PDA

View Full Version : 3Ds max or Lightwave 3D?

kasigawa
10-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Which one is better, because me and my animation teacher are bragging our butts off trying to convince which is better; Lightwave or 3ds max. In the end we ended the conversation with a "I beleive both are equil" and a "They both have their individual tasks.

I like using lightwave, because it's my fluent application. He uses 3Ds max which is his aplication of choice. He has used lightwave 7.0, but that's all he can only recall how lightwave was.

I want to decide to which is finally better, but i don't think there is an answer, so i'll leave it up to you to decide. :lwicon:

So which do you think is better?

RollerJesus
10-23-2008, 11:27 AM
I tried to answer in all obscure looking icons but I realized that wasn't a productive method of creating anything at all.

SplineGod
10-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Better in what way and under which circumstances?

Chris S. (Fez)
10-23-2008, 12:20 PM
In capable hands, they are both productive programs.

Join the Beta. 9.5.x is a different beast even from 9.5. Lightwave is a render pass manager away from making Max more or less obsolete in my personal rendering/animation pipeline.

I still do most modeling in Max cause of the history stack and Polyboost.

grn
10-23-2008, 12:34 PM
I've always modeled precision acquiring hard surfaces stuff much quicker in LW than my 3DSM comrades in their package, and I'm not one of the fastest LW modelers. Anyone has met the same phenomenon ?

OlaHaldor
10-23-2008, 12:48 PM
At a LAN-party I got my hands on a friends computer who's working with Max.. And I almost crapped my pants and puked at the same time. I didn't feel anything was as intuitive, like the first time I opened Modeler. "I wanna make a dice.. hmm.. Ah! BOX!"

In Max I had to hover my mouse over the different tools and wait for a tooltip to appear, in fear I would destroy something, or even push the wrong button to make China disappear from the map. :screwy:

Icons are OK if they are few, but important - Max has too many of them to fit into my brains. Icons in Final Cut, Shake and After Effects are the only ones I need at the moment..

shrox
10-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Max is more complicated than it needs to be. The way you can go back and change stuff in such detail with the stack is nice, but I don't make so many mistakes I would need to back up that much. I find overly complicated. And waiting for a toll tip to appear while hovering over an icon is a really workflow showstopper.

Matt
10-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Every time I try Max I just can't get on with it, but then, if I started with Max and tried LightWave, I'm sure it would be the other way around.

One thing about Max I do envy though, it has VRay available for it.

shrox
10-23-2008, 02:15 PM
I got Max about two weeks before I got the DECAlpha from Amblin with LW4. Instantly Lightwave was just so much more easier to use.

geo_n
10-23-2008, 07:09 PM
lw = easier to use and affordable
max = more mainstream and more work available.

which is finally better as you say? probably what job is available in your country using x software.
autodesk just acquired xsi. hard to go against the industry leader.

hrgiger
10-23-2008, 07:55 PM
One is owned by an evil greedy corporation. The other is Lightwave.

kasigawa
10-24-2008, 02:03 PM
You got that right! 3Ds max bought a program, and soon it wants to rule the 3d universe. XD

The Dommo
10-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Max is more complicated than it needs to be. The way you can go back and change stuff in such detail with the stack is nice, but I don't make so many mistakes I would need to back up that much. I find overly complicated. And waiting for a toll tip to appear while hovering over an icon is a really workflow showstopper.

You've used an Alpha?! :beerchug:

3DGFXStudios
10-24-2008, 02:56 PM
I always say. It doesn't matter if you use a red or a blue hammer. Hitting the nail is what counts.

shrox
10-24-2008, 04:01 PM
You've used an Alpha?! :beerchug:

Yes, it was during SeaQuest and Voyager. I didn't work on those, I was working on "The Hive 2".

AbnRanger
10-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Every time I try Max I just can't get on with it, but then, if I started with Max and tried LightWave, I'm sure it would be the other way around.

One thing about Max I do envy though, it has VRay available for it.
And finalRender...and Thinking Particles...and CAT....and Afterburn...and FumeFX, etc. The 3rd party support is probably it's biggest asset, no question.

GraphXs
10-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Ya, V-Ray is great, alot nicer/easier then Mental-Ray! I use both Max/LW at work, I'm quicker in modeling in LW. Just can't get used to using the gizmos when modeling, I feel non-restricted in LW. Even the Maya guys at my job like how free LW modeling seems to be compared to Max/Maya. Endomorphs saved some bad modeling/Morphing issues from Max before. Even LW render I use for quick node materials, because it so much easier then Max material editor IMO. The worst thing about Max is Z is up! It has been a pain with the RT games we create, because we have to correct it to be Y is up like every other 3D package. The command panel in Max is awful as far as display goes. the timeline has some nice features in Max, but LW is easier to get to start/end frames. Both Max/LW are bloated with tools that do similar functions, both need to clean house. As for nice features in Max, constraits are easy to set-up, Biped is a nice feature but feels alittle outdated, IK set-up is easy, Aligning objects is easy and the stack is a nice feature.

Imatk
10-27-2008, 11:52 AM
I started using Max and used it for a year.

I now use Lightwave... I have not used Max in a very long time other than to open it here and there so I can't comment about the effectiveness.

But I agree with what others have said, it really depends on what you consider "better."

If you want to get a job in video games... LEARN MAX. Period... end of story.

If you aren't concerned with getting a job and 3d is just a hobby, try both out and see which one you prefer.

Lightwave is used for a lot of television production, so if you're looking to get into that then Lightwave would be a great choice.

But in the end it's all the same stuff. Different buttons in different places that achieve the same goal albeit somewhat differently.

I'm now fairly proficient with XSI, and Maya and I'm sure if I spent some time with Max I'd get up to speed on that.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

If Lightwave could implement dynamics the way Maya does I'd be a very happy camper though I'll say that ;)