PDA

View Full Version : Where is Align Polygons???

POTO2220
10-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Can't seem to find Align Polygons in this beta. Used to be right there with Flip, etc....now there is nothing. Did they hide that command somewhere?? I've been scratching my head for days...looked through all the menus....help! LOL

Sekhar
10-23-2008, 10:00 AM
One place is under Refine->Polygons. Why not just search/find in Alt+F10?

Ztreem
10-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Align is replaced with a tool called 'unify normals', that's maybe why you don't find it.

biliousfrog
10-24-2008, 07:00 AM
Align is replaced with a tool called 'unify normals', that's maybe why you don't find it.

...and I've yet to find a situation where it works.

Sekhar
10-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Hmm... I have a tool called "Align Polygons" that is mapped to two locations by default: "Refine->Polygons->Align" and "Polygons->Refine->Align." And it's worked fine for me so far. This is under Windows.

There is also a "Unify Normals" (which isn't mapped by default for me), but the two seem to be different, even if what they do is similar.

Chuck
10-24-2008, 04:51 PM
...and I've yet to find a situation where it works.

Then you need to start submitting bug reports on any situation you encounter where it fails, because I searched the bug database and we have none on any problems with Unify Normals. We'll fix bugs happily, but you've got to report them for that to happen.

biliousfrog
10-26-2008, 05:12 AM
Then you need to start submitting bug reports on any situation you encounter where it fails, because I searched the bug database and we have none on any problems with Unify Normals. We'll fix bugs happily, but you've got to report them for that to happen.

Yeah I will, but it doesn't seem to work on anything that I've tried so far so I just assumed that it was for something other than an 'align' replacement. At least I know that it isn't working as expected rather than me doing something wrong.

Every time that I've run the plugin it has randomly flipped a bunch of polys that didn't need it and completely ignored the ones that are flipped. I even tried selecting the problem area and running the plugin and it ignored the selection and flipped some random poly's elsewhere.

To be fair, I've only needed it on really complex engineering files that have been converted from DWG's but I expect that they are what the tool is designed for. I've just checked double-sided and prayed for a clean render instead.

Sensei
10-26-2008, 08:31 AM
biliousfrog, the first thing I thought after reading your message was "did you merge points before using Align/Unify Normals?"..

geo_n
10-26-2008, 09:09 AM
just did a simple test. make a box and flip the bottom poly. Try unify and somehow its unpredictable which polys are flipped back.

cagey5
10-26-2008, 09:52 AM
just did a simple test. make a box and flip the bottom poly. Try unify and somehow its unpredictable which polys are flipped back.

Just tried it. Every time the remaining 5 polys were flipped too, rather than the 1 that was out of step. Doing it on any other poly and it performs as expected.

Silkrooster
10-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Yep your right. If you do not select a poly first they do flip in. I assume since no poly was selected the plugin is guessing which way the polys face.
Now try selecting one of the correct polys then running the plugin and see what happens.
Silk