PDA

View Full Version : Introduction to Flakes

WilliamVaughan
10-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Introduction to Flakes:
Right-Click Here to save (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/LW_9/Nodes_Flakes.mov)

JeffrySG
10-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Not trying to sound too flakey, but... you rock! :) ;)

WilliamVaughan
10-22-2008, 09:02 PM
The light went on for me after James let me in on the "Big" secret to flakes...that changed everything for me with the Flakes texture...very cool stuff!

THREEL
10-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Help!!!

I'm right clicking on "Right-Click Here to save", but the "Save target as" option is grayed out. Is this a problem on my end?

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

WilliamVaughan
10-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Help!!!

I'm right clicking on "Right-Click Here to save", but the "Save target as" option is grayed out. Is this a problem on my end?

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

strange...works here in Firefox and IE

THREEL
10-22-2008, 09:34 PM
strange...works here in Firefox and IE

I'm working in IE. Could there possiblely be something in my internet options that maybe accidentally got shut off that would cause me not to be able to save something like this?

Wickster
10-22-2008, 09:49 PM
you can try just clicking on it to open it with your browser then once it's open just do a "save as..." and make sure you save with a .mov extension.

virtualcomposer
10-23-2008, 09:14 AM
I keep telling my wife, "why rent a movie when we can watch William's awesome tutorial videos?" We ended up getting a romantic comedy. LOL Guess she's not quite the animation junky as I am.

SaturnX
10-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Really cool video.
For some reason, I felt like i was rediscovering nodes again watching that... so many possibilities, my heads fryin! :thumbsup:

WilliamVaughan
10-23-2008, 09:25 AM
I keep telling my wife, "why rent a movie when we can watch William's awesome tutorial videos?" We ended up getting a romantic comedy. LOL Guess she's not quite the animation junky as I am.

ROFL...that just made my day!

Korvar
10-23-2008, 09:37 AM
The fact that flakes, crackle, crumple, and crust all line up is intriguing...

JeffrySG
10-23-2008, 10:48 AM
You know why I love these videos? I always pick up little things that are not the main topic! I just never realized you could input another texture into the position to 'roughen' up an existing texture! I needed to do that last week but couldn't figure it out!

Thanks again, William!

caesar
10-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Interesting, after watching this video and render a frame with MC radiosity, I noticed that when the multiplier option is on (25% in my case) the radiosity samples calculation is very similar to the flakes pattern...is that right?

biliousfrog
10-28-2008, 05:09 AM
You know why I love these videos? I always pick up little things that are not the main topic! I just never realized you could input another texture into the position to 'roughen' up an existing texture! I needed to do that last week but couldn't figure it out!

Thanks again, William!

Same here, I use texture displace a lot but wasn't sure how to achieve the same thing with nodes.

It would be great to have a bunch of basic node tutorials because I'm still not using them anywhere near as much as I should. I still find the layers easier to work with despite loving the power of the node system...I don't quite 'get' how certain nodes are supposed to work or where they should be plugged in and use them more-or-less like layers (basically, in a long winded way).

WilliamVaughan
10-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Have you watche dteh Node videos that are on the LW site... quite a few.

There have also been some good Node articles in HDRI3D

virtualcomposer
10-28-2008, 08:54 AM
well "noded". I'll check it out.

JeffrySG
11-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Just an interesting surface I was fooling with using flakes into the car paint material. These vids are really opening up a lot for me!

JeffrySG
11-04-2008, 11:32 AM
^the preset is posted on PresetCentral if anyone would like to use it as well.

http://www.presetcentral.com/preset/328/

JeffrySG
11-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Another texture that uses flakes. Available on PresetCentral as well.

http://www.presetcentral.com/preset/329/

jameswillmott
11-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Interesting, after watching this video and render a frame with MC radiosity, I noticed that when the multiplier option is on (25% in my case) the radiosity samples calculation is very similar to the flakes pattern...is that right?

Yes, it's very similar.