PDA

View Full Version : Help Please!!!! Morphing Ideas

POTO2220
10-23-2008, 05:56 AM
Hello,
I have a crunch-time request. I'm doing a medical animation and I have a device that I've received the parts from Solidworks to bring into LW. I've done all the conversions and have all the individual parts as lw objects. Fully textured and ready to animate. The problem I'm having is this:

This device has an open and closed position. The engineer gave me a part to the model that has an open and closed state )frozen from solidworks) and I need to be able to morph OR animate the actual closing of the device between these two parts. Trouble is I can't simply make the closed part a morph target to the open part....even though they are the same part just in different states, the engineer provided me with different gemoetry...meaning that they wont morph back and forth because the have a different point/poly count.

Do you gurus have any ways I can animate this part closing utilizing the two states of the model - open and closed even though they dont share the same number of points?? If I had time, I would ask the engineer to help, but I only have one week to do this animation and I am at a road block with this.

anything I can do?? or should I just dissolve one out with opacity and dissolve one in ....I really do need to show this part closing, but don't have the time to fix the point count or make them equal....any help is appreciated. I hope my description makes sense.

SplineGod
10-23-2008, 07:35 AM
Why not use the 2nd one as a guide in modeler to create a morph target from the first one?
Is it possible to animate using bones etc etc?

POTO2220
10-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Why not use the 2nd one as a guide in modeler to create a morph target from the first one?
Is it possible to animate using bones etc etc?

I was thinking about bones....problem is with modeling the target (even using the new state as a guide), this is some crazzzy geometry....its a medical device, and this is one small part inside that compresses....its the most insane geometry and if I had weeks to do it I would try to change the original into a target morph state...but with no time here, I need a quick fix....bones might work...in fact, that might be all I have...glad you reminded me. any other quick tricks??

SplineGod
10-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Id also consider taking some time to simplify the geometry.

toonafish
10-23-2008, 05:27 PM
if the camera does not move while the morph is happening you could try to "fake it" with a 2D morph.

you can even do that within Lightwave, just trace the base shape with the pen tool and create a morph that fits the target shape by tweaking the vertices. Then fade one image to the other while you morph from one shape to another.

If you do it quickly it might work.