PDA

View Full Version : How do I get rid of banding in FibreFX

Roger Harris
10-23-2008, 02:47 AM
Hello.

Here's a pic of a Raptor I am using as a way to learn about FibreFX. As you can see he's looking nice and warm and furry but what are those horrible vertical bands down his fur? I have tried changing settings for length, clump, density etc. etc. but nothing cures it. Weird that they don't follow fur direction either?

Any ideas how I can stop this?

many thanks
Roger

zapper1998
10-23-2008, 03:08 AM
get a bigger gun .....
no just kidding ..

on the shading tab there are colors for both the root and fiber
make them the same color..

i think that is it, i do not have ff open right now..
michael

Roger Harris
10-23-2008, 03:17 AM
HI Michael,

I don't see that? I have the fur coloured by a uv texture map (to get the stripes) in the 'color' tab but I don't have separate options for root or tip in either color or shading?

Roger

Otterman
10-23-2008, 03:21 AM
Thats not banding its a morie pattern

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moiré_pattern

You need more irregularity in the fibre angle to break it up!

Roger Harris
10-23-2008, 03:37 AM
Ahh, Moiré. Good idea Otterman! I will investigate later as a job has just come in. (damn those clients stopping me playing!)

thanks
Roger

Matt
10-23-2008, 04:35 AM
Actually it is shading banding, usually caused by the FFX shadows, it's one of the problems yet to be fully resolved.

If you've not got it set already, try setting your shadows to 'Point Sample' in FFX. Although I suspect you might have it on this already, as I've discovered the banding is still present even when using this shadow type, which was introduced to resolve this problem.

Failing that, try disturbing your fibers with bump and other settings to break them up a bit.

WilliamVaughan
10-23-2008, 04:45 AM
I've found adjusting your shadow settings will fix the issue....

Roger Harris
10-23-2008, 05:04 AM
Thanks for all the help chaps. As soon as I finish this job I'll play with my shadows and see if I can fix it.

cheers,
Roger

Roger Harris
10-23-2008, 07:32 AM
Well, Back to the drawing board.

As soon as I change the shadow depth to 32 Layout crashes when I render.
I'll take this over to the beta list.

R

Roger Harris
10-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Problem Solved!

Nothing to do with shadows helped at all. It was Fiber Kink. Took that out (ie 0%) and all the banding went. Rendering sped up no end too! happy again...

Roger