PDA

View Full Version : LW 7.5c causes computer hang

Julius Caesar
08-05-2003, 01:19 AM
Hello,
I use Lightwave 7.5c on a machine with two screens and a Matrox Parhelia graphic card. One month ago I had to change the mother board as it was clearly incompatible with the Parhleia and caused several crashes and reboot, forcing me to reinstall everything from scratch every three weeks. This for almost one year! After the installation of the new motherboard I started to use my beloved LW again but now I am experiencing another very annoying effect. From time to time, and at completely random pattern, the system hangs. "Hangs" in my case means that everything on the screen freezes. LW, the mouse pointer, everything. I have to reboot the system using the reset button.
Sometime also Modeler dies prematurely by displaying that message "Modeler caused error etc etc"!

I would like to know if somebody else in the community is experiencing the same issues, and if somebody found how fix it. I am using Win2000 (yeah! XP still sucks) with SP2 (don't like SP3). I have a really controlled environment where I don't install crap
software or shareware "just to test"...!
Thank very much for any suggestion you could post to help me to solve this problem...
Best regards

Julius

Julius Caesar
08-06-2003, 01:50 AM
Hello,
yesterday evening I had about 15 hangs! Lost my work about ten times. I am quite worried for my registry, that looks so critical. I have then disabled the Graphic Acceleration and "it seems" that the situation is going better...
But, have you tried to use Modeler without hardware acceleration? It is very sloooooooooooooooowwwwwww.....
Well... it is good that at least I have identified the problem.

Anyway, I am the only one in this community to use a Matrox Parhelia?

Cheers

Julius

Julius Caesar
08-06-2003, 06:07 AM
Hello,
me again... Just another step toward the solution. After some tuning with few parameters, I have discovered that I do not need to disable totally the Hardware Acceleration. I have just disable "one step down", the one that says: "Disable cursor and bitmap acceleration. Use this setting to correct problem etc etc". I have played a while with that instable scene and I did not have any further crashes. I think I will write a memo to Matrox to inform them about this problem... But I am afraid they will just throw it in the trash can... Never had a useful support from Matrox... They limit to say "Wait for the next release of the drivers..."... Well! I hope that this thread will now move down on the list (meaning no further post in it!).
Thank you and best regards

Julius

Amadeus0
08-06-2003, 07:29 AM
It seems that you've found the problem. Matrox has never really had good OpenGL support. I'd recommend a Geforce4 ti 4200 card for serious OpenGL at a cheap price (under $100.) One other small possibility could be some bad ram in the machine, but given the above info, I'd doubt it.

(Replacing amotherboard 'cause it doesn't work with a graphics card?...*sheesh*...Talk about being a picky card...)

Julius Caesar
08-07-2003, 03:15 AM
Hello,
me again... Thanks for the hint...
I have scanned the forum and nVidia seems to be a bit more accredited than ATI products... It seems that ATI have not that good OpenGL support...
Well... I think I will have a try... I am wondering also if our friends in Newtek have a preferred card! I mean, do they use ANY type of grafic card or they have some preferences? That would be nice to know.. I have searched this info on the Forums but may be I have missed the post or searched with the wrong key!
Thank for your post!
Best regards to all Lightwavers!!

Julius

PS: The mother board was an ASUS something but I think it was damaged in some way... Had stability issue with other 2 Graphic Cards (Matrox G400 and a Hercules Prophet)...

Julius Caesar
08-08-2003, 07:40 AM
Hello...
This is like a soap opera... Yesterday evening, after a couple of hang, finally my Win2000 lost my profiles (and everything with) due to the "reset" I had to do after the freezing stuff... Well, another weekend to spend to reinstall everything! I have contacted my hardware shop and I have ordered a nVidia based video card, an ASUS 9280TD that MUST now be fully compatible with the Mother Board. Well and all the rest.. the bottom line of this thread looks quite clear: DO NOT BUY MATROX HARDWARE if you are planning to do some (even not that serious) work with LIGHTWAVE 7.X!!!!! They are unstable, could show some incompatibility with underlying hardware (my case is an evidence!) and they have quite incomplete and buggy OpenGL support.
If you want to use them for games, well, that is fine, but you can also use a 100$ card and it will work as well!

Thank you for your time and best regards

Julius

P.S. Newtek guys never answered to my question... A couple of hints could help other persons with nasty video card problems.....

BeeVee
08-08-2003, 09:01 AM
Here at NewTek Europe I can second the recommendation for nVidia cards. We use them here (and at home for me) and they work very well. Matrox have always had excellent 2D performance, so for video work they are splendid, but for 3D it's nVidia all the way for me personally.

B

Julius Caesar
08-08-2003, 09:39 AM
Thank you for you post!
I hope that this post will help other Lightwavers to select correctly their hardware!

Thank again!

Julius

BeeVee
08-08-2003, 10:03 AM
I'm pretty sure that there are enough mentions of nVidia on this board for some to complain that it's acting as an advert for their cards! :)

B

Julius Caesar
08-08-2003, 04:10 PM
Hello...
Well... I can understand that this could seems like an "advert" post for some of the visitors... It is also true that if I had found a post like this one year ago I could have used my 450$ for something else, spent my weekends enjoying with my Lightwave instead of installing over and over Win 2000 and many other programs(I have LOT of 3d and 2d software), finished my work and proudly publish on the internet ancient Roman reconstructions like these I did some time ago but never had time to finish nor refine:

http://www.ostia-antica.org/vinci/vinci.htm

If, after this, the Moderator consider this post like a free advertise to nVidia products, well, he can remove from the forum, I do not mind, really! I have now the information I needed.

Thank a lot for all the help I have received from the Community...

Angelo Coccettini, Lightwaver
AKA Julius Caesar