you can choose either 2d or have them extruded with control and control bevel, and (kernel) font spacing from there with a preview.
also you can control different layer types as to if you want letters,words in layers or as one object.

Michael

safetyman
10-27-2008, 06:40 AM
One thing you might consider also, and I learned this recently -- give the text a little roundness on the front faces (using the bevel tool). This will eliminate the flatness on your text, especially if you are using a metal or high-gloss texture. Just a thought.